Daily Card -- V -- Hierophant

Phoenyx*

First of all, maybe I'm just stupid, but I never really understod what the heck a hierophant was. So, by dictionary.com's definition:

Hierophant: 1. An ancient Greek priest who interpreted sacred mysteries, especially the priest of the Eleusinian mysteries.
2. An interpreter of sacred mysteries or arcane knowledge.
3. One who explains or makes a commentary.

The Eleusinian mysteries were secret rites in honor of Ceres (the Roman name of Demeter), the goddess of earth and harvest. Ceres was/is also a city in Greece, where they had these rites.

The astrological sign associated with this card is obviously Taurus, which coincides well with the strong Earth association. Also, if you notice, in the Hierophant's right hand is a black wand with three interlocking circles, that form a type of triquetra.

Emily

Hi Triquetra,

I've just been looking at this card and I've just noticed the snake above the Hierophants head and the dove - I've not seen them before. And the elephants - I can see I'm going to have to hit the books cause now I'm wondering what they mean lol - Ahh just found out the woman figure is Venus :)

Phoenyx*

I never noticed the dove and snake, wow.

lionette

Hi Triquetra and Emily,

I think of the Hierophant as also a sage and teacher; humanistic (especially from the pentagram on chest w/child).

Dove and Snake = in Book of Thoth, Crowley says these symbolize Love. I've always thought of the snake as a symbol of Life, tho. But maybe the point is Life = Love and Love = Life.

His eyes, tho, have always bothered me. Are his eyes closed, or does he have the blank stare of a sculpture, or the empty ones like the mask in upper right? Don't see anything in the book about this. Or is he using his other senses, his higher faculties in his wisdom? Any ideas?

lionette

thanks for the link...

But I'm still stumped about the closed or blank eyes. I can only trust one who I can look have eye contact with or am I just being pesky?? ;)

jog1118

i've read somewhere (not sure if its here in AT) that Lady Frieda Harris was not that good at painting faces thus the thoth cards' lack of facial expression...

:smoker:

Emily

Hi Lionette,

I think his eyes are shut. Either that or Lady Frieda forgot to give him some pupils lol. It could be pointing towards his role as the 'inner teacher/guide' or looking into yourself. Some meditation is usually done with eyes shut and this card is supposed to be a teacher card, especially in the Thoth.

I'm probably right off track here, still trying to get to grips with my Thoth but I do feel better about this Hierophant because he doesn't look religious just spiritual.

Kosmos

agreed...

Usually when I come accross the imagery of closed eyes in anything mystical it has to do with the act of looking within rather than without for goodness and divinity, certainly wisdom the heirophant would have...
However, in reading individual card interpretations I have also seen the heirophant to often refer not to true spiritual insight and practice, but to rote dogma, and the blind following of organized religious authority. Is this interpretation valid in the thoth deck to anyone's knowledge? I ask because it seems to me that such an interpretation could change a reading significantly.