Six of Disks - Success

Kathy123

From the BoT:

The Six of Disks is called Success; the ruler is the Moon. This is a card of settling down; it is very heavy, wholly lacking in imagination, yet somewhat dreamy. Change is soon coming upon it; the weight of earth will ultimately drag the current down to a mere eventuation of material things. Yet the Moon, being in Taurus, the sign of her exaltation, the best of the Lunar qualities are inherent. Moreover, being a Six, the solar Energy has fertilized her, creating a balanced system for the time being. The card is worthy of the name Success. Remember only that all success is temporary; how brief a halt upon the Path of Labour.

The Number Six, Tiphareth, as before, represents the full harmonious establishment of the Energy of the Element. The Moon in Taurus rules the card; and this, while increasing the approach to perfection (for the Moon is exalted in Taurus and therefore in her highest form) marks that the condition is transient.

The disks are arranged in the form of the Hexagram, which is shown in skeleton. In the centre blushes and glows the light rose- madder of dawn, and without are three concentric circles, golden yellow, salmon-pink, and amber. These colours show Tiphareth fully realized on Earth; it reaffirms in form what was mathematically set forth in describing the Ace.

The planets are arranged in accordance with their usual attribution; but they are only shown as disks irradiated by the Sun in their centre.

This Sun is idolized as the Rose and Cross; the Rose has forty- nine petals, the interplay of the Seven with the Seven.

Kathy123

I didn't see this card on the thread index, if this is a "repeat" thread, please forgive me.

Hence another interesting card in the disks.

I am thinking for this one, I will need to pull out my "tree of life" references :)

Kathy123

This card shows the disks in balance, a progression from the inbalance on the five. All things align.

The few things that don't sit well with my mind, are the reference to the planets and the reference to the seven by seven petals

Most information I can find shows this to be an extremely positive card, life in balance, success, manifestation.

But to me the reference of the planets being "disks irradiated by the sun" seems a bit negative. Solar "radiation" is the light and heat emitted by the sun, and to me would have been a more positive choice of words given the feel for this card. "irradiation" is the process of exposing the object to radiation. Which in today's world, isn't necessarily a good thing. To me it conjures images of cancer treatments (destruction of cells), microwave ovens (destruction and alteration of nutrients) and large giant mushroom clouds. I did a fair bit of online research with this, and the online definitions of irradiate seem to differ. They range from "to expose to radiation, to treat with radiation"... But also include "to shed light on, to illuminate, to cast rays of light upon, to enlighten intellectually or spiritually". Thoth lesson for the day, words are not now what they once meant to be. The world was a different place in the time of Crowley.

The forty nine petals on the rose also eludes me. Why would there be a reference to the next set of numbers on this card. Would thirty six petals not been more symbolic on this card? Maybe there are other cards that do the same thing?

Aeon418

The forty nine petals on the rose also eludes me. Why would there be a reference to the next set of numbers on this card.

Venus(7) rules Taurus.

7 x 7 = 49. The number of squares in the magic square of Venus.

Kathy123

Thank you. That ties it to the card a bit better now :)

Aeon418

I know it seems a bit weird to have such a blatantly Venusian symbol on this card. But here the feminine Rose is united with the masculine Cross forming one of the classic emblems of Tiphareth. The Rosy Cross.

Kathy123

Thank you for your insight, it does sit funny in my mind, not so much the symbol, but the number of the petals, and I guess the blatant reference to the number seven by Crowley/Harris. It does make sense on this card to balance the masuline and feminine energy, that sits well in my mind. Excuse my ignorance, but does the Rosy Cross symbol specifically have 49 petals?

Aeon418

Excuse my ignorance, but does the Rosy Cross symbol specifically have 49 petals?
The number of petals can vary. But there is always a meaning behind the number. Flip one of your Thoth cards over and you'll find two versions of the Rose Cross.

The small one in the center only has 5 petals and represents the microcosm of Spirit and the four elements of fire, water, air, and earth. The larger rose has 22 petals and represents the macrocosm. Each petal corresponds to one of the cards of the Major Arcana along with it's hebrew letter and astrological/planetary/elemental association.

Kathy123

Thanks again Aeon, It makes working with the cards so much more interesting to have someone in the forum with you....

I love symbolism, I am assuming so many people who work with Tarot do, and I really love all the symbolism in the Thoth... lifetime of study I am sure :)