Nigel Jackson - Eight of Coins

sapienza

In this card we see a man sitting at a table, or desk. He holds a quill and is writing on a scroll of paper. On the table are a set of balance scales holding gold coins and there are many piles of coins beside it on the table. There is also a lit candle. In the background we can see the eight coins depicting the element of the suit and an arched ceiling. There is also what appears to be a low wall with three circular features.

Etteilla lists the meaning for this card as a dark girl, chastity, modesty and innocence. The Golden Dawn call it the Lord of Prudence and Waite lists work, employment, craftsmanship, and skill in business as possible meanings. Nigel Jackson has gone with the Golden Dawn in this instance in his depiction and lists as possible divinatory meanings prudence and equilibrium in material affairs, talent and skill generating wealth, and rewards.

When I journalled about this card I wrote the following based on what I saw in the image: focusing on the details, researching and planning for an upcoming event, trying to make correct decisions as to how to do something. It is not about making a decision but rather, once the decision is made, it is about deciding on the actions to take. For example if you choose to buy a pet, then this is the time spent reading, researching and planning for when it arrives. It represents working at and mastering something, learning as much as possible, considering all the possibilities, doing the work to get the plan to actually work in practice. It may also mean burning the midnight oil (candle), taking stock, reviewing things and weighing things up.

There is so much in the imagery along the lines of all the suggested divinatory meanings as well as those which I have written about above. I suspect that when this card comes up in a reading it will be telling which detail in the image the eye is drawn to first. Overwhelmingly though it is related to working at something, whether it is researching, planning, reviewing or considering possibilities. If I had to use one keyword for this card, which fortunately I do not, I'd probably use the word analyse.