Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Gallery Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Rider-Waite-Smith

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

beatles1318 
Resident

Question Best Rider-Waite Issue

Being such a popular deck, there are many different versions of the Rider-Waite deck. But what is the best issue? I already know for sure the current US games version sucks. What version(s) do you like the most? If you could write out the name or give a link, that'd be great. Thanks!
beatles1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #1
Le Fanu 
Citizen

this thread will get loooooong.....

But for anyone who - in the future - can't be bothered to read all pages, most people will probably say the US Games Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative set deck

(you wanted links; here )

I don't really go for that one. I have it and sort of like it but there are little things that irritate me about it.

I personally like the old copyright-free Blue Box Rider & Co set. Nasty backs but the lovely unlaminated fronts with colouring that is very like the proper antique Pam Bs, more than make up for it.

Link? I can't find a non-ebay link but I have included in the attachments below a photo I did of three Star cards from my decks; left to right, my gorgeously battered and stained blue box Rider & Co deck. Middle; a brand new, unused blue box Rider & Co one just to show the extent of the filth in the other one. Then last and very much least, the fakely stained Commemorative set deck. You see, no cards ever go that colour when they're old.

I also love the colours of the LoS 2009 edition of the Rider Waite Smith deck (see 2nd attachment). It has borders which nobody much likes but close up, it's very nicely coloured and sharply reproduced, comfortable size and has very nice rose & lilies backs. The edition put out for the U.S market can be seen in attachment 3.

Those are my favourites. I also like the Original Rider Waite Smith US Games deck as long as it is printed in Belgium but can't be bothered finding a link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2152345.JPG (177.7 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg loscarabeo.JPG (118.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg RWS1.JPG (200.2 KB, 79 views)
Le Fanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #2
Rhinemaiden 
Citizen

This topic is presently being discussed here on AT:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=33211

my personal favorite is a 1971 USG Swiss printing, plaid backs, with NO copyright on cards

Old 24-07-2013 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #3
Emily 
Citizen

As someone who will probably never get her hands on a vintage Rider Waite, I'm very happy with the Centennial RWS, I've learned how to ignore the copyright on the fronts, and I'm also very keen on the LoS PCS. Both are my favourites.

-----------------------------------
A good student never stops learning
Having fun with the Liber T
Not all who wander are lost
Emily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #4
LRichard 
Le Mat

Smith-Waite Centennial (PCS Commemorative)
LRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #5
beatles1318 
Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fanu View Post
this thread will get loooooong.....

But for anyone who - in the future - can't be bothered to read all pages, most people will probably say the US Games Pamela Colman Smith Commemorative set deck

I don't really go for that one. I have it and sort of like it but there are little things that irritate me about it.

I personally like the old copyright-free Blue Box Rider & Co set. Nasty backs but the lovely unlaminated fronts with colouring that is very like the proper antique Pam Bs, more than make up for it.

Link? I can't find a non-ebay link but I have included in the attachments below a photo I did of three Star cards from my decks; left to right, my gorgeously battered and stained blue box Rider & Co deck. Middle; a brand new, unused blue box Rider & Co one just to show the extent of the filth in the other one. Then last and very much least, the fakely stained Commemorative set deck. You see, no cards ever go that colour when they're old.

I also love the colours of the LoS 2009 edition of the Rider Waite Smith deck (see 2nd attachment). It has borders which nobody much likes but close up, it's very nicely coloured and sharply reproduced, comfortable size and has very nice rose & lilies backs. The edition put out for the U.S market can be seen in attachment 3.

Those are my favourites. I also like the Original Rider Waite Smith US Games deck as long as it is printed in Belgium but can't be bothered finding a link

Is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RELEASE-...item33827bb4f1
beatles1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #6
Aeric 
Skyborne

The Original Rider-Waite is currently the only version on the market which is historically accurate on both front and back.

The front is a facsimile of the Pam "C" third image printing, with murkier colours. The back features the blue-and-white Tudor Rose & Lilies back that was part of some of the earliest printings of the deck.

All other Waite decks on the market feature as backs either the crosshatched blue tarotee replaced by U.S. Games, or a new design by the person who recoloured the front, such as the Albano-Waite's gold sun, the Universal Waite's starry night, and the Smith-Waite Centennial's Rose and signatures.
Aeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #7
Debra 
sporadic magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fanu View Post

I don't really go for that one. I have it and sort of like it but there are little things that irritate me about it..... the fakely stained Commemorative set deck. You see, no cards ever go that colour when they're old.
Interestingly, truelighth, a member here, says the US Games Commemorative is quite true to the oldest-known original first-printing deck, called the Roses & Lillies Pam A. Stuart Kaplan of US Games has one and used it as the source for the Commemorative, and truelighth has one, and as far as I recall there are two others known to exist. Here's where she talks about it: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=197968

Last edited by Debra; 25-07-2013 at 05:00. Reason: link
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #8
Freddie 
Citizen

I like Albano-Waite the best.

Freddie

Paul Christian on 'The Lovers' (The Two Paths) Egpytian Tarot card.
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #9
Le Fanu 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatles1318 View Post
Is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RELEASE-...item33827bb4f1
I believe that's a pirated knock-off imitating the graphics of the Lo Scarabeo box.

And, Debra, I always believed that the Pamela Smith Commemorative set deck was a repro of a Pam A, but with overall darkening. Certainly the lines are very sharp and clear compared to other printings. Those comments by truelighth are very interesting.
Le Fanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013 Limited time only: Chat live with a Tarot reader now and get 50% off!     Top   #10
Go ad-free and support us too - upgrade to subscriber today