German OTO 'Thoth' deck

ravenest

It seems that 'self-help' is 'help-yourself' :laugh:

Richard

It seems that 'self-help' is 'help-yourself' :laugh:
Unfortunately that makes sense. :( It reinforces my opinion that some (perhaps many) "seekers" are screwed-up loners seeking escape from a hostile world. Maybe they need to join OTO and make some friends. [Desperate attempt to keep this on topic. })].

Zephyros

Unfortunately that makes sense. :( It reinforces my opinion that some (perhaps many) "seekers" are screwed-up loners seeking escape from a hostile world. Maybe they need to join OTO and make some friends. [Desperate attempt to keep this on topic. })].

Off-topic or not, that would make for the most phenomenally bad commercial in history. "Are you a screwed-up loner? Are you a sad, desperate kleptomaniac seeking escape from a hostile world? Join the OTO, meet people just like you and make friends! Benefits include material-gathering field trips to your local library, obscurantistic pretension, sex with goats and much, much more!"

gregory

Aren't they locked away at the Warburg Institute or something? So you'd probably have to be an academic and show credentials etc.

The Thoth paintings are part of the Yorke collection housed at the Warburg Institute of the University of London. To gain access you probably need to be an academic or have a reference from an academic.

Cross posted with above

It's a pity you can't just say you're initiated or enlightened or whatnot. Bring a note from your HGA saying it's cool.
I tried all that stuff. Nada.

But if there IS to be an EXHIBIT....

Laura Borealis

You brought a note from your HGA? ;)

Laura Borealis

It would work for me! Alas, I am not the Warburg Institute.

tarot heart

Hi,

Does anyone here own one of these German language decks remastered by the OTO? I have put a picture of the box front from the net. Is this deck really a big improvement over the current Agmuller edition?

I am shocked at how much the Agmuller Blue Swiss Medium deck is going for...ouch...

Thanks,

Freddie

Freddie,
Where did you hear that these are supposed to be a big improvement. I'd like to read that information...:)

Aeon418

Where did you hear that these are supposed to be a big improvement. I'd like to read that information...:)

Until Freddie replies I'll chip in.

For me an improvement would be a Thoth deck that has colours that are closer to the original paintings. According to Bill Breeze (Frater Superior OTO) the current decks are over-saturated.
Bill Breeze said:
This distorted rights situation has also kept the color-corrected new edition of the Thoth Tarot Deck off the market in English—U.S. Games insists on selling the absurd “three-Magician” version of the deck, with its over-saturated colors that are nothing like the original paintings.

But many people already complain about pale Thoth's because they are so used to over-saturated versions. Would they consider a colour corrected version an improvement? Probably not.

But hey! Years ago I thought I would never like reduced fat milk in my coffee. But I got used to it. And now I could never go back. :)

tarot heart

Ok then. So which are the over-saturated decks? And thanks for the help Aeon418!