Nigel Jackson - Fortitude XI

sapienza

This is my favourite depiction of this card in any deck. I have to admit that Fortitude, or Strength, has always been one of those cards that I have struggled to come to grips with, especially in the context of a reading. There always seems so little to say other than, well, strength.

In this card we see a maiden sitting with a lion who is licking her hand as she rubs its back. Both she and the lion appear calm. In the background are a row of pillars and a mountain. The sun seems to be just about to rise from behind it and the sky lights up with suns early rays.

What I love about this card is that it incorporates both the lion and maiden and the pillars that are seen in traditional tarot imagery. The maiden and lion are believed to be a representation of Cyrene, the nymph of Artemis, who Apollo fell in love with after seeing her wresting with a lion. This was a well known symbol in renaissance times. Alternatively in early tarot decks this card is depicted with a woman breaking a pillar, possibly inspired by Samson breaking the pillar of the temple. Either way, the imagery is the personification of the virtue fortitude, considered one of the four cardinal virtues.

Possible meanings for this card are of course strength, but more specifically Nigel Jackson says it is moral or spiritual strength, rather than physical strength. Also spiritual courage, dignity, mind over matter, self control, power, courage, high endurance. Taming ones animal nature also tends to be associated with this card but it never seems to fit all that well for me.

Nigel also links this card astrologically to the Sun in Leo which brings to mind vitality, energy, charisma, success and also power.

When I see this card in a reading I always sense that there are great reserves of strength to overcome challenges. I also get the message that a pure heart is stronger than might and muscle.

Edited to add: Just read what Waite had to say in Pictorial Key to the Tarot and what was of interest was that he said the card represents the strength that comes from contemplation. I really like the idea that perhaps the sense of stillness and mindfulness the card displays could be the source of our fortitude.