Crystal newbie!

gloria

I have found this crystal site truly amazing. So much information here.
Have ordered The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall and Michael Grienger's Crystal Power, Crystal Healing, as recommended in these threads.
I've had a rose quartz for a couple of years, given to me by a White Witch, and I find it beautiful.
The other day in a bookshop in town I came across this machine which issued small 'stones' for a pound a go. Well two came out, one looks like onyx...dark green with lighter green marbling. The other I don't recognise. It's shades of pale blue and grey. The onyx is in quite good shape but the other has holes which look a bit like woodworm holes. And yet the rose quartz I have is perfect and almost heart-shaped, but don't get me wrong, I feel pretty attached to these two newcomers for some reason.
This may sound a dumb question, but remember this is all new to me, where other than the net can I buy these 'stones'?
Gloria.

Moonbow

Hi Gloria

Sometimes you can find crystals in the metaphysical shops. We have a few shops near us that things like candles, tarot decks, crystals, incense, aromatherapy oils - that type of thing. You may need to look in your local yellow pages.

As far as selection goes I have been told to buy the ones that I am drawn to - much like tarot decks. I think its better to buy in a shop because you can have a feel of the stones and get a connection to them that way.

Hope this helps

Moonbow*

Bluemanticore

Gloria, another place I have come across some lovely stones is at art and craft stores. Also, keep your eyes open for gem and mineral shows.
One other thing, that dark green stone with the light green marbling sounds like a description of malachite to me. Just my two cents. :)

Blessed be,
BlueManticore

lunalafey

Gem and mineral shows- YES!.....incredible selections and great prices....specialty shops jack the price way up.
I have never known for onyx to be anything other than black {& glassy} though. The stone you describe sounds familiar to me, but I can't think of what it is....not malachite- I'm invisioning a much darker green and shiny, not 'flat' like malachite. I would not describe malachite as marbled, for technically it's banded.
the other stone sounds like sodalite.

gloria

Great! Moonbow, Blue and Luna..thanks for your views and ideas there.
Not onyx? Shall be picking up books I ordered tomorrow, so hopefully should find out what it is.
Luna..you say sodalite the other one. What about these woodworm-like holes in it? Would this be something to watch out for in future purchases, or does it not matter?
Anyway thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate it.
Gloria.

Bluemanticore

Gloria, regarding any worm-holes or nicks, IMO they can add to the character of the stone sometimes. I mean, a stone does not have to be perfectly smooth or solid to work well. I would suggest when shopping use your hands to decide if the stone is "good." Pick it up and feel it, run your fingers over it, see if it feels "right." Some holes or cracks may feel right being there, others may not. I happen to have a sodalite that has a couple wormholes that make the stone interesting. Mine is blue, like lapis lazuli, with white from the calcite, not grey. I'm not sure if you do have sodalite there, but really one can't say for sure without seeing it. Oh well. :)

Blessed be,
BlueManticore

gloria

Hi Bluemanticore...you know I was thinking the very same thing. I agree...there are things that have more appeal because of the fact they are not perfect.
I found a place on the net just to see a few pics of the different 'stones' and I have to say I doubt if what I have is sodalite. So maybe you're right.
Hopefully will find it in books tomorrow. Will let you know what these two are when I find out.
Gloria.

Moonbow

gloria

I was reading my book by Scott Cunningham and he mentions Holey Stones!. Apparently it doesn't matter what type of stone they are, and they have very important properties. So I looked on the internet and found this Holey Stones

Oh Yeah... Scroll down

I hope this is some use to you

Moonbow*

DeLani

The green one sounds like Malachite, or perhaps Serpentine/Serpentinite (?)
The other one is probably lace agate. I love Lace and Moss Agate!
Can you post pictures of them? Now I'm curious!

Pearl_Dragon

>>Gloria, another place I have come across some lovely stones is at art and craft stores. Also, keep your eyes open for gem and mineral shows.<<

The place where I find nice specimens is the gift shop at The Natural History Museum.

They carry any stone you can think of..And,at reasonable prices.

Pearl