TAROT de PARIS study group

FaerieStorm

I am new here at the forum, and I have found that there is very little on the Tarot de Paris (J. Phillip Thomas). I have found this deck to be the most beautiful, functional and communicative deck in my collection.

I would love to begin a complete study group for the Tarot de Paris. There is so much meaning behind the Parisian statuary and architecture that it seems only necessary to begin a more in-depth study group.

IDEAS TO DISCUSS:

1. Symbology behind the Parisian art and its history, which relates to the Tarot.

2. J. Phillip Thomas' personal interpretations of the cards (which are written very beautifully).

3. Connections and differences between Tarot de Paris and the more traditional decks (i.e. Rider-Waite, Crowley's Thoth, etc.).

Hopefully, some of you may find this worth while (I know I do!!).

Thanks.

contrascarpe

I so much want to like this deck but it hasn't grabbed me yet. Paris is by far my favorite city and I have spent countless hours exploring out of the way spots as well as feasting on the art and architecture of the city.

Maybe a study group and the exchanging of ideas will move this deck up the pecking order of my collection. Until then the Tarot of Prague will hold its place at the top of my list.

Dan

JPT

Study Group?

Let me know if I can be of any assistance!
*jpt

Darla

Wow, awesome! I just thought how great a study group of this deck would be for me, went to the general study group section and there is your thread! :)
Anyway, I would love to participate in a Tarot de Paris study group. I bought this deck several months ago but I'm ashamed to say that I don't know it all. I just didn't spend time with it yet although many cards impressed me. Time to change that! I'm in!

JPT

The Issue of the Tarot de Paris Reissue

Aloha,

The London based Packager/Producer has offered to replace up to 200 decks to any dissatisfied customers (in the USA/Canada) who previously purchased the first edition deck. They will be releasing a statement the first week of February to clarify the matter.

The 200 replacement decks will be shipped out with postage paid. I have agreed to assist in the receipt of all inquiries. All those interested should send a short statement of their complaint (after FEB. 10) and a mailing address to : webmaster@tarotdeparis.com

European residents will be able to make contact via an email address (based in London) in mid February.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(If I may ask?).... I would personally appreciate it if anyone would be so kind as to write a short review on Amazon.com that confirms the improved card stock and that the second edition will be of the same quality! Of course be as honest as you will in stating your opinion of the images and the book as a whole!

New Works
I am still upgrading the TDP web site with new keywords and explanations of the images. However, the work has been extended due to the addition of an adjoining Japanese site. Interestingly the greatest response has been in Japan where I am lecturing, preparing for a TV documentary, completing my next book "The Paris Lines" and offering courses in Tarot and metaphysics in general. The title/theme of the course is "Real World Tarot" which makes tough but realistic comparisons between the medievil mind's symbolism and the modern mind's symbolism. Its a kind of "slash and burn - be here now - use it or lose it - clean out the attic" approach to all metaphysics. Probably too dramatic for western tastes?

Thanks for your patience,
*jpt

Melissa`

I would be interested in this study group.. Hopefully a few others will join as well!

JPT:
Thank you for posting the email address. I will be sure to send an email after Feb 10th. Even if I don't receive one of the editions, I will most likely purchase a second deck. I would really love to be able to use the deck. The use of colors still puts me in a trance when looking at them. :)

Thanks again!

Blessings,
Amaya

SongDeva

I'm really astounded by the beauty of this deck. The use of color is so ethereal. I've never been to Paris, but it does make me think of the city during a time of day when you might be on the streets alone, just before dawn...when the color starts to come into little bits of the sky...when you are exploring your own take on things and the status of your path, which of course you might be able to do using this deck.

Lovely! The presentation of the deck is fabulous...lovely book, scarf, and during my first look through, I was struck by how useful it was to have the deck sorted by number rather than suit. This way is perfect for me, for an intro.

Any favorite cards people?

Song

contrascarpe

SongDeva -

I spent many mornings (but not quite as many as my brother has) either walking the streets of Paris or observing it from one of the many cafes. I guess what I remember most of that time of day is the stillness but I also remember the legends of street cleaners getting the city spotless for the coming day.

I agree, these cards are beautiful. I wish I had known you were interested in this deck as I had it with me at our last Circle meeting - guess I should have passed it around.

As for a favorite, I have none yet. I keep discovering statues and landmarks that I had forgotten about. Thankfully JPT lists every item in his book.

Dan

SongDeva

My favorites...or what stands out

Ok...

1. XI Presence What a fabulous lion.
2.. Alchemy for its sunset colors
3. XVII The Star : an original portrayal, perhaps closer to the meaning I understand for the star, or what she's supposed to be doing.

4. 1. Ace of Air..this arresting image from the box spoke to me for ages, long before I finally bought the deck.
5. Ace of matter
6. Two of Air
7. Six of matter : love the heart in the top statue.
8. six of air for the colors and the little camouflaged owl.

9. Eight of Fire. LOVE this card. First time I looked at the deck and now. Love it. Colors, Dragon, energy, you name it. I *like* it.

10. Colors in Eight of Air.

11. Nine of water: colors, peace

12. Ten of matter was one of my faves at first. Now, I like it but am more neutral.

13. Actually, I like all the tens.

14. The stallions. Must be that tantric dakini oracle I've been reading with lately. LOL

15. I kind of like the king of fire. I don't think I normally would, but I do. He's...jaunty. hehehehe

Ok, now, Contrascarpe, do a reading for me with these cards!
You can totally make it up...or you can not do it at all. LOL

contrascarpe

SongDeva -

So, you're going to make me get in tune with this deck, eh? No problem, I am starting to appreciate the beauty of it more every day. Plus I have this sudden urge to sit in the gardens at the rear of the Rodin Museum and read there (if only I could).

Would you like a reading here, or wait until Saturday at the Circle gathering?

Dan