Wiccan Cards (LS) - Athame

Bernice

Hello FaeryGodmother,

O.K. Shall we have a go? Unless someone has a better idea, what if we start off with the cards that appear to have no divinatory meanings (in the LWB). Just do it with upright cards for now.

1) The Athame: The LWB associations are East and Air. Not everyone would agree with this, but each to his own.
...The athame is a very personal tool. As it's usually used to direct and accomplish your Will / Intention, it could by extension mean any of, or any combination of the below, depending on the queried subject:

Deliberate Intention(s): Focussed intent: Something being directed or manipulated by you (or the querent, or whatever /whoever this card depicts): Taking responsibilty for actions carried out - and any consequences: Something that is entirely in one persons hands: The author of something or some event: Initiating action or activity that will have results = casting a vote, burning your bridges, etc.

And anything else you can think of.

Like most oracles, I think the cards will speak better in combination.

Bee :)

FaeryGodmother

1- Athame

I associate communication with Air, so to me this is a card of communication. Like an Athame, communications have two sides/ edges and can be cutting and harmful or direct and useful. So this would be communication with consequence for me.

Also, for me, Air is South (where we get most of our weather changing winds from) so in terms of a "change in weather" this could be either literal or figurative. Winds of change. As a weather pattern it would be Winter, windy, cold. I agree that everyone will have their own associations with direction and that personal association is far more important then the LWB's association.

I agree with your descriptions/ meanings for the Athame itself. But I would add self intitiated endings; cutting ties; assertiveness, possibly aggression or threat (whether aimed at the sitter or initaited by).

You're right that these cards, like the Lenormand, work best in combination. On their own they can mean so much or so little. Theres certainly a lot of associations with them.

Anything else about the Athame?

Bernice

Faery: I agree that everyone will have their own associations with direction and that personal association is far more important then the LWB's association.
Especially with a craft-type deck. I too think the Directions of the immediate locality are really important. Some people have the Winds as Circle Guardians. Also, the four Major (craft) Seasons/Festivals will occur with the changes in the land/earth of a locality, they are not the 4 Astrological positions of the Earth to the Sun which can be precisely calculated. So Faerys' climate 'seasons' will not be like mine, here in England.

There isn't another knife in this deck, the 'working' knife. So I'm not sure if the Athame meaning(s) should include the hands-on crafting.... perhaps there's another card that will cover this aspect.

Athame:
Ah! You mention the 'aggression' factor Faery. I did think of this, then decided that maybe aggressiveness would be revealed via other cards (combination(s)).
...But I would add self intitiated endings; cutting ties; assertiveness, possibly aggression or threat (whether aimed at the sitter or initaited by).
My bolded type. Yes, agreed. 'Assertiveness' would be a very good word to add to the Athame meanings.

I've (belatedly) realized there may be differences of usage/opinon here with the 'tools'.
The Athame is used by some as Defense, and the Rod (wand) is the Will. In which case it would certainly be Aggressive, Protective and Defensive. Both in the material world and other realms/dimensions. And it wouldn't have the Intention meanings, they would/will apply to the Rod.

Well, that was a crappy start for deepening the card meanings !!

I think I'll have to make some decisions and settle on a basic usage for the tools in this deck before posting again... My apologies.

Bee