My views on the early Rider decks and the article of Pietro Alligo.

Inconnu

Much fun! Thanks for the info & scans. This is a most interesting read.

truelighth

My Pam-D I won at eBay last year also came with a 1920 book. And interestingly, the red box in which the deck was housed has just the same dimensions of that of my Pam-A)

Kenji, were you the winner of the auction I mentioned earlier? Because als far als I know, there has only been one D on eBay with book and box.

kenji

Kenji, were you the winner of the auction I mentioned earlier? Because als far als I know, there has only been one D on eBay with book and box.

Hi truelighth,

I won the item last May, not in 2011, so it's not me who you mention.

Is it possible that mine is the one resold by the 2011 winner...??:confused:

kenji

I have checked the ebay link truelighth pasted and examined the details of the item, comparing with my Pam D deck. Well, it seems this is not the same as mine. As to mine, the box is not taped; the book doesn't have the name of the former owner; and besides, THE PAGE OF CUPS card has a slight tear.

truelighth

Hi truelighth,

I won the item last May, not in 2011, so it's not me who you mention.

Is it possible that mine is the one resold by the 2011 winner...??:confused:

In retrospect I think there maybe have been two Pam-D with box and book on auction. I asked Frank for pictures of the auction (I lost mine in a computer crash) and the information he send was different then the one I had on file.

I think this one is more familiar to you, Kenji :D:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14075652105...acat=0&_nkw=140756521055&_rdc=1#ht_754wt_1200

It says the Page of Cups has a tear, so that must have been the one you bought.
And I actually gave the additional information to this seller, so I don't know how I could have forgotten about it... LOL!

truelighth

Since we are talking in this thread about the early Rider Waite editions, it seems more appropiate to post this request here:

Hello everybody,

I have recently been very busy looking at the Early Rider Waite editions again and their history. It occured to me that it might be beneficial for the whole tarot community if we knew how many copies where out there, who owns them, so if nessesary, people can contribute to any research in this topic.

I am planning on putting a list together of all the early Rider Waites that are out there and their owners. I want to ask you to participate. I don't think a list should be published openly on the net. Maybe others have some thoughts on this. But in any case, those who will give me their information (which deck they have and possible e-mail to contact them), I will not disclose any information on anyone without asking. Also, you can let me know if you want to remain anonymous.

What I would like to know is: which early Rider Waite editions do you own. What box did they come in and did they come with the book "the key to the tarot". You can post in this thread or send a pm. Both is fine.

I just really hope to get some more insight on how many decks are out there, which version exist and to contribute to the research on the subject.

Thanks!

Laura Borealis

I thought this maybe helpful for the discussion.
Below I have cropped pictures I had of The Sun Pam ABC and made a comparison sheet of the things truelighth was talking about. I found it a bit hard to keep trying to look between photos of the cards to find what was being talked about - but I also scanned some other things I found interesting in the card.
I hope this furthers the discussion - I really appreciate the thread and the posts and the help - thankyou guys :)

There are some in the post below also

Thanks for these - they're definitely helpful. And thanks all who are engaging in this discussion. I'm finding it very interesting.

truelighth

BTW, what do you say to simplifying the grouping by sorting the 5 kinds into the two groups A and B? Like this:
Pam-A R&L = A-1, Pam-A = A-2, Pam-D = A-3 / Pam-B = B-1, Pam-C = B-2

It would be a good idea. But it may actually prove to become very confusing, since the terms Pam-A,B,C and D are already so well known to everyone.

My idea on the subject would be more to keep the current system of names and letters. To solve the matter on the two versions of Pam-A, which I consider different versions, my idea would be that maybe it would be best to refer to the Roses&Lilies deck as the Roses&Lilies Pam and to use the name Pam-A only for the crackled back Pam-A decks. Especially since those were the ones who originally had that name.

But that is just my idea on the subject. In any case, there are 5 kinds of Pam decks instead of 4 IMO.

rwcarter

What I would like to know is: which early Rider Waite editions do you own. What box did they come in and did they come with the book "the key to the tarot". You can post in this thread or send a pm. Both is fine.
I have two early editions.

My Pam B is in a red/burgundy two-part box. It's in pristine condition without any rips, tears or discolorations to the cards. It came with a Key to the Tarot that doesn't have a copyright date anywhere in it. Even the box is in really good condition considering it's 80+ years old. All of the corners of the top and bottom are tight. I really don't think this deck was used much.

My Pam D is in a greenish slipcase box which has been taped in places and is separating in others. It did not come with a KT and the KT from my Pam B doesn't fit in the box, although there is extra space for something with all the cards in there. The cards are noticeably of different sizes and some are also cut horribly off center. (The King Swords has no left border.) Some of the card fronts and backs are brown as if they sat out in the sun for far too long.

Feel free to PM me if you need any additional info. I've also posted a lot about the two decks here in the RWS forum.

Rodney

Elven

It would be a good idea. But it may actually prove to become very confusing, since the terms Pam-A,B,C and D are already so well known to everyone.

My idea on the subject would be more to keep the current system of names and letters. To solve the matter on the two versions of Pam-A, which I consider different versions, my idea would be that maybe it would be best to refer to the Roses&Lilies deck as the Roses&Lilies Pam and to use the name Pam-A only for the crackled back Pam-A decks. Especially since those were the ones who originally had that name.

But that is just my idea on the subject. In any case, there are 5 kinds of Pam decks instead of 4 IMO.

Just my 2cents worth :) -
First is the name of the artist PAM -
then the deck initial R&L,A,B,C,D etc-
then the type of back eg: CR=crackle,
then the box colour eg: BLUE, BURG, etc
and any date would be eg: d1919, d1944, nd= 'No Date' mark ...

so to represent a Pam A deck with a crackled back in a blue box printed in 1920
PAM A CR BLUE d1920
_______

Laura Borealis said:
Thanks for these - they're definitely helpful.
You are very welcome :)
_______