Pamela Colman Smith’s “stage cards”

Kiata

Hello to all, I have been curious about the 7 of Swords now for a while, as they repeatedly come up for theater but could not find anyone else making this connection .. Anyhow, while doing some research I learned about Pamela Colman Smith’s “stage cards” and was surprised to find the 7 Swords listed as well. Hurray, food for thought. :)

So, I have heard the first time today about the "stage cards" that Pamela Colman Smith supposedly has added into the Rider Waite deck. In total she has changed / added some detail in thirteen cards within the Rider Waite deck. They are the cards that on which the characters appear to stand on a stage indicated by a horizontal line that runs along the lower portion of the card to mark a backdrop of a stage.

From what I have read, I understand there are three ways to consider. The idea is that inadvertently everyone of us, participates in staged events as Audience, Originator and Performer.

These are the 13 stage cards:

Two of Pentacles
Four of Pentacles
Six of Pentacles
Eight of Pentacles
Two of Cups
Five of Cups
Ten on Cups
Page of Cups
Two of Swords
Five of Swords
Seven of Swords
Four of Wands
Ten of Wands

Does anyone here utilize Stage Cards to add meaning ? Have you ever come across a meaningful " stage card" in your reading?

I will from now on pay close attention :) Would be great to hear your opinion on this. <3

tarotbear

Ths is the first time I have even heard of this being 'documented' - I have always explained to my classes that the 5 of Swords is like people on a stage - some are closer to you, some are farther from you. In my explanations it has to do with the fact that there is only one figure in most of the Majors and you always accept that central or largest figure as the situation or the person being read about. However, in the 'stage' cards the largest person is NOT necessarily the subject of the reading. In the 5 Swords the largest figure is the "Victor" and the others are the "Losers" and the person you are reading for my see themselves as one of the Losers. Likewise the Six of Pentacles - are they (the Querent) giving money away or are they in need of receiving some?

Kiata

Thank you so much guys for your responses. Thank you Rosanne and rwcarter for the sources you have shared with me. I was unable to find it on the forum. ( I am only learning now that our lady is also called "Pixie" :) ) Cheers! thanks for the brilliant index link! that will help me find my way around : )

I love your explanation, tarotberar ! That is a great way of explaining the 5 Swords, nice. I wish I could sit in your class ;)
I found your explanation super helpful too Rosanne. I will take some time now and read through all the posts. Following the link you shared I read your elaboration on that topic with taking the 4 coins as an example. To look at the cards before and after a 'stage ' card can help us see the connection. So the moment of a stage card is a defining moment ? Are we presented with that chance of becoming aware of who we are in a certain "moment" / "stage" of an event or live phase and change ?

It clicks in my head as a moment of awareness, you see yourself form the "outside" ? Stepping away for a moment and becoming aware ? Like an identification with a role, while watching a play : ) that is a powerful experience and can release blockages within us and rise awareness of ourselfs? It can help us rise above and make a breakthrough by identifying, looking at a mirror and thereby confronted by "ourselfs" and thereby made aware of aspects, with our shadows, perhaps?

The bully who realizes his victories are empty, just false ego identification and becomes aware, or even becomes aware that what he does has a bad effect on others, soemthing he didn't realise before ?
Do we see the bigger picture when presented with a stage card? We see the stage, we are aware of all people involved, of our own action and of ourselfs?

tarotbear, would you go as far as saying the 5 swords has a transparency inherent. It is a stage, "we all see it".

Sorry I got carried away here, I am so excited about this topic. I will read through the sources and let it sink first, before I ramble your ears bloody. :)
Your replies really made may day, a coffee now and reading through the sources. what a nice sunday.

Bisous xx