Questions about Aleister Crowley that inrigue me

ravenest

The Bell analogy is mine ... the quote Aeon's.

Abrac

I don't agree that that's how it "was" back then. It may have been how it was for some people, but there were millions and millions of people who weren't addicted to cocaine or heroin, so that's not how it was for them. If a doctor prescribed him heroin, that doesn't remove responsibility from Crowley for the role he played in his own addiction. I think he used and advocated drug usage to bolster his bad-boy image and in the end the master became the slave, unfortunately.

Aeon418

If a doctor prescribed him heroin, that doesn't remove responsibility from Crowley for the role he played in his own addiction.

The 'popular image' of Crowley is that he was a life long heroin addict. But the fact is that he was first prescribed heroin by his doctor in 1919 at the age of 44. During the years that followed he recognized his addiction and tried to break it several times, but was always prevented by chronic asthma attacks. But by 1925 he had cured himself and broke his addiction. I'm unclear how he could have done that without taking responsibility for his own addiction. What do you think, Abrac?

Crowley remained free from heroin until 1940 when once again it was prescribed by his doctor for asthma. Again the 'popular image' is that Crowley was a raving junkie who was constantly 'shooting up' and getting stoned until his death in 1947. But in actual fact he had to register with the government and was sent controlled medicinal doses through the mail that where enough to treat his asthma symptoms.

Zephyros

What you say is interesting, but I'm curious how this fits in with the quote about "strange drugs" and especially what he says in the New Comment. Did he chalk up his detrimental addiction with his not "doing his will?" Was he "cancerous with the Original Sin?" Or was he writing from a theoretical standpoint, and not relating to himself? Seems strange things for a man in his position as a self-admitted addict to write.

Always Wondering

What you say is interesting, but I'm curious how this fits in with the quote about "strange drugs" and especially what he says in the New Comment. Did he chalk up his detrimental addiction with his not "doing his will?" Was he "cancerous with the Original Sin?" Or was he writing from a theoretical standpoint, and not relating to himself? Seems strange things for a man in his position as a self-admitted addict to write.

Some context for people who haven't read it.

The Book of the Law 2:22
I am the Snake that giveth Knowledge & Delight and bright glory, and stir the hearts of men with drunkenness. To worship me take wine and strange drugs whereof I will tell my prophet, & be drunk thereof! They shall not harm ye at all. It is a lie, this folly against self. The exposure of innocence is a lie. Be strong, o man! lust, enjoy all things of sense and rapture: fear not that any God shall deny thee for this.

Link to the commentary. http://hermetic.com/legis/new-comment/

In essence I think Crowley is talking about living without shame. But I may be projecting because this is what I get from the verse itself.

AW

Rosanne

This myth of Heroin for ASTHMA still persists?
In the 1940's the controlled use by law of heroin, was circumveted by the socially accepted excuse of medicinal use.
The actual use was to alleviate the opiate dependency of the addict.
Illegal procuring was halted by the war.
I acccept the use of heroin by Crowley, not the then socially acceptable excuse.
Heroin was known by 1940's to cause severe brochiospasm, except when taken as diamorphine in a cough syrup.There were more effective Asthma medications available at that time.Doctor Crawford was like Michael Jackson's doctor or stupid, given the known addictive properties of synthetic opium=Heroin. Up all night and unable to breathe sounds like Coccaine.

~Rosanne

ravenest

Its certainly an interesting passage .... and NOT one that stands alone considering religious and spiritual traditions around the world. I see the key as being; 'to worship' .

I like to 'paste' this on to my astrological tree;
I am the Snake (the 'force' that moves) that giveth Knowledge (Mercury) & Delight (Venus) and bright glory (Mars) , and stir the hearts of men (Sol) with drunkenness (physical/sensual expereince). To worship me take wine and strange drugs (varied experience) whereof I will tell my prophet,(be sensible about it) & be drunk thereof (be filled with that expereince) They shall not harm ye at all. It is a lie, this folly against self. The exposure of innocence is a lie. Be strong, o man! lust, enjoy all things of sense and rapture: fear not that any God shall deny thee for this. (affirms the joy of incarnation, expereince and that this is the purpose of incanation, to experience life in all its forms and expereinces - the white/red school and not the black school of denial that says life is suffering and base and came about by a fall).

There! That is my pestilential outpouring for the week and probably holds no validity nor meaning for any one but me. ... Just thought I would get that in first ;)

Aeon418

There were more effective Asthma medications available at that time.

Before 1940 Crowley was using a German made medication to treat his Asthma. The outbreak of war meant it was no longer available.

ravenest

This myth of Heroin for ASTHMA still persists?
In the 1940's the controlled use by law of heroin, was circumveted by the socially accepted excuse of medicinal use.
The actual use was to alleviate the opiate dependency of the addict.
Illegal procuring was halted by the war.
I acccept the use of heroin by Crowley, not the then socially acceptable excuse.
Heroin was known by 1940's to cause severe brochiospasm, except when taken as diamorphine in a cough syrup.There were more effective Asthma medications available at that time.Doctor Crawford was like Michael Jackson's doctor or stupid, given the known addictive properties of synthetic opium=Heroin. Up all night and unable to breathe sounds like Coccaine.

~Rosanne

Hmmm, personally I could never see how heroin would help asthma. Doesnt asthma require one to try to breath more and Heroin slow down the respiration? I had asthma when young ... the immediate need is to get more air and breaths in and out (lack of oxygen ... not hyperventilation) not to slow the breathing.

In my opinion there is an obvious dynamic and lesson here ... I think it is foolish to totally exuse or totally blame ... a bit of both ... but from all this we can totally learn.

WE dont always have to learn from our own mistakes ... we can save time and difficultiy and adverse impact on others and ourselves by, in some cases, learning from others mistakes.

If you think that passage in in the Book of the Law means you will be able to take addictive drugs and they will not harm you then you have Crowley's expereinces to read about and balance your opinion.