The Mary-el Tarot

noby

I like your thoughts about how the brain processes archetypes. I agree that the tarot seems to circumvent some of the ways the left brain usually hijacks things.

As for Crowley's blurring the boundaries between seeing archetype as archetype and seeing archetype as person, I mention some of this in the last section of this post in this thread.

And don't get me wrong--I don't think Crowley was wholly driven by these kinds of beliefs and perspectives. I think even the people who live the most consciously of all still have a few karmic shadows which come up and obscure their vision every now and then. I know of many wonderful teachers from various traditions who clearly had seen the truth and taught it well, but who also fell victim to various personal weaknesses.

I don't think any of us can get beyond the fact that the pure consciousness we may experience in mystical states still has to be filtered through this transient world, with all its obscurations. It's just the state of affairs for human beings, IMO. I have deep respect for Crowley, and my criticism of what I see as some weak spots in his thinking is in no way meant to discount him as someone who "saw the light."

And I haven't seen any of Harris's other art pieces, but simply judging from the Thoth tarot at all, I think she really had a daring vision. She brought a lot to the deck that Crowley alone could not have brought to it.

FearfulSymmetry

noby said:
I agree that the tarot seems to circumvent some of the ways the left brain usually hijacks things.

Ok, in that one sentence you described what takes me hours to say...I guess that is why I am a painter and not a writer LOL

I have seen some of Harris' other stuff and it is really good.

http://www.occultartgallery.com/occultartgallery/harris/harris1.html
http://www.occultartgallery.com/occultartgallery/harris/harris2.html

I get the impression that she didn't care about fame and fortune and that she would rather be anonymous.

Marie

Cerulean

Thanks for the links...beautiful work. I like the persistance

of vision...(I've heard the phrase before in an art title and a nice short story that I like...)

Regards

Cerulean

noby

FearfulSymmetry said:
Ok, in that one sentence you described what takes me hours to say...I guess that is why I am a painter and not a writer LOL

Well, your writing skills are much better than my painting skills! :D

I really like these pieces. She seems like a fascinating person, judging from her art and the excerpts of her letters to Crowley which I've read. It's fascinating that two of the most influential tarot decks of the past century were made by a male/female theorist/artist duo. I wonder if it was harder for the women involved in occult societies and groups than the men, given how many more restrictions there were on them culturally than men?