'Egyptian' roots of the Tarot

kwaw

While de Gebelin may have been wrong about the Egyptian origins of the Tarot, IMHO he eas reporting a tradition and not just 'inventing' as some have claimed.

'The Hieroglyphica of Horus Appollo', generally known as the 'Horappollon', was discovered on the Greek Island of Andros by a monk in 1419. Manuscript copies were in circulation among Florentine humanists by 1422. The two parts of the Horapollon contain interpretations of 189 hieroglyphics. The first part contains 70, all of which are authentic Egyptian hieroglyphics. The second part contains 119, about a third of which are authentic hieroglyphs, the rest being allegorical interpretation of animals similar to those that can be found in Aristotle and Pliny. It claims to be a Greek translation of an Egyptian book on the interpretation of Hieroglyphs, though the author/translator admits to including non-Egyptian hieroglyphs (eg, such as the animals noted above). It is dated 5th century, Alexandria.

The hieroglyphs are interpreted in an allegorical manner, as pictorial symbols of moral and metaphysical principles. This manner of Hieroglyphic reinterpretation was common in the late Hellenistic period among pagan Greek philosophers in Alexandria trying to decipher the mysterious Hieroglyphics and Ancient Egyptian relics to which the key to understanding had been lost. Fragments of similar texts, such as the Chairemon, had also survived and were known to the Renaissance humanists, but the Horapollon provided the only complete text.

The discovery of the Horapollon was a cause of great excitement among the circle of North Italian humanists. They saw in hieroglyphic representation a means of symbolic communication of divine truths that was more whole, total and immediate than the written or spoken word. Inspired by the Horapollon and using it as a model Francesco Colonnas wrote the 'Hypnoerotomachia Polophilii', which was circulating in manuscript form in 1467 and published in 1499. The Horapallon itself was published in 1505 and underwent over thirty editions during the 16th century. Among the later translators of the Horapollon was Nostradamus, who supplied Horus Apollo with fantastic pedigree, describing him as a King of Egypt and Son of Osiris. Most of the 'hieroglypics' of the Poliphilii were of greaco-roman origin rather than Egyptian.

One of the greatest, most voluminous and influential of the genre inspired by the Horapollon was the 'Hieroglyphica' of Giovanni Piero Valeriano. Though first published in 1556 manuscript copies are known to have been in circulation by 1529, and it is thought that he had completed the work some time prior to 1527. While modeled at its core by the Horapollon the Hieroglyphica does not constrain itself to real or imagined 'Egyptian' hieroglyphs but gives reign to signs and pictures from all areas of knowledge that are amiable to an allegorical form of exegesis. While Valerino maintains Egyptian heritage for his 'hieroglyphics' and the authority of the Horapollon and graeco-latin tradition for his method of exegesis, it is in fact a synthesis of genuine Egyptian hieroglyphs with symbols of Greek, Latin , Jewish, Kabbalistic and Astrological origin. There is therefore an assimilation of a variety of traditions assumed under the heading of 'Egyptian' Hieroglyphica. It is such an assimilation I believe that the roots of the tradition, such as which in my opinion de Gebelin reports and does not 'invent', that the Tarot is of Egyptian origin derives.

Another literary form inspired and modeled upon the Horapollon, and one from which I believe it is possible to draw parallels with the Tarot, is the Emblematic Tradition. The 'emblemata' were essentially 'mutus liber', picture books. A typical emblem book contains a picture with a poem explaining its allegorical meaning. Popular up until the 18th century, the first book that started the form was the 'Emlemata Liber' [The Book of Emblems] by Alciati, which was reprinted over 130 times between 1532 and 1790. It may or may not be relevant to tarot studies that he produced his emblems at the request of a Visconti:

quote:
Alciato's earliest mention of his emblem book is in a letter to Francesco Giulio Calvi, a bookseller, 9 January 1523.

"During this Saturnalia, at the behest of the illustrious Ambrogio Visconti, I composed a little book of epigrams, which I entitled emblems: in separate epigrams I describe something which, from history or from nature, signifies elegantly (libellum composui epigrammaton, cui tituli feci Emblemata: singulis enim epigrammatibus aliquid describo, quod ex historia, vel ex rebus naturalibus aliquid elegans significet) after which painters, goldsmiths, and metal-workers could fashion the kind of thing we call badges and which we fasten on hats, or use as trademarks, like the anchor of Aldus, the dove of Froben, and the elephant of Calvus, which is long pregnant, but produces nothing."
end quote from:

http://www.mun.ca/alciato/comm.html

Alciati's emblem book was directly inspired and modeled upon the hieroglyphic genre:

Quote:
"Alciato's words from his Commentary on the rubric 'On the meaning of things and words'. He says: 'Words signify; things are signified. But things too can sometimes signifiy, such as the hieroglyphs in Horus and Chaeremon. In this genre I too have composed a little book in verse whose title is Emblemata.'
End Quote.

Alciato's book, Emblemata, composed at the suggestion of a member of the Visconti family during, as he put it, 'Saturnalia', was the start of a form of literature [and divination] that was popular up until the eighteenth century. I think it interesting, in respect of some of the similarities to be found between emblematic and tarot images, that he clearly states here that they composed in the genre of Egytptian hieroglyphics. According to Mario Praz, emblems were generally regarded as contempory equivalents of the sacred signs of the Egyptians throughout this period. While de Gebelin may have been wrong about the Egyptian origin of the tarot, is it possible that the Tarot too, like Alciato's emblems, were composed in the genre of what then was understood by 'Egyptian' hieroglyphics? I think it possible that, given the parallels between tarot and the emblematic tradition, the tarot images too could also have been percieved as 'contempory equivalents of the sacred signs of the Egyptians'. [The above quote by Alciato is quoted in Claude Mignault of Dijon's "Theoretical Writings on the Emblem: a Critical Edition, with apparatus and notes" first published in 1573. Which might be of interest to anyone here curious of how symbols, images, emblems were percieved and interpreted at the time and how they were thought to have originated among the chaldeans, Egyptians and Hebrews. The full text, in Latin and English, can be found here:]

http://www.emblems.arts.gla.ac.uk/Mignault_syntagma.html

Of the similarities and parallels that can be drawn between the images of the tarot and emblemata traditions some examples. You might wish to explore the sites and links they provide and you will find many more examples. Here for example is an interesting picture of Fortune from an old book of English emblems which may be of interest:

http://emblem.libraries.psu.edu/withe174.htm

This figure looks very similar to me to that in the TdM 'World' card.

It is very lunar too. The Hebrew letter Tau is also attributed to luna in most of the pre-ari/gra versions of the SY that follow the Chaldean ordering of the planets. If there is a connection between this portayal of 'Fortuna ut Luna' and the TdM world card there is the problem of the four kerubic animals. I would suggest that in this context they could be interpreted as representing the 'four winds', as the figure is accompanied by the 'winds of change' or 'fortune' as represented by her windswept hair and billowing scarf?

Also interesting about this (17th cent) book of emblems is its connection with divination. The emblems are divided into four 'lotteries' [each with 56 lots], and one uses a method of casting a lot to pick an emblem/poem and divine a moral to be interpreted according to one's present circumstance. Each of the four lotteries is attributed to one of the four directions/winds, and these are symbolised by our winged faces in the lottery table at the back of the book.

As well as the connection with the 'World' of the Tdm and the emblematic 'fortuna', there is also I think a connection with the 'World' of the Minchiate and the emblematic 'fama', which you can check out on Uri Raz's site here:

http://www.tarot.org.il/Minchiate/Trumps.html

Then compare this with the image here:

http://emblem.libraries.psu.edu/withe146.htm

Note the figure on the world in the Minchiate is standing on a globe surrounded by four winged faces, very similar to those at the end of Withers book of emblems used as a lottery table to pick a lot to divine from, Here:

http://emblem.libraries.psu.edu/withee09.htm

The fact that in the minchiate the Globe is surrounded by four winged putti faces that have an [IMHO] unambiguous relationship to the winds/directions I believe gives some credence to the interpretation of the four kerubic animals in the TdM also being interpreted as winds/directions. However, the four holy creatures are a more complex symbol and one may draw possible other meanings as well, for example, that they may also symbolise the bounds of God's providence in which fortune is restrained, a common theme of the time.

Kwaw

Cerulean

A rather beautiful discussion of the Minchiate

http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards17.htm

I think I like Andy's Playing cards discussion of the Minchiate because it shows a tighter, more easily observable design scheme to hang my mental hat on.

I enjoyed the variety of your links and ideas. I did see different online references to emblem books and it is wonderful to follow European fascination with their view of Egyptian lore through the ages. Mention the Rosetta stone, and perhaps designs of Etteilla, Caligstro, and Paul Christian, and your links and ideas are a good integration of many possible influences that show integrated Egyptian designs.

Did you see Mark Filpas' summary of many of the Egyptian tarot designs? It also gives a wondeful sampling that is observable from the 1800s to the modern day.

http://www.spiritone.com/~filipas/Masquerade/Reviews/historye.html

I hope these fit in with some observations you made. I am guessing you are fascinated with the designs and
interested in various cross-cultural links in this tarot style of deck.

catboxer

Kwaw:

Welcome to Aeclectic. That was a fine, wide-ranging essay, and I hope you stick around to contribute more.

A few months ago I wrote a review of the Horapollon, but unlike you I didn't tackle the wider subject of emblematic language in general. My conclusions about the influence of this work on de Gebellin and the origins of the occult tarot was roughly the same as yours, although my view of that subject, and of the Horapollon as well, is a bit more jaundiced.

That thread is at http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15936&highlight=horapollo+hieroglyphics

kwaw

Re: A rather beautiful discussion of the Minchiate

Mari_Hoshizaki said:
http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards17.htm

I think I like Andy's Playing cards discussion of the Minchiate because it shows a tighter, more easily observable design scheme to hang my mental hat on.

I really like Andy's site too, an excellent overview of many different decks without too much bias.

I enjoyed the variety of your links and ideas.

Thanks. They developed slowly from an initial interest in the emblems, I came across the Hieroghlyphica by following cross references, and seemed to me to provide a context in which the tradition of an 'Egyptian' origin could have arisen.

I hope these fit in with some observations you made. I am guessing you are fascinated with the designs and
interested in various cross-cultural links in this tarot style of deck.

Thanks for the Filipas links. To be honest as beautiful as they are the 'Egyptian' decks leave me cold, I find them somewhat sterile and much prefer the admittedly far more crude and ugly woodcuts/stencils of the TdM decks. My interest developed from a study of the Emblemata and seeking to understand the context in which [pre-de Gebelin] images could in any way be construed as 'Egyptian'. I believe the 'hieroglyphica' and 'emblamatic' traditions make this understandable. I am also reacting I suppose to the 'demonisastion' of de Gebelin and other 'initiators of the occult tradition' who are frequently descibed as liars [or more sensitively perhaps, inventors]. For some reason the demonised have always grabbed my attention [and my defence] more than the sanctified, what this says about my character or taste I'm not sure;)

Kwaw

kwaw

catboxer said:
Kwaw:

Welcome to Aeclectic. That was a fine, wide-ranging essay, and I hope you stick around to contribute more.
end quote

Thanks for the welcome, I hope to contirbute more and learn from some of the great stuff here. Thanks for the link, it is a big archive and easy to miss stuff. The link didn't work [problems I think my end] but using the search with 'hieroglyhica' and 'catboxer' I found the thread and several others of relevant interest as well.

Kwaw

kwaw

Emblemata, cards and divination by lot [some links]

Also interesting about this (17th cent) book of emblems is its connection with divination. The emblems are divided into four 'lotteries' [each with 56 lots], and one uses a method of casting a lot to pick an emblem/poem and divine a moral to be interpreted according to one's present circumstance. Each of the four lotteries is attributed to one of the four directions/winds, and these are symbolised by our winged faces in the lottery table at the back of the book.

According to L. A. Mayer, on the subject of the Mamluk cards:

"In the top register of all court-cards as well as of some numerals, we find other inscriptions, warning, encouraging or exhorting. We would have to know something substantial about Saracenic card games in order to understand the real meaning of these phrases."

An interesting aspect of having sayings with the cards is in possible parallels with European emblemata. Also that such sayings could possibly be used to draw fortunes, translation of the aphorisms can be found in post here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=930706&postcount=38

A 16th century pack with fanciful suitmarks (Cupids, Goats, Harps and Millstones) made in 1544 by Christian Wechel of Paris, is filled with quotations in Latin from the works of Ovid, Seneca, Horace and Plautus, and there are also clearly parallels here to be drawn with Emblem books and their use a lottery devices. It is discussed on thread here:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=30834&page=1&pp=10

Another interesting deck, engraved in 1588 by Jost Amman, and printed in the pages of a book with inscriptions of sayings and moral principles in German and Latin, provides another possible link between cards and emblem books:

http://it.geocities.com/a_pollett/cards66.htm

Kwaw

kwaw

kwaw said:
It may or may not be relevant to tarot studies that he produced his emblems at the request of a Visconti:

quote:
Alciato's earliest mention of his emblem book is in a letter to Francesco Giulio Calvi, a bookseller, 9 January 1523.

"During this Saturnalia, at the behest of the illustrious Ambrogio Visconti, I composed a little book of epigrams, which I entitled emblems:
Kwaw

It is perhaps in reference to this relationship that the first emblem is upon the Visconti heraldic device of a serpent swallowing a child, which appears on the V-S painted cards:

Emblem 1: On the shield of the Duke of Milan
To the most illustrious Massimiliano, Duke of Milan
http://www.mun.ca/alciato/e001.html

Emblem 134 is on "The tomb of Giangaleazzo Visconti, first Duke of Milan"
The serpent bearer:

http://www.mun.ca/alciato/e134.html

Kwaw

Ross G Caldwell

Hi Kwaw,

kwaw said:
It is perhaps in reference to this relationship that the first emblem is upon the Visconti heraldic device of a serpent swallowing a child, which appears on the V-S painted cards:

Emblem 1: On the shield of the Duke of Milan
To the most illustrious Massimiliano, Duke of Milan
http://www.mun.ca/alciato/e001.html

Emblem 134 is on "The tomb of Giangaleazzo Visconti, first Duke of Milan"
The serpent bearer:

http://www.mun.ca/alciato/e134.html

Yes, that's the "biscione" - it's an ancient Visconti emblem, and its origins are disputed. It is still used as a symbol of Milan, and is on the Alfa Romeo brand of cars.

(google "biscione" in images you'll get a lot of information)

The Orléans branch of the Valois family (of French royalty) had it quartered in their arms by virtue of their descent from Valentina - daughter of Gian Galeazzo Visconti and Isabelle of France (sister of Charles V) - and Louis of Orléans, brother of Charles VI.

Rosanne

kwaw said:

Here for example is an interesting picture of Fortune from an old book of English emblems which may be of interest:

http://emblem.libraries.psu.edu/withe174.htm

This figure looks very similar to me to that in the TdM 'World' card.

It is very lunar too. The Hebrew letter Tau is also attributed to luna in most of the pre-ari/gra versions of the SY that follow the Chaldean ordering of the planets. If there is a connection between this portayal of 'Fortuna ut Luna' and the TdM world card there is the problem of the four kerubic animals. I would suggest that in this context they could be interpreted as representing the 'four winds', as the figure is accompanied by the 'winds of change' or 'fortune' as represented by her windswept hair and billowing scarf
Kwaw
This is indeed a very beautiful emblem and the winds of Change are very apparent. It seems to me that the more forward one searches toward the Reinassance- the more backward we go. It is like a Water Wheel on the Nile- picking up water from the ancient waters below and watering above in the feilds of the future. Would have loved to pass the time with Giovanni Piero Valeriano. Thanks for reviving this thread- I am such a hapless searcher o9f this forum. ~Rosanne

kwaw

As well as the billowing scarve perhaps relating to the 'winds of change', a billowing scarve was also used as a symbol of the heavens.

In reference to World/Luna; A lunar connection is most obvious with the Piedmontese 'world' figure, wearing as she does a crescent moon on her head; this doesn't mean I think that all 'world' type figures in all decks are also lunar. Different patterns, orderings and imagery suggest thier own associations and correspondences that may vary from deck to deck. That the 'World' in the CVI is possibly meant to represent 'Prudence' [based on the fact that she wears the same type of halo as the other three virtue cards], does not mean that the World was intended as being associated with Prudence in all other decks.
There is a possible TdM lunar association though with those TdM decks in which the bull is 'odd one out' in not having a halo; and taurus being 'odd one out' among the kerubic signs in being the only one in which a planet (the moon) is exalted.

Kwaw