Thoth Greenie or Green Box question

karen0205

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, I have searched the threads and don't find
anything that is helping me.

Question, are all the green box Thoths greenies? I see green box decks everywhere but
I don't know if they are greenies or if they are the grey bordered decks in the green box.

Thanks for any help! I'm looking for a greenie and don't want to buy a grey one.

Karen

Emily

The greenie Thoths came in a white box, although some were released in green boxes most were in white. They stopped printing greenie Thoths a long time back so the Thoths you find in green boxes now are just standard grey Thoths.

Green refers to the actual colour of the deck and not the box. A true greenie will have a wash of green over the colours of the artwork and even the font used for the keywords is green. Greenie Thoths are classed as vintage decks. Hope this helps.

Edited to add:
I'm not sure if all the white box Thoths were greenies - maybe one of the Thothies will be able to give you more info.

gregory

No, not all the white box ones were greenies. And fairly few green box ones are. As far as I know all the greenies that there are came in the white TUCK boxes, too, NOT the two part ones.

And also there are no brand new greenies unless you happen to come across a pretty old unopened one ! - and green boxes are still in the stores. They were the very FIRST in the green boxes, generally thought to be the very last of the ones that would otherwise have gone in white tuckboxes. Date is around 1983.

And all greenies are the large size. And have the red and black hexagram card.

You'll need to see a pic of the CARDS on ebay or wherever, to be sure. There is one up there listed as a greenie at this moment. It's not cheap. And one up there that is still pretty cheap (and looks to be in better condition...) and where the seller doesn't seem to know what he has... })

Zephyros

You'll need to see a pic of the CARDS on ebay or wherever, to be sure. There is one up there listed as a greenie at this moment. It's not cheap. And one up there that is still pretty cheap (and looks to be in better condition...) and where the seller doesn't seem to know what he has... })

Pretty ironic considering that when I was a young ATer I remember people trying to get rid of their greenies!

gregory

Yeah ! (Except me; I always wanted them !) But there are always plenty on ebay - people don't need to pay through the nose.

karen0205

Thank you for clarifying. I have a Greenie in a Green box. That's why I was confused if all green boxes are the Greenie or not. Now I know to check the cards. I see the green box
deck on ebay all the time and thought they were all Greenies, hahahaha

Thank you!

karen0205

Thanks Gregory, maybe you can answer another greenie question for me,
I have 2 different greenies, both in the white tuck boxes.
The card titles are different though. Can you tell me the difference?
The one in the orange box has the titles up next to the card number.
The other doesn't.
One is in a white tuck box with red ink, the other has orange.
They both have the same information on the box and in the lwb. 1983
appears in the lwb.

Attachments

• 2 green thoth.jpg
    2 green thoth.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,040

Dan S

The Tarot Garden website has a good comparison table of the Thoth editions available in the US:

http://www.tarotgarden.com/library/decks/thothtable.php

The greenie is referred to as white box C, and there is a description of variants. I haven't ever seen it before, but from the description yours looks like the four-language version.

"This edition is often referred to as the "green Thoth," due to the significant green tint to the card borders, and general "greenish" cast to the images. Later editions moved to a gray-ish border, and exhibit less of a "green shift" in the image reproduction.

A three-language edition and a four-language edition of the "C" variant were published. In the three-language edition, English titles appear at the center bottom, French titles in the upper left corner, and Spanish titles in the upper right corner. The four-language edition is the same as the three-language edition, except that German titles were added at the top of the left-hand border."

karen0205

Thanks Dan, I see it's the 4 language version. I am curious if
it's more rare or not. I'm not sure if I should trade it or keep it.
I don't really need 2 greenies but if it's rare, hahaha

Le Fanu

Pretty ironic considering that when I was a young ATer I remember people trying to get rid of their greenies!
I'm not trying to get rid of mine (I think I have three, varying degrees of green-ness), but they're not pretty. Really they're not. I don't quite get the cult of the greenie...