Elora Tarot

gregory

Here's a new collaborative one - I own it but haven't seen it yet.

http://eloratarot.com/

I sent someone to the exhibition - still running for a while, Ontarians ! - to collect mine and he reported back:

The tarot presentation was interesting. I'm glad I got there at just on 7, bought the deck instantly and delayed wine and nibblies till after looking at the deck in large (much bigger originals than the Yukon one) the devil and wheel of fortune were marvellous, the devil particularly, death and the chariot I also liked but it was even more diverse a collaborative deck than the Stranraer one, much more three dimensional art - a really nice 7 of pentacles that I can't see translating into a flat card and retaining its effect, while the ace of pentacles flat would just be boring though the original was beautifully crafted in white stone.

For such a deck the price ($45 CDN) is not half bad.

And I looked at the cards he mentions on the site and they seem to have got over the 3D thing....

ETA exhibition dates:

The exhibition is running in Elora until Nov 3. In addition, we will be going to the Gladstone Hotel in Toronto from Jan 6 to 13, 2014.

Shelley Carter will also be at Pagan Pride Day in Hamilton tomorrow - Sunday, September 15 from 9:00 to 5:00

BodhiSeed

Love the Ten of Wands card - "herding cats" - how perfect. :p

Tarotwolf

Looks interesting, put an order in. I like these type of art decks with different artists contributing. Thanks for the heads up.

mah jong

Broke my tarot buying diet and bought this deck yesterday. It reads like a dream. Even though it is designed by many different artists, it flows well. The website doesn't do the art justice as the full card images don't appear, shows only partial images. The chariot card, depicted as a starry night from the driver's perspective, is the stand out card for me. The same sex Lovers card makes it an inclusive deck that many people will appreciate. The Lovers card is an art photo and one of the models looks like she might be of Aboriginal heritage, which certainly is welcome in a Canadian deck. It is larger than the typical deck. The card stock is good so shuffling is fine even with the larger dimensions. The box it comes in has a velcro latch which you have to be careful of as the thin box could easily tear if you pull on the velcro too hard. It's pretty exciting that a tarot deck, produced by mostly small town artists can come together like this.

gregory

Were you in Hamilton, then ? Or Elora ?

Thanks for that - my messenger was particularly taken with the Chariot too. I can't wait to see my copy.

mah jong

I caught the exhibit in Elora at the Wellington County museum the day after it opened. The exhausted curator told me there were around 500 people for the opening which is a staggering number for a small town museum. If anyone is in a position to see the original art the cards are based on, do go. It is an opportunity to view 78 works of art, created in a variety of mediums.

The booklet that comes with the deck, offers a short explanation for each artist's inspiration and a brief artist bio which adds texture to the images. For example, the story behind the Strength card is moving and enhances the image for me. Also forgot to mention before that the cards have a white border, are labelled and have reversible backs.

Admittedly, a couple of the minor arcana images were off base for me, but I still am enamored by this deck.

gregory

Oh I am glad you went ! My SO went to the opening, as I had ordered him to :D and said it was excellent, though a lot of the people were there for the nibbles and disregarded all the signs about no food in the gallery :mad:

Er - are you local to Elora ? I am kind of (Mount Forest area) when I am living there. Sadly I was back in the UK before the opening - I had met two of the artists when walking around Elora with Alta in July. Sheer luck that I even heard about it - they were just leaning against a railing with their brochure...!

mah jong

Ah, the food was a draw. That makes sense. I was trying to image a crowd composed of local farmers, small town artists and "quad city" hipsters mingling in tight quarters, all to view tarot art. It all seemed too wonderful, and unlikely, to be true.

Getting back to the deck, there is also a little surprise that comes with it. I'll leave it at that. If someone wants an autographed deck, wrapped in satin, it might still be available for $125 Cdn. I was content with the $45 edition!

I'm not far from Elora but I'm unfamiliar with the area's arts and tarot community. When you are back in the area, feel free to drop me a line.

gregory

Shirley has a considerable following in the local Wiccan and Pagan community and is also on Facebook. I believe she also advertised during the Elora Festival.

Come to think I wonder why there was nothing in the Mount Forest store. I must alert them; I bet they could sell them....

They WILL be available in the Hermit's Lamp in Toronto. May already be.

gregory

Now I have it in my greedy little hands and it really is lovely. And as you can't see the cards properly on their website, here are some scans.

Attachments

• elora tarot 1.jpg
    elora tarot 1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 316
  • elora tarot 2.jpg
    elora tarot 2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 287