What's the highest price you've spent on a deck?

Leonora

I spent $90 on my Ukiyoe deck. I don't read with it; it's in pretty good shape and I want to keep it that way.

Lokisen

About $35 for the "William Blake Tarot of the Creative Imagination," my favorite deck that I own; it is a reprint edition. If you go on Amazon, though, you'll see original and/or used editions that go for $150-200.

I once seriously considered buying an out-of-print "Tarot of Casanova" (I'm not usually into erotic decks, but this one's mask imagery is beautiful), but didn't succeed as the vendor had run out of copies :/

There was a period of time a while back when I was still new to Tarot, I looked at all these decks and wanted to buy them (I bet this is common), but didn't in the end. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't because I realized I would have gotten bored of them quickly; also saved quite a bit of money.

vee

The most I've paid is $110, for the Phantomwise. I have decks that are worth more that I got through lucky deals, or trades.

I don't see anything wrong with paying a high price for a much wanted and loved deck. If you have the income, it's good to spend some money on one thing you'll treasure instead of buying a bunch of cheap things you won't love or use!

If I had more money, there are a few expensive decks I would buy in a heartbeat. Someday! :)

papercandy

Well over 300 but I'm saving now so can have 600 so I can bid on a deck I hope coming up. I would pay probably 900 at most at this point on one deck but I don't have that kind of money YET. 150 to 300 dollars you can get a nice deck . Basically yeah it's up to how bad u want something and how hard ull work to get money. I'm gangbusters I'm intense and I will get the decks I want eventually .

Lil Red

The highest price I paid so far was $40.25 though that will change soon since I have my eyes on a deck that cost $160.

JenWt43

I recently paid a little over $100 US for a Bohemian Gothic, and I have no regrets! I have a "use it or lose it" rule though, so I do use it, and I would use it to read for others. (However, I only ask them to cut the deck, after I shuffle.) In the past, I never purchased back-up copies of decks, but I did recently buy an extra copy of the Baroque Bohemian Cats and of the Victorian Romantic, since they were still available for retail and because they read well for me.

I am waiting for the Alice deck to be published by Baba, and I think I read somewhere that the retail is going to be quite pricey this time. But I know I will cave in and get it, and have to serve soup for dinner for weeks. :)

As for other self-published decks, I think the most I paid was $65.

Rasa

I've bought most of my decks used, for cheap.. under $20 for most. I think everything that was mass-produced eventually turns up in a secondhand bookshop, or slips under the radar on Ebay eventually, so if you're patient and vigilant, you can even get your hands on OOP things for very little money.

In the last couple years, there have been 4 exceptions:

The first deck I ever spent what I considered to be a lot of money on was a large Illuminated Tarot from Carol Herzer, with irridescent paint added. I paid $180 for it.. and remember being terrified that it would get lost in the mail, that I wouldn't really like it, or that the cards would fall apart.
Unexpectedly, it became one of my primary reading decks, and has remained such for several years.

I think that not only is it a great deck, but also one has to remember that the artist put many hours of work into creating it... I think supporting people who create beautiful things is a great thing to do, even if it means having to save up for a few months to do so.

A few months ago I bit the bullet and bought another deck from her.. one with heavy glitter and irridescents painted on, for about double the price. I couldn't really afford that, and am still paying off the credit card as a result. Probably worth it... because.. sparkly!!!! ;)

About a year ago, I spotted an antique deck on ebay France that I had always wanted but suspected I would never have a chance to own... a Grimaud Arnoult (1891! wow!) Some money had appeared unexpectedly around that time, and I took it as a sign that I should put in a bid. I couldn't believe it when I won!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45958274@N04/sets/72157629475901350/with/6942061182/
I paid $350, including insured shipping from France. I justified it with the age/rarity of the deck, and also that it was one I'd had my eye on before.
I have never been so excited to get a deck in my life!... but it's killing me because I've had to wait more than a year to actually see and hold it. I don't ship expensive things to Uruguay because of theft/loss/delays in the postal system and high import taxes. Instead, I send things to a friend in Canada, and she hangs on to them until I have a chance to travel and get them in person.
Fortunately, my husband is travelling soon, and returning in mid-May with my precious cargo, so I don't have to wait too much longer. I feel a little guilty that I think I will be more excited to get my hands on my cards (this deck, the above sparkly, the one I'm about to describe, and a couple others) than on the hubby that I'll have then gone 3 weeks without seeing! :S

The only other expensive deck I've bought was a 1929 J.A. Knapp.
I think it was a steal at $100, even though the condition is not very good (but that just adds character, in such an old deck!). I have rarely even seen this deck for sale... I always thought I'd eventually get the OOP USGames version, and had been keeping an eye out for it for years. It was an impulse buy, but I'm quite excited about it anyway. No regrets!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45958274@N04/sets/72157630863251628/

I have also -almost- bought the Thomson Leng about 4 times and been outbid in the last seconds... I'm sure that will be another deck I'll end up spending too much on at some point in the future.

SwampLady

I bought the original signed Tarot of Dreams. I believe it was right around 80 bucks? I don't remember. I saved up for two months to get it, and enjoyed it while i had it.

Now I am looking at a deck for right around the same price, but it is a majors only deck and I having to talk myself into saving up for that one.

swedishfish612

It's a tie for me. I paid around $150 for Bohemian Gothic as well as the Daniloff. The Daniloff ended up being $150 with the shipping, so I guess I *really* paid more for the BoGo, which shipped free.

mellowcheddar

About $45 for my Marco Nizzoli "Secret Tarot." We got off to a rough start but I love, love, LOVE that deck. Money well spent. The artwork is a great mix of light and dark on all levels.
(This was in August of 2012.)