Spell Spread for Witches

Flaming Chalice

3+ cards, left to right.

Use before casting a spell to see what forces are afoot, what angle/method you should use, and the ultimate outcome if you cast the way you plan to cast.

1. The Need. Why do you want to cast this spell? What is going on?

2. The Method. How should you cast the spell? (This is where it breaks down for me. If there's a problem with the spell or my intention, it shows up here in a method that doesn't make sense or is negative.) I only put one card here, but if you want more details, you can add more cards to this position. Maybe 4 cards to represent the 4 elements?

3. The Outcome. What will be the result of your spell? What happens as a result? Sometimes the outcome is positive even though the method card(s) seems messed up, which usually tells me that either the spell is superfluous, or that I need to approach it in a totally different way.

Cordis Foxx

I'm not a witch per se, but I'm curious as to how you would use this.
Are you pulling cards at random with the spell in mind (like a normal reading) and then channeling magic that way, or are you drawing the cards you have in mind and using them as implements?

Flaming Chalice

I'm not a witch per se, but I'm curious as to how you would use this.
Are you pulling cards at random with the spell in mind (like a normal reading) and then channeling magic that way, or are you drawing the cards you have in mind and using them as implements?

Such a great question. With this spread, I am doing some divinatory work before I even get started. It's a, hey, what do I need to know about the forces at work here before I start zapping? I do the spread like any normal one - I shuffle, cut, then lay out cards.

You can use cards as tools for focus in spellwork. I've done it a few times and have been pleased with the results. You could use all of the aces to represent the four classical elements, use a card to show what you want to manifest, use a card to show what you want to eliminate from your life, or use a card to represent the divine.

Cordis Foxx

I see, so it's more of a way to gauge the aftermath.

By representing the divine, you mean finding a card that symbolizes or represents the diety you are calling on, right?

Flaming Chalice

I see, so it's more of a way to gauge the aftermath.

By representing the divine, you mean finding a card that symbolizes or represents the diety you are calling on, right?

Yep! I used the Strength card to represent Inanna once, for example.

I think you could also use cards to represent the desired end results. For example, use the Empress in a spell to help someone get pregnant. I am sure there are tons more ideas, though I haven't used cards in that way.

Cordis Foxx

Thanks for the clarification! I might try it out one of these days!

Lanarkwitch

Great!

What a great idea for a spread, very helpful stuff as sometimes we have a lot of options as to how we can approach things so nice to narrow it down I suppose, well done xx