Deck in progress: Brass & Steam (steampunk)

SarahJoy

Heh, it's hard to argue with that logic! Honestly, the main reason I'm thinking border (aside from tradition) is the fact that my minor arcana, if fully illustrated, would be more like Future Solleone than RW--ie no multiples of the suits in the artwork--so I need to come up with an alternative way to make it clear which suit you're looking at. Long-term exposure to collectible card games gave me the idea of different colored borders (ie, red for wands, green for pentacles, blue for cups, etc). but I think for the major arcana at least, borderless is the way to go. Thanks for the feedback!

Personally, I would have consistent borders on the deck. If minors have borders, and majors don't, it makes the deck un-trimmable. I have a few decks I'd like to trim but can't, because of inconsistent border sizes. It drives me bonkers.

ematuskey

Hmm, I've never heard of "trimming" a deck--can you elaborate?

reall

Glad you like it, Reall! I'm pretty pleased with how Brooke ran with my concept myself. ;) And thanks for the DA follow!

Yes, there will be both a little white book and a full-size guide book, where I'll talk about, among other things, the inspiration for the major arcana and court cards (and probably the rest of the minor arcana if I end up getting all those illustrated).
like it!^^ :))) btw you shold make e book as well!^^ ;)))

ematuskey

Hot on the heels of the cardback art, here's the revised Magician, once again painted by Alex Boca! A much more intense card than the original one, heh.

Attachments

• MagicianNew_n.jpg
    MagicianNew_n.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 574

LupaGreenwolf

DUDE. Those are FANTASTIC. My partner runs GEAR Con, the steampunk convention down here in Portland, and so while I'm not a steampunk myself I've been pretty heavily immersed in it the past five years by proxy. And I have to say you really captured both the style AND the imagination of the genre. Every one of these cards tells a story, and I could just as easily see them gracing the cover of a steampunk novel as being a divination tool.

ematuskey

Glad you like them, Lupa! I've been very lucky with my artist choices--the two I keep coming back to both are great at taking my designs and running with them.

And if you think these look like book covers, wait until you see a couple of the Aces, which just got finished...I'll post them soon!

ematuskey

And here are the Aces! Each one represents a different geographic area as well as element--I originally thought of changing the suit names to match the part of the world, but am having second thoughts. Regardless, they work out to:

Swords: Old Country
Cups: The Orient
Wands: The New World
Pentacles: The Dark Continent

Enjoy!

Attachments

• AceOrientLowRes.jpg
    AceOrientLowRes.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 527
  • AcePentaclesLowRes.jpg
    AcePentaclesLowRes.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 520
  • AceSwordsLowRes.jpg
    AceSwordsLowRes.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 511
  • AceWandsLowRes.jpg
    AceWandsLowRes.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 517

Alta

I can hardly say how much I love this deck! That Ace of Wands is especially evocative and wonderfully portrayed.

ematuskey

Thank you both! My personal favorite is Cups (the submarine)--I seem to have a fondness for all the watery cards my artists have come out with, heh. But I agree, Wands is also really amazing!