Publishing updates from the O.T.O.

Zephyros

http://www.oto.org/news0413.html

Thoth paintings on display at the Venice Biennale:

the O.T.O. said:
O.T.O. International Headquarters and the Warburg Institute arranged for the inclusion of nine of the Aleister Crowley and Frieda Harris Thoth Tarot paintings. We have held back releasing news of their inclusion until the general press releases from the Biennale went out, which happened in mid-March.

The nine paintings included are:

Atu VIII - Adjustment, 1940 Atu XII - The Hanged Man, 1938–40 Atu XV - The Devil, 1938–40 Atu XVI - The Tower (or: War), 1939 Atu XVIII - The Moon, 1938–40 Atu XIX - The Sun, 1938 Queen of Wands, 1938–40 Ace of Cups, 1940 Queen of Cups, 1938–40

As a side note, this year’s Biennale also includes work by two other Thelemite painters, Harry Smith and Xul Solar.

Thoth restoration completed

the O.T.O. said:
O.T.O. was eventually able to raise the full amount required, including extra funds beyond the original estimate to have replacement storage boxes built, totalling over $53,000. Of this, nearly $48,500 came directly from the O.T.O. membership—including several wonderfully generous individual donations, and including pooled donations sent in through local bodies. The comparatively small topup needed to complete the project came from the International Headquarters treasury.

Copyright litigation:

the O.T.O. said:
O.T.O. is filing suit in U.S. Federal Court against U.S. Games Systems, and perhaps others, over the Thoth Tarot Deck.

This distorted rights situation has also kept the color-corrected new edition of the Thoth Tarot Deck off the market in English—U.S. Games insists on selling the absurd “three-Magician” version of the deck, with its over-saturated colors that are nothing like the original paintings. Around 2007, O.T.O. went to considerable trouble and expense—with very supportive assistance from AGMüller and the Yorke Collection curators—to digitally rephotograph the deck in high resolution, using a (rented!) $100,000 Phase One camera. We even did the typsetting and layout for the new deck in multiple languages, including English, for free—all in the interests of finally getting a version out that would meet Crowley’s and Lady Harris’ exacting standards. We’ve been very disappointed—thus far, it has only appeared in German.

I have compared this printing of the deck to the original paintings, and it is almost perfect. The original paintings have not faded over time, as some have claimed (the originals have always been protected from light, barring brief exhibitions, and are stable Winsor and Newton pigments). The problem is that prior printings have been simply negligent about color correction—which was admittedly harder in the pre-digital era—and in some cases, colors have been “pushed” to get an effect the publisher likes. Matching the subtlety of the paintings themselves is much harder, but clearly worthwhile.

I don't have the new Thoth, and the fact that it's in German did make me think twice. Hope they resolve things quickly and publish and English edition quickly.

So, is anyone going to Venice?

fyreflye

I don't have the new Thoth, and the fact that it's in German did make me think twice. Hope they resolve things quickly and publish and English edition quickly.

If you know the Thoth well enough to be following this sub forum then you already know the English names of all the cards or can work them out from the Deutsch version. The color corrected German version is the one I use and recommend (not that anyone cares what I recommend :D)

JenWt43

Thank you for the information, Closrapexa.

If you know the Thoth well enough to be following this sub forum then you already know the English names of all the cards or can work them out from the Deutsch version. The color corrected German version is the one I use and recommend (not that anyone cares what I recommend :D)

I care. :) Now I am curious. I started out with the lavender box three magus edition, then I purchased a large card AG Muller last month, because of my aging eyes. Then I found a very green card edition on eBay that was a bargain, and I bought it because I heard so much about it and I wanted to see it and compare. Now I find out there is a color corrected version, hmmm. Fyreflye, did you orders yours from Europe, or was there a US seller that you found, if you don't mind my asking? Thank you.

Penthasilia

Glad to see someone has one. My only concern is that the two reviews on Amazon complain about the photos being blurry... What have you noticed regarding the photography?

I personally have an 1986 AGM version that I love- and doubt that the new one will replace it per se, but I was thinking about buying one for comparison, depending on how the photography displays the art.

Also- any info you could provide on the card stock would also be appreciated. :)

Zephyros

I just know it would bother my eyes.

fyreflye

Thank you for the information, Closrapexa.
I care. :) Now I am curious. I started out with the lavender box three magus edition, then I purchased a large card AG Muller last month, because of my aging eyes. Then I found a very green card edition on eBay that was a bargain, and I bought it because I heard so much about it and I wanted to see it and compare. Now I find out there is a color corrected version, hmmm. Fyreflye, did you orders yours from Europe, or was there a US seller that you found, if you don't mind my asking? Thank you.

I originally found the edition on Amazon.com offered by a seller in the U.S. The second one I got from
either Amazon.uk or Amazon.de; I've forgotten which. I got a third one from photokat, probably from her Amazon.com store rather than through AT.

fyreflye

Glad to see someone has one. My only concern is that the two reviews on Amazon complain about the photos being blurry... What have you noticed regarding the photography?

I personally have an 1986 AGM version that I love- and doubt that the new one will replace it per se, but I was thinking about buying one for comparison, depending on how the photography displays the art.

Also- any info you could provide on the card stock would also be appreciated. :)

There are several editions of the new color corrected version. If you're worried about one edition being blurry find a different one. Mine are just fine. As for the card stock, it seems no different than the English language editions from AGM that I already had. But hold on to your 1986 AGM Large Thoths. I've yet to find a color corrected version in any size but the standard.

fyreflye

I'd like to make two points about this.
(1. If you want to order the color corrected Thoth from a US dealer do not try to order it from Amazon.com.
Amazon continually mixes up reviews and card descriptions and is totally unreliable for a complicated issue like this. Order this one http://tinyurl.com/cgge56a from The Tarot Garden.

(2. Despite my recommendation I'd really urge you to get whichever edition from whatever source you personally prefer. It doesn't matter which version you use to read with as long as you're comfortable with the cards themselves. The "original" "laser" version is for collectors and completists, though it's nice to read with as well.

Aeon418

Fill/Kill?

Apologies for hijacking your thread, closrapexa. But the final news item on the link you posted is rather interesting.

Change not as much as the style of a letter?

Both USA and UK OTO's already have! :bugeyed: