Paulina vs Joie de Vivre

citywitch

Hi, all - new here and looking for some advice and opinions. I have a very small collection of decks and am very choosy about adding to it. That said, I've been looking at the Joie de Vivre and the Paulina. I really (really) can't justify buying both right now. So, what do you all think? Do you have them? One or the other? Love it, hate it, completely apathetic? Please, tell all.

Grizabella

I've had both. Right now I just have the Joie de Vivre, but it's the one I really liked the best of those two. It's just such a pretty, funny, imaginative and colorful deck that I get happy just looking through the cards. But it can be read very easily, too.

In fact, this is one of the few decks I'd read for children with without worrying about it. I'm putting it into my Halloween deck selection this year.

Serenia

Hi there, welcome to AT! :)

I'm probably in the minority, but I prefer the Paulina. The Joie de Vivre is less cluttered, yes, but it also has some characters in it that look kind of creepy to me. So I'd recommend that you look at the cards from both decks and then see whether you prefer the atmospheric density of the Paulina or the unique characters in the Joie de Vivre.

The threads Glass Owl posted helped me a lot in making my decision last year. I'm still happy with the choice I made, even though the Paulina can be "too much" for me at times.

You can see all the cards on the artist's website: Paulina Tarot and Joie de Vivre Tarot.

Owl Song

I also prefer the Paulina. It doesn't feel cluttered to me -- just detailed. Yes, some of the details are small but you can see most of what you need at a glance and then delve deeper with some magnification if you want to later on. I find it reads really well and is both whimsical and deep. I love all of the flowers and bees and butterflies.

The Joie de Vivre feels more like a niche deck, for me anyway, something I wouldn't pull out to read with as often.

Le Fanu

Paulina. I think I've said why in the other threads...

rylla

Paulina. It has more substance. Joye de Vivre seems more frivolous.