XI. Lust - Woman on a lion

Aeon418

We all have a 'helm' (steering and driving force) and a 'motive beast' within, we all also have a visionary and 'inituitive' process that could do with turn 'at the prow'.

Or put another way, the Solar-Martial, Ra-Hoor, Beast 666 expressed as 6x6x6=216. GBVRH, Geburah. (Also ARIH, Lion.) Individual Volition.

Tahuti the Moon god, Path of Gimel - the Moon. The sanctification and guidance of the Holy Guardian Angel.

There's a paragraph or two on this in Eshelman's M&M of A.'.A.'. book. It's slightly advanced and deals with the Adeptus Major's passage to Chesed, but it's still informative.
James A. Eshelman said:
Teth, opening from Geburah unto Chesed, represents the sanctification of one's strength and volition (Geburah) in the recollection that the Holy Guardian Angel is the One Strength and the One Will reflected in each manifest expression of strength and volition.

By it's intersection with the Path of Gimel, which is the Path of the Moon, Teth perfects the highest symbolism of the Rosy Cross. Qabalists call it "the intelligence of the Secret of all Spiritual Activities," and the Key to the highest Bhakti Yoga, which is the central work in Chesed to which Teth admits - a uniting of subject and object reflected onto Teth from that complete dissolution and conjugal union in Da'ath (which means "knowledge," including sexual knowledge"), Babalon is wholly united with Her Beloved on every plane.

Always Wondering

By it's intersection with the Path of Gimel, which is the Path of the Moon, Teth perfects the highest symbolism of the Rosy Cross. Qabalists call it "the intelligence of the Secret of all Spiritual Activities," and the Key to the highest Bhakti Yoga, which is the central work in Chesed to which Teth admits - a uniting of subject and object reflected onto Teth from that complete dissolution and conjugal union in Da'ath (which means "knowledge," including sexual knowledge"), Babalon is wholly united with Her Beloved on every plane.

I can't even imagine. It sounds divine. But I've wondered often when I ponder this card, is this where we make a "great miss" in regards to comprehension? It's got to be big. But from reading I gather subtle also... Well certainly personal.

And just because I will miss the mark, it doesn't stop me from aiming and shooting. So why 2:27 then? Am I pershing with the dogs of reason? :laugh:

AW

Nemia

I can't say anything about the Qabbalah aspect or any other text... but an image-based association or connection.

When I read Joseph Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces, I noticed the illustration that depicts "A cosmic Lion Goddess, holding the Sun". (You can see the book as PDF here, http://engl200x.community.uaf.edu/files/2012/04/The-Hero-with-a-Thousand-Faces.pdf and scroll on to page 181 to see the picture).

I have always asked myself whether Harris and Crowley knew this manuscript page from Pierpont Morgan - maybe somebody around here knows? Even the snake tail fits, and the lion paws...

I always like to gain insight by comparing and find the comparison with the Lion goddess very interesting. (How I wish I could find a color copy!)

While the manuscript illumination looks like an image of serene control, the Thoth card figure has a very different body position and facial expression of passion and abandonment. Yet, she is riding the lion. She seems to be in even stronger control than the goddess - she can allow herself to oscillate between total control and loss of control.

On the manuscript illumination, the goddess looks at the sun and the lion, and the lion looks forward. On the card, the woman concentrates on the vessel-like sun in her hand, and the lion looks back at her.

I have no interpretations, only observations I want to share.

ravenest

Hi Nemia and welcome to tarotforum. When I clicked on your link I got a pic of Thoth queen of cups?

Nemia

Sorry, the URL was all wrong :-( thank you for pointing it out!

ravenest

Sorry, the URL was all wrong :-( thank you for pointing it out!

:laugh: I wasn't JUST pointing it out ... I wanted you to post the right link - in any case I found it.

It is interesting ... who knows if it influenced the Thoth image ???

I am also thinking of ' Noon Resh' (adoration of the Sun at Noon - at its most intense) ; " 2. Also at Noon, let him greet the Sun, facing South, giving the sign of his grade. And let him say in a loud voice:
Hail unto Thee who art Ahathoor in Thy triumphing, even unto Thee who art Ahathoor in Thy beauty, who travellest over the heavens in thy bark at the Mid-course of the Sun."

The Sun is 'lifted up' and at its zenith in these examples.

And also of Shehkmet, the Egyptian Lioness Goddess (some have said Sekhmet is the correct godform in the above adoration ... but so intense it is substituted).

In the example you cited she does seem more an image of 'serene control' (perhaps this is what is intended to be invoked with 'Ahathoor' in Noon Resh ?).

The Cup the woman holds aloft in the Thoth 'Lust' version has, in a way, captured an essence of the Sun ... been 'worked' in a certain way and is now being released into the world (symbolised by the rays and serpents radiating out from it. - In a way it is similar to the Great Artesian Basin under Australia where the Ungud the 'prime' rainbow serpent creation spirit sleeps in the water and multiplies himself and the multiple rainbow serpents go out from the 'cup' / basin.

Also a similar image in the story of Sekhmet where she was given the giant bowl (cup / basin) of blood containing beer to calm her as she had gone mad with blood lust (Crowley says of the woman on the lion "more than a little drunk, more than a little mad.")

In my experience one image doesn't necessarily have to be drawn from or copied from another ... myths and mythical motifs can have similarity in cultures with no previous contact but the components of the myth may be shuffled, inverted or positioned in variation, possibly depending on various different cultural differences or even needs.

Differences (like the ones you noted; " On the manuscript illumination, the goddess looks at the sun and the lion, and the lion looks forward. On the card, the woman concentrates on the vessel-like sun in her hand, and the lion looks back at her.") IMO can be analysed to gain insight into these cultural variational adaptations to gain further insight into working the basic formular (and perhaps adapting it to ones specific needs? )

Dryope

Although I can understand your point of view when I look at the card, your explaination goes against everything I have read about it, the card is called lust instead of strenght because; "the path (on the qabalistic tree of life) corresponding to the card is not the Strength of Geburah but the influence from Chesed (mercy) upon Geburah", this quote comes from the book of Thoth.

The woman on the beast is Babalon, the scarlet woman, to my understanding she is a depiction of the great mother (Binah, which is connected to Geburah) and the 'lion' is a depiction of the father (Chochmah which is connected to Chesed) (mind that Chesed and Geburah are both on the physical plane, they seem to be physical reflections a Chochmah and Binah in a sense, although on the other hand they are te opposite).
"It represents the act of the original marriage as it occurs in nature", another quote from the book of Thoth.
So to me this card represents the power that lies within the wonder of creation, the energy that is channeled trough the active male power and which takes shape within the passive female force, so to speak, the bliss that connects these forces in the 'deeds of the flesh' bring forth great power.

Offcourse there is much more to say about this card, and maybe not all that I write is right, but for now this is my main impression.

When I read your post, a poem by Crowley that I recently read came to my mind:

"The world for a whore!
The sky for a harlot!
All life - at your door -
For a Woman of Scarlet!
A bitter exchange?
A bad bargain to strike! It
May seem to you strange-
The fact is - I like it!

You offer me gold,
Place, power, and pleasure
To have and to hold-
Inexhaustible treasure!
I'll give it and more
In this planet of boredom
For a girl that's a whore
And is proud of her whoredom."

This does not seem to be a poem written by someone who would depicture a man as a willess victim of lust, it seems more like it's a (sacred?) game is which men an woman engage willingly on the material plane to enjoy a feeling of bliss and at the same time give shape to energy.

EDIT: I was thinking about what I just wrote about passive female energy and male active energy and realized that on the material plane, the sefirot which are passive on the astral plane, are active, Geburah is a very active Sefira (Mars is the planet which is attributed to Geburah) and Chesed is of a more passive nature, I think, that could explain why the beast in the Lust card has sort of a submissive look to it in a way.

ravenest

HUH ?

Hi Dryope. you posted under my last with a 'you' so I assume that is me ? So I will try to clear some things up for you.

Although I can understand your point of view when I look at the card, your explaination goes against everything I have read about it,

Then I think you need to broaden your understanding and take the CONTEXT of what you have read and be able to apply it to other things and processes.

the card is called lust instead of strenght because; "the path (on the qabalistic tree of life) corresponding to the card is not the Strength of Geburah but the influence from Chesed (mercy) upon Geburah", this quote comes from the book of Thoth.

Yes ... I have that book and I have been reading and using it for ... ummm ... about 30 years. This is an interesting idea but is it valid? Your 'WHY' above doesn't explain why the influence of mercy upon strength would be called Lust. What you outline is talking about the Tree of Life paths and associations not why the card has the title it does. Crowley was very eclectic and incorporated many different themes and meanings into the cards ... not just one set; being Kabbalistic. His reason for the title is an EXTENSION of the above idea; “Lust implies not only strength, but the joy of strength exercised. It is vigour, and the rapture of vigour”.

The woman on the beast is Babalon, the scarlet woman, to my understanding she is a depiction of the great mother (Binah, which is connected to Geburah) and the 'lion' is a depiction of the father (Chochmah which is connected to Chesed)

Generally I would agree with that.

(mind that Chesed and Geburah are both on the physical plane,

That's a curious statement, how do you justify that. Some say the physical plane doesn't come into the Tree of Life at all , some think it is a manifestation out of Malkuth. Even if we see Malkuth as the physical plane, once we get to Yesod it is 'non-physical', let alone positions or spheres above Tiphareth ???

they seem to be physical reflections a Chochmah and Binah in a sense, although on the other hand they are te opposite).

Physical.... again ?

"It represents the act of the original marriage as it occurs in nature", another quote from the book of Thoth.
So to me this card represents the power that lies within the wonder of creation,

yes, I agree with this , ON ONE LEVEL this is what the card shows ... but the Thoth and Crowley are capable of working on many levels at the same time.

the energy that is channeled trough the active male power and which takes shape within the passive female force, so to speak, the bliss that connects these forces in the 'deeds of the flesh' bring forth great power.
Yes ... in a way ... however I am wary of the male/ female usage and how you describe it Look at the card ... does the female force look so 'passive' isn't she the one riding the beast, isn't she the one bringing forth the cup (kukuyon) into the world and releasing the snakes, The male must be passive and receiving to get the 'active male power' in the first place then he becomes active in passing on the POWER ... (sounds so biased doesn't it ... lets change it to ' spirit/seed' ... as in the seed of life * ) ... he becomes active in the passing to the female and she is passive and receiving ... but now it is with her ... the male is finished in this process, now the female becomes 'active' ... extremely active in developing the seed.

I see - one of the messages in the card - that the woman is on top of and riding the 'male' energy. Crowley certainly acknowledged the equality of the sexes and although he wrote some crappy stuff about it the actual magical structure of things he developed (like the O.T.O.) show no such distinction.

Offcourse there is much more to say about this card, and maybe not all that I write is right, but for now this is my main impression.

Over time and study it will grow. I suggest a broader approach to get subtle gnosis extracted from Crowley's system ... look for other ways he described the working of this energy and formular encapsulated in that card; The Book of the Law, The Gnostic Mass, the sexual western tantric teachings in the higher OTO degrees, etc.
When I read your post, a poem by Crowley that I recently read came to my mind:

"The world for a whore!
The sky for a harlot!
All life - at your door -
For a Woman of Scarlet!
A bitter exchange?
A bad bargain to strike! It
May seem to you strange-
The fact is - I like it!

You offer me gold,
Place, power, and pleasure
To have and to hold-
Inexhaustible treasure!
I'll give it and more
In this planet of boredom
For a girl that's a whore
And is proud of her whoredom."

This does not seem to be a poem written by someone who would depicture a man as a willess victim of lust,

No it doesn't ... so I wonder why you wrote that ???

Are you saying that (somehow :confused: ) you think that is what I was saying in my post; that the card "would depicture a man as a willess victim of lust" ??? Will less victim of lust ... me? ...thinking a major arcana in the Thoth deck is about that ????

I actually had to read through my last post again to see how you came up with that (IF that is what you mean ) and I cant, see how you came to those assumptions from what I wrote ???

it seems more like it's a (sacred?) game is which men an woman engage willingly on the material plane to enjoy a feeling of bliss and at the same time give shape to energy.

I would agree more if you didn't keep bringing it down to the physical plane.

Read up a bit on non-physical internal psychological dynamics and some Jung (or just google anima / animus) for a deeper understanding of what my post IS referring to, it certainly ISN'T suggesting that the Thoth Major Arcana Lust is about 'depicture a man as a willess victim of lust' !

EDIT: I was thinking about what I just wrote about passive female energy and male active energy and realized that on the material plane, the sefirot which are passive on the astral plane, are active, Geburah is a very active Sefira (Mars is the planet which is attributed to Geburah) and Chesed is of a more passive nature, I think, that could explain why the beast in the Lust card has sort of a submissive look to it in a way.

Submissive ... ??? You yourself quoted at the top of your post that it is Chesed that influences Geburah “…not the Strength of Geburah but the influence from Chesed (mercy) upon Geburah”

I don’t understand what a sephiroth on the material plane is or how the “beast” becomes reversed polarity on the physical plane … they are all on the ideal or metaphorical plane … the manifestation of these ideals on the physical plane do not take identical form so IMO there is no ‘ reversed polarity 7 headed material beast’. Also there is no ‘submission’ in this card ; “in her left hand she holds the reins, representing the passion which unites them.”

There are interesting threads elsewhere on the Strength card with interesting observations made … I like LRichards comment that no matter how strong one is one can’t FORCE the lions mouth open it has to willingly comply … some might see that as submission but there is no other hint of such a thing in the Thoth card … it is a uniting of energies to a common symbiotic goal.

* not the actual sperm but that spirit that passes into the sperm to enable it to combine with that spirit that passes into the ovum making a new and unique spirit ... in the indigenous tradition of my country a man goes to a waterhole and gets a form of 'spirit-seed-germ' from the waterhole , the man is passive and being 'fertilized', 'nature' is active - he then takes this back to his wife and passes it on to her, now he becomes active and giving and she becomes passive and receiving, next she becomes active and passes energy 'out' and 'into' the new being (which has become passive and receiving)

Look deep into your 2 of discs - sexual tantra is a cyclic energy ;)

Dryope

Hi Dryope. you posted under my last with a 'you' so I assume that is me ? So I will try to clear some things up for you.

Hi Ravenest, no I wasn't responding to your post but to the original/first post of the topic starter.

As I wrote in my post, I don't know if everything I wrote is right, it's (part of) my interpretation of the card at this time, I'm a bginner at Qabala, (most of my knowledge on the tree of life comes from Dion Fortune's book 'The mystical Qabala) so I do not pretend to know everything but I like to try to apply the things I have read about the tree of life to the Thoth tarot now, I think that that's part of a learning process, the comments of others (like you) on my philosophizing are part of that process as well so thank you for your comment, although I must emphasize that my response was not directed at you.

Zephyros

Also a similar image in the story of Sekhmet where she was given the giant bowl (cup / basin) of blood containing beer to calm her as she had gone mad with blood lust (Crowley says of the woman on the lion "more than a little drunk, more than a little mad.")

I hadn't thought of Sekhmet when I studied this card, and yet it makes perfect sense, and could even be analyzed Kabbalistically. Hathor and Sekchmet are the two sides of Binah as the bright fertile mother and the dark barren one (Hathor in a creative capacity and Sekhmet in a destructive one). Ultimately Sekhmet didn't stop killing because she had seen the error of her ways; the blood lust is still there, but transformed into a very different kind of lust, by reason of the beer. The Egyptians worshiped Sekhmet by having orgies.

Going further, there is the idea that Kabbalah itself means "to receive." The creator has a will to give, by virtue of creation, while study of Kabbalah is to learn to receive, each Sephira representing, on the way up, a further degree of what could be called "divine reception" (holy wi-fi!!). This card illustrates an important step in that process, K&C, and the ecstatic receiving power that infers. The Cup I think of as a kind of x-ray into what is happening inside, and what is inside the cup is the red of Geburah. It is doubtful whether she is merely receiving that impetus, or it is being created inside her by power of descent below the Abyss (also pictured). Probably a bit of both.

Seven heads, seven Sephiroth below the Abyss, seven letters in the name of Babalon, seven classical planets. It's probably possible to allocate each

"head of an Angel: the head of a Saint: the head of a Poet: the head of an Adulterous Woman: the head of a Man of Valour: the head of a Satyr: and the head of a Lion-Serpent"

to each Sephira, but I never did it, although I can make a few guesses. Anything below the Abyss is both inside the cup created by Binah, and made out the willing body of the Beast. Incidentally, the preponderance of the number seven makes me think of Rabbinical literature, in which keeping the Sabbath gives joy, bliss, ecstasy, etc. The Cup is full, perhaps sated, and when you do nothing when the creator does nothing on the seventh day, that comes close to the primordial Nothing everything began with, not to mention that Friday night is the recommended night for Orthodox Jews to engage in marital bliss.

Still, I don't know if I would say that here the "rules" of active and passive energy are shown straightforwardly, especially since this is a rather unique strand of the Tree in general. Chochma supplies the impetus, the force and so is the exemplary active force, while Binah is the infinite reception. A strand down, however, the roles seem to reverse (but not really). Chesed is the material, the substance of all that exists within the shell of Binah, and could almost be thought of as inert material waiting to be acted upon. It is the "passive" Geburah that limits Chesed's never-ending forthing out of substance, forcing the elements to interact, and so is rather aggressive, limiting the perfection of the purity of substance. Here it is the lion who seems rather docile while it is the woman who is in ecstasy.