Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Toad imagery in the Tower card + desires

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Tarot Study Groups > Individual Deck Studies > Tarot of the Old Path


 
Reverie's Avatar
Reverie  Reverie is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 12 Oct 2004
Location: The Carousel
Posts: 6,774
Reverie 
Citizen

Reverie's Avatar
Toad imagery in the Tower card + desires


Hi folks,

I am referring to the toad in the Tarot of the Old Path version of the Tower.

Intriguingly, as I was picking the "desires" position card, "toad" came to my mind, and I pulled none other than the Tower card with a big toad in the corner of the image, and people flying out of a building on the shape of a man.

Can't help but wonder what the toad is intended to represent? I'm not too familiar with symbolism in general, but toads I guess are considered an icky creature, it stays in swamps, carries warts (myth), and all around disgusts people.

Taking into account the general meanings of the tower as desires - it could be physical release (sex), complete destruction of conditions until now, an unpredicted event, etc.

How does the toad add a twist to the normal interpretation of the tower? And then what about if you take into account the question asked, regarding someone's desires?

Also should mention there are steps leading up to the tower which is actually quite whole, there are just people falling out of it, and like a chimney there is fire, there is also lightning.

I don't know where the force of the destruction is coming from since, as mentioned, the tower is quite whole in the image.

http://www.eli-lsmerchantile.com/blo...71960317264223

Thank you
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Amanda's Avatar
Amanda  Amanda is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 05 Nov 2009
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 17,901
Amanda 
Citizen

Amanda's Avatar

Well, I was thinking of reptiles in general, and how snakes shed their skin for instance. I thought it was interesting though that your Tower looks like a face... so I looked around for some toad meanings, and if you dream of one, it may indicate, "...you are trying to hide your true Self. You need to let the beauty from within shine through." I thought that seemed fitting for your image there...

Just a thought!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
nisaba's Avatar
nisaba  nisaba is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 02 Jan 2009
Location: Proudly Australian
Posts: 61,796
nisaba 
Citizen

nisaba's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecutie View Post
Intriguingly, as I was picking the "desires" position card, "toad" came to my mind, and I pulled none other than the Tower card with a big toad in the corner of the image, and people flying out of a building on the shape of a man.

Can't help but wonder what the toad is intended to represent? I'm not too familiar with symbolism in general, but toads I guess are considered an icky creature, it stays in swamps, carries warts (myth), and all around disgusts people.
Toads are amphibians, not quite creatures of earth and not quite creatures of water. As such, they are keepers of gateways and the between-places. In this role, they are often to be found as witches' "familiar spirits" (any spirit, really, that the witch knows from a previous life, whether they have reincarnated as toad or as other animal or as human).

In sanitised fairy tales, toads are often juxtaposed on princesses: the princess may have to carry the toad close to her heart for a length of time, or even kiss it. In tehse stories, the theme is duality: the "princess" represents romantic aspirations of love, and the "toad" represents the physical realities of sex, with its moisture, its smells, its discomfort, and its risk of pregnancy and disease.

As "desires", the toad therefore represents very physical urges, without a trace of actual romance or idealism around them, just the biological imperative all by itself.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
ana luisa's Avatar
ana luisa  ana luisa is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 29 Apr 2006
Location: Rio de Janeiro BRASIL
Posts: 8,280
ana luisa 
Citizen

ana luisa's Avatar

Quote:
As "desires", the toad therefore represents very physical urges, without a trace of actual romance or idealism around them, just the biological imperative all by itself.
This seems to apply really well to the Dark Lord image in the Wizards Tarot. See attachment
Attached Images
 
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
Pam O's Avatar
Pam O  Pam O is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 27 Jul 2008
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 2,588
Pam O 
Citizen

Pam O's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecutie View Post
I am referring to the toad in the Tarot of the Old Path version of the Tower.

Intriguingly, as I was picking the "desires" position card, "toad" came to my mind, ...
Very cool that you had a toad come to mind, then saw it there in your card pull. What intuition!
That is a fascinating Tower card!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecutie View Post
...but toads I guess are considered an icky creature, it stays in swamps, carries warts (myth), and all around disgusts people.
Not "all people" are "digested" by toads.
We have both frogs and toads around here. The toads are so big, and seemingly clumsy and slow, compared to the sleek frogs. The toads actually fascinate me that they are not just all eaten because they are so slow. Well, the ones around here are slow... (The toads in our area are fist sized.)

PS It gets really hot here in the summer. Toads are night creatures. During the day they dig holes in my flower pots to "hide" from the sun, heat, etc.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
Farzon's Avatar
Farzon  Farzon is offline
Lunatic
 
Join Date: 10 Jul 2014
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,706
Farzon 
Lunatic

Farzon's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecutie View Post
Hi folks,

I am referring to the toad in the Tarot of the Old Path version of the Tower.

Intriguingly, as I was picking the "desires" position card, "toad" came to my mind, and I pulled none other than the Tower card with a big toad in the corner of the image, and people flying out of a building on the shape of a man.

Can't help but wonder what the toad is intended to represent? I'm not too familiar with symbolism in general, but toads I guess are considered an icky creature, it stays in swamps, carries warts (myth), and all around disgusts people.

Taking into account the general meanings of the tower as desires - it could be physical release (sex), complete destruction of conditions until now, an unpredicted event, etc.

How does the toad add a twist to the normal interpretation of the tower? And then what about if you take into account the question asked, regarding someone's desires?

Also should mention there are steps leading up to the tower which is actually quite whole, there are just people falling out of it, and like a chimney there is fire, there is also lightning.

I don't know where the force of the destruction is coming from since, as mentioned, the tower is quite whole in the image.

http://www.eli-lsmerchantile.com/blo...71960317264223

Thank you
When I look at this tower, I think of the fall of man first. Humanity, culture, rationality, all these things brought to an end by animalistic instincts.

Also, the Toad here could represent that former state of mankind if you consider the theories of the origin from the sea.

In a position about desires it might thus advise you to listen to your instincts, as high thoughts may lead you nowhere sometimes.

Just my usual ramblings... it's definitely a fascinating card!
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6
Reverie's Avatar
Reverie  Reverie is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 12 Oct 2004
Location: The Carousel
Posts: 6,774
Reverie 
Citizen

Reverie's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_04 View Post
Well, I was thinking of reptiles in general, and how snakes shed their skin for instance. I thought it was interesting though that your Tower looks like a face... so I looked around for some toad meanings, and if you dream of one, it may indicate, "...you are trying to hide your true Self. You need to let the beauty from within shine through." I thought that seemed fitting for your image there...

Just a thought!
That's a lovely phrase, and it's true for many people. Thank you for doing a little research about this I suppose in desires it can also indicated someone wanting to hide something about themselves.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #7
Reverie's Avatar
Reverie  Reverie is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 12 Oct 2004
Location: The Carousel
Posts: 6,774
Reverie 
Citizen

Reverie's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisaba View Post
In sanitised fairy tales, toads are often juxtaposed on princesses: the princess may have to carry the toad close to her heart for a length of time, or even kiss it. In tehse stories, the theme is duality: the "princess" represents romantic aspirations of love, and the "toad" represents the physical realities of sex, with its moisture, its smells, its discomfort, and its risk of pregnancy and disease.

As "desires", the toad therefore represents very physical urges, without a trace of actual romance or idealism around them, just the biological imperative all by itself.
Very very interesting.
The clarifier was the queen of swords, so I think this reinforces more the destructive aspect. I will keep in mind that base desire as a meaning for this tower though. I still think it's so funny they chose to depict a toad. Given the common disgust associated with toads, purely physical urges make sense in this context.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #8
Reverie's Avatar
Reverie  Reverie is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 12 Oct 2004
Location: The Carousel
Posts: 6,774
Reverie 
Citizen

Reverie's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana luisa View Post
This seems to apply really well to the Dark Lord image in the Wizards Tarot. See attachment
Wow, very interesting!
Not one but two toads, a couple! It makes me think of a master and slave duality. The toads look quite powerless.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #9
Reverie's Avatar
Reverie  Reverie is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 12 Oct 2004
Location: The Carousel
Posts: 6,774
Reverie 
Citizen

Reverie's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam O View Post
Very cool that you had a toad come to mind, then saw it there in your card pull. What intuition!
That is a fascinating Tower card!
Thank you !
I have been practicing this lately - trying to guess the card that comes up through words, colors, symbols. It's accurate more often than not, and it gives a richer flavor to my readings.

Quote:
Not "all people" are "digested" by toads.
We have both frogs and toads around here. The toads are so big, and seemingly clumsy and slow, compared to the sleek frogs. The toads actually fascinate me that they are not just all eaten because they are so slow. Well, the ones around here are slow... (The toads in our area are fist sized.)
Wow. I saw a toad once in my life when I was in Thailand and we were on a boat, someone threw one on my friend !!! I was so repulsed. Poor toads, when you think about it, they can be easily used and taken advantage of. I guess tower as a desire with a toad in the middle is probably not too honorable.

Quote:
PS It gets really hot here in the summer. Toads are night creatures. During the day they dig holes in my flower pots to "hide" from the sun, heat, etc.
LOL. I think that's really cute.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #10
 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.