Victorine Le Normand Book from the Liberary of Congress

La Force

ETA: Corrected I thought this was Marie Ann, so I remove my personal thoughts. I have left the below intact.

I was very fortunate to get a copy of Victorine Le Normand Book from the Liberary of Congress.

I've had this for a long time, I completely forgot I had it.

This book has all her methods of reading cards

I will post up a some pictures from the book.

Copy the images, view in your photo program, zoom in to read.

If you want the whole book, I can send it to you a scanned copy. pm me you email addy.

I will a couple post to attach pictures

Attachments

• Fortune Telling by cards.jpg
    Fortune Telling by cards.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 173
  • Fortune Telling by cards 2.jpg
    Fortune Telling by cards 2.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 171
  • page 3.jpg
    page 3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 160
  • The Mystical Table.jpg
    The Mystical Table.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 172
  • The Oracle of Human destiny.jpg
    The Oracle of Human destiny.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 166

La Force

Post 2 Fortune telling by cards continued and The Italian Method

Here is Fortune telling by cards continued for the above method and here is the Italian Method

Attachments

• The Italian Method1.jpg
    The Italian Method1.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 162
  • The Italian Method2.jpg
    The Italian Method2.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Fortune Telling by cards 4.jpg
    Fortune Telling by cards 4.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Fortune Telling by cards 5.jpg
    Fortune Telling by cards 5.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 163
  • Fortune Telling by cards 6.jpg
    Fortune Telling by cards 6.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 147

La Force

post 3 The Italian method continued and The English Method

here is the italian method continued and the English Method

Attachments

• English Method1.jpg
    English Method1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 158
  • English Method2.jpg
    English Method2.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 148
  • The Italian Method3.jpg
    The Italian Method3.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 147

La Force

post 4 21 card Method

here is her 21 card method

Attachments

• 21 card method1.jpg
    21 card method1.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 147

Lee

Hi La Force,

"Victorine Le Normand" was apparently one of several pseudonyms for Robert Smith, who lived from 1795 to 1892 and wrote books on astrology and other occult matters, mostly using the name Raphael. See:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/raphael.html

The Mme. Lenormand whom our 36-card deck is named after is Marie Anne Adelaide Lenormand.

Your book does look like a fascinating compendium of 19th century playing-card methods, though, thanks for posting those pages!

La Force

Hi La Force,

"Victorine Le Normand" was apparently one of several pseudonyms for Robert Smith, who lived from 1795 to 1892 and wrote books on astrology and other occult matters, mostly using the name Raphael. See:

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/raphael.html

The Mme. Lenormand whom our 36-card deck is named after is Marie Anne Adelaide Lenormand.

Your book does look like a fascinating compendium of 19th century playing-card methods, though, thanks for posting those pages!

Thanks for correcting me, I will correct my main post. see sorry this what the stroke has done to me I have loss of memory, I forget many things, I can't believe I forgot Marie Anne Adelaide name, wow. that's bad. I apologize.

your welcome, I am glad that this thread will still be of some good use.

ETA: thanks for the link reading it now.

La Force

Lee

Don't worry, it's an easy mistake to make. :)

La Force

Don't worry, it's an easy mistake to make. :)

Thanks, I'm sitting here with tears running down my face, cause of loss of memory. saying to myself "I forgot her name, I forgot her name". what will I forget next. it's disheartening.

La Force

I read this in the link you posted Lee

In 1822 Smith and Graham collaborated on writing The Philosophical Merlin "the translation of a script formerly in the possession of Napoleon Bonaparte". It was dedicated to the "Famous and Renowned Mademoiselle Le Normand". Mlle Le Normand was a famous Parisian Tarot reader, but there is no record of her having any connection with Smith.

There may have been a link and maybe this book I have might be the connection, read page 3 that I have posted in main post. here I'll re attach it.

This to me raises some interest. maybe you could explain. The Fortune Telling by Cards spread is the French version. There are some other interesting spreads in the book as well. so where did he get these spreads and from whom? The to take the name Victorine Le Normand....?????? Now doesn't page 3 sound Like Marie Ann Lenormand. "The Emperor Napoleon" ??????

ETA: I have just attached the Title page take a look

what your take

Attachments

• page 3.jpg
    page 3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Title page.jpg
    Title page.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 151

Lee

I have several problems with the idea that Mlle. Lenormand was somehow connected with or involved in the book you have.

1) Smith got her name wrong, if he was referring to Mlle. Lenormand.

2) Smith got her marital status wrong (she was a Madamoiselle, not a Madame), if he was referring to Mlle. Lenormand.

3) The article on the Skyscript article (Skyscript is a very reputable site) says there's no record of any connection between Smith and Mlle. Lenormand.

4) In the page you posted, "Victorine" refers to Napoleon as her "patron," who consults her for advice. But from what I've read about Mlle. Lenormand, it was his wife, the Empress Josephine, who was Mlle. Lenormand's client, while Napoleon disapproved of her.

My own guess is that Smith tried to exploit Mlle. Lenormand's name by dedicating one book to her and using her name (with a different first name) as a pseudonym to write another.

Just because he wrote a book containing playing card methods doesn't mean that he had to have gotten them from Mlle. Lenormand. I'm sure there were other books he might have gotten them from, as well as people he knew who might have read cards.

However, I'm not a historian, so I could certainly be wrong. :)