thoth question

skytwig

firestorm said:
In case you ever want to get a book to study with that is strictly Thoth, I recommend "The Tarot Handbook" by Angeles Arrien.

I love this book :D

rubricat

anya said:
... I am having a hard time with the cards, like i said im new, there my first set of cards is there another set you can lead me to that might be a better learning tool? Or a good place to help get the meanings of each card?

Hi anya,

I can sympathize completely. Thoth was my first deck too, and found it overwhelming. I'm happy to see so many more books and now websites out there to help with the Thoth these days.

"The Crowley Tarot: Handbook to the Cards" (Akron, Hajo Banzhaf) has been very helpful for me. There's also a handy "Keywords for the Crowley Tarot" by Banzhaf that's a nice quick reference and coordinates well with the other book. Interpretations for each card (in both books) include different perspectives: general, consciousness, profession, relationship.

Good luck... :) The deck is tough, but well worth the effort.

f. silvestris

Robert Wang's book THE QABALISTIC TAROT puts images and commentary together for the Thoth, the Rider-Waite-Smith, the Golden Dawn [Wang's drawings from Regardie's description] and, I think, the Marseilles - sorry, don't have the book to hand, and I'm not up on the older decks. In any case, what is useful is that having 3 decks derived from Book T together gives a fuller range of meaning for all the cards - Waite tends to underplay, Crowley to overstate. Otherwise, though I don't care for the book much [sorry], Waite's Pictorial Key to the Tarot is easily got hold of, and lets you look at the Coleman-Smith designs for the minors, which can be very useful if you're stuck on the more abstract designs in the Thoth, though the interpretation of some cards is quite different. Finally, I can't recommend strongly enough LIBER LXXVIII [Book T, more or less] which you can find at www.hermetic.com/crowley/libers/lib78.html or in the Thelema section at the sacred texts site. Hope that's of some use, I love these cards but they cover an awful lot of ground and take some settling in with.

CapriMage

firestorm said:
In case you ever want to get a book to study with that is strictly Thoth, I recommend "The Tarot Handbook" by Angeles Arrien.

I would have to agree here. I purchased this book with my thoth deck. It's an excellent book with astrological correspondance explanations as well as a section devoted to exploring your personal tarot archetypes. A must buy. It's a green book; paperback.

Blessed Be.
W