Universal Fantasy ~ Two of Swords

Hemera

The woman is up in an old and beautifully decorated stone tower and she is blindfolded. She can´t see the amazing view and the beautiful archipelago. She can´t see the monster (dragon?) either and I first thought the monster was threatening and dangerous. Also the LWB seems to hint at this: “Stay alert and consider the adversary´s viewpoint in order to avoid a potentially difficult situation.”

But I have to say that the more I look at this card the more benevolent the dragon looks. He has closed his eyes like the woman and he seems to be sharing whatever the woman is feeling. The Dragon looks like her soul animal, guide and guardian. The woman´s scarf is the same color as the Dragons skin which also unites them and they are both facing the same way. They are in this together.

In the traditional RWS card the woman is often very stiff and seems to be very much in control of her emotions. Joan Bunning says in her book (Learning the Tarot) that she is fencing off any approach from the outside. Well, not so in this card. The woman is actually turning her head towards the dragon as if she´d be looking for support and help. Maybe the dragon is also ready to protect her from a fall from the tower since there seems to be a fall to the sea from the wooden bench where the woman is sitting.

The woman is holding two swords that look very different. The other one is more plain and the other one is..Hmm.. The other sword actually looks a bit suggestive and erotic.. Maybe she is trying to decide between two lovers? Whatever it is, there is a lot of feeling in this card. She does not keep the swords as a barrier in front of her. She has strong feelings and she is ready for a creative solution to move on from the stalemate she finds herself in at the moment.

Some traditional meanings for this card are blocked emotions, denying ones true feelings and stifling a natural response. Some other possible interpretations could be: choosing not to know something, avoiding looking at the facts, not being able to decide, staying on the fence. Most of them would work well also with this card except that she has emotions and feelings. She has not really blocked them but she seems to be confused about what to do with all her emotions, where to direct them and how to proceed.

Attachments

• 2 Swords.pdf
    317.5 KB · Views: 143