Why do some people not like the Original Rider Waite deck?

Zephyros

Sorry for the off-topic, but does anyone know if the PCS will ever be sold as a standalone? Even if price, bulk and delivery charges weren't issues, I want the deck but not everything that comes with it.

Aeric

What about eBay? Is anybody selling the deck alone there?

Le Fanu

In 2009 Lo Scarabeo published a standalone with the same images, http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/rider-waite-scarabeo/, but it is now out of print.
Same images? Now it's my turn to be pedantic :D (I know, I know, you weren't being...) The LoS images have very different colouring and lines. They're the same images in that they're RWS but they're miles apart from the U.S Games set deck (whatever it's called..)

Of course, compared to the Original - pulling myself back on topic - these all look so much clearer. Yet I like the murkiness and feint green-ness of the Original.

And as time passes, I like the LoS one more and more...The colouring is very delicate and special.

bogiesan

Sorry for the off-topic, but does anyone know if the PCS will ever be sold as a standalone? Even if price, bulk and delivery charges weren't issues, I want the deck but not everything that comes with it.

The question follows, why would someone keep all that other stuff and part with the deck?
Personally, I like all that other stuff. It's like sprinkles on buttercream frosting. I think the box/stuff will, in a few months, come to be regarded a nice addition to your collection.

Richard

Same images? Now it's my turn to be pedantic :D (I know, I know, you weren't being...) The LoS images have very different colouring and lines. They're the same images in that they're RWS but they're miles apart from the U.S Games set deck (whatever it's called..)......
I meant that presumably they are both based on the Pam A, for whatever that's worth.

Emily

My first deck was the so-called Original RWS with its limited colouring and heavy outlining and I had a kind of love/hate relationship with it, especially when I bought a standard RWS and hated the colouring, especially the yellow used. So I turned back to the RWS with its measle covered Star and tried to take to it. Unfortunately all it did was send me into a deck collecting spree whilst trying to find a RWS clone I liked enough to work with.

Now a few years down the line and I find I do have a certain appreciation of the Original, I always liked the backs. And I use it more now than I used to, especially since I found the RWS's I've been searching for in the Centennial RWS and the LoScarabeo PCS. I love the colouring of these two decks and for some reason having these two RWS's makes it easier to connect to the limited colouring of the Original, knowing that I also have two other versions that are perfect for me. :)