Is a new deck for a new way of reading necessary?

earthair

Hi all, I'm after a bit of feedback, but my hands are a bit tied as far as giving you all the information, in case I decide to publish...so firstly I apologise for the cryptic-ness!

I've been refining a new way of reading, using either ToM, RWS and Thoth based cards. My dilemma is this- although it's almost possible to use many standard decks for this method, it works far better on my prototype deck, which has been developed purely to make the method of reading easier to see clearly. However, I fear that if I devote 6 months of my life to finishing the whole deck, which I would theoretically sell with the method of reading, a few things could happen...

Scenario 1. Everyone thinks it's a great idea, but they don't like MY deck, so they sacrifice a normal deck to customise, so they can use this method at 80% functionality with their favourite deck.

Scenario 2. Someone else has already thought of my method of reading, but are keeping it secret, or it doesn't happen to appear on internet searches that I've done so far, or it's been tried and shelved before because it's not really beginner level= not viable for mass market, or maybe it will even help a lot of beginners? Who knows. Either way I can't see how I can get feedback without giving this idea away, and if I submit the proposal to a publisher are they bound by confidentiality?

Scenario 3. The method works, the deck works, and suddenly everybody gets the idea how to create their own version ( I myself have already got 3+ versions of this deck in my head so far :bugeyed: !), so I've wasted my time doing the deck, because far better artists will improve it...so I may as well just tell everyone what I'm doing, publish a free to download version, let people run with it, and forget trying to have any artistic control :D

AJ

speaking in generalities, the minute a hot idea hits the market, within two weeks there are knock off imports from large nations.

Get over it and get on with it. All the best, looking forward to seeing what you are working on.

dancing_moon

If you're worried about your artistic talents, don't. For every deck out there, there are both lovers, haters and the indifferent, so yours will probably be no exception. If your method is really great, I'm sure many people will readily overlook imperfections in your deck - and many others will create their versions of your deck, unless you copyright the pattern and enforce it violently. The multitude of RWS clones might not be what Waite or PCS wanted to see, but it does tell you something about popularity of the method, doesn't it? :)

Good luck, and can't wait to see what you're working on! ;)

Vanchica

What you need to succeed as a business venture is marketing and distribution- look at the Tarot Zirkus Magi thread to see how someone is accomplishing that on their own. It's basically just a ton of hard work.

Publishers won't generally steal your ideas. It might happen one in a thousand times but you probably love your last tarot deck and book and no one stole that idea, did they?

If you want to publish the method and see if there is demand for the custom deck, use Amazon Kindle Publishing and then PrinterStudio.com for a small run of decks you can sell yourself without a large investment (no more than 100 decks at a time).

earthair

Thanks for your input :)

I think the best idea is that I do a limited run of a 'bare-bones' photographic deck, prob on Gamecrafter, because I really want some guinea pigs (who hopefully I can swear to secrecy?!) to try the method before I paint 78 cards in slow drying oils!
I still can't believe from all the searches I've done that no-one else thought of this, because the law of averages says someone must have already tried this, and maybe it is out there, but I'm not searching under the right keywords because someone else called it by a different name. Or maybe my mind works in such a wierd way that no-one else will be able to read with it at all, or hopefully, people will use it in their own personal way and develop it for their personal style. Anyway, slightly more inspired, I press on :)

Tanga

Thanks for your input :)

I think the best idea is that I do a limited run of a 'bare-bones' photographic deck, prob on Gamecrafter, because I really want some guinea pigs (who hopefully I can swear to secrecy?!) to try the method before I paint 78 cards in slow drying oils!
I still can't believe from all the searches I've done that no-one else thought of this... Or maybe my mind works in such a wierd way that no-one else will be able to read with it at all...

Oh for HEAVEN's SAKE!! Get on with it so we can all see this new deck and new way of reading already! (really curious now). Grab the bull by the horns, in for a penny and pound, etc.etc.etc.

:) Huge second guessing talk about all your fears, is only going to attract what you most fear. As well as drive you crazy.
Lol.

Grizabella

Yeah, what she said. :p

Being too precious about it is going to actually go against you. It's possible that it's not such a hum-dinger of an idea as you think it is. You can't copyright ideas, but you can copyright books and decks, so think it over and decide which---or both---you want to do and just do it. If you want to copyright it, then you'll be able to and you won't be so worried about somebody stealing the idea, providing anyone would even want to. So get busy, busy, busy and let's see what happens.

All the best of luck to you! :heart:

Coming back to add that I just read your question and you've asked if a new deck is necessary for a new way of reading the cards, but I think you're the only one who can decide that since you're the only one who knows what the new way entails. Could someone use it with a common deck? Or would it require that they have a whole different deck for it to work

Citrin

Do it! :D Haha. See it as a creative journey! Sure, someone might do a "better job" and stealing your glory, but they can never take away your creativity and your development.

We all love new decks here ;) so not that many would go "Oh I'll just use the regular RWS when using that method", nooo we've got collectors and open minded people here haha... There are tons of new decks published each year and it's really hard to know which ones will flop and which ones will become super popular. So just, take a chance ya know.

Michael Sternbach

My general advice for authors looking for success: Don't ask about the public opinion. Create it!

Chimera Dust

You should do whatever you think will work best and what you're comfortable with.

Personally, it sounds like you should create a new deck. You've said that it works with decks that already exist in the market but that's only at 80% functionality. I'd be less worried about the quality a deck you'd come up with to illustrate your method, and more about people not getting the things that your system can do. If they're not seeing those benefits 100%, they may not think that your idea is useful enough or might come up with criticism that wouldn't be there otherwise because your idea covers it when at its full potential.

People hating your deck is always going to be something that can happen, no matter how old or new the system behind it is. Just look at all the decks that use the RWS system and that people have different opinions on because some love the artwork and mood while others despise it. There are people who hate the original RWS and Thoth decks and people who love them, but even those who dislike reading with those decks can still appreciate the system and use it in their readings.

I think that it's a good idea to give people the option to modify other decks since you've said that's possible, though I'd add a disclaimer that the other decks aren't custom-built for that method. That way, people can weigh the pros and cons and read with decks they like better if they don't like the one you could come up with.

At the same time, I think you should definitely make that deck or at least include illustrations in your book that would match it. If the symbols or something in the cards would make a difference, that's something that people should be able to know, so they can understand better why they might like your system and even prefer it over the ones they're already used to.

I don't know how you could cover this in terms of publishing. My favourite option would be to include your sample deck together with your book, either as illustrations or by making it a set. I know that people may not want to pay full price for a deck they won't use (though personally, if that would make me understand the system better, I'd get it before trying to apply it to other decks). In that case, maybe you could offer the set option or the book-only option. I don't know how feasible that is, though. Another idea would be to have the companion deck available but still include the illustrations in the book.

Regarding people coming one with a similar idea, that doesn't seem very likely and it would be very bad luck if it happened in the time that it takes you to create a new deck. If this is something you're worried about, you can find a way to get proof that your writings outlining your system already exist. I've read that in the US this would be done by mailing a copy to yourself and keeping it sealed, so that if you need to go to court, you have a box or envelope with a dated postal stamp on it that hasn't been tampered with. I don't know the specifics since I don't live there but you can research what would apply in your country or ask a lawyer about it.

People ripping you off is always something that can happen. The Tarot world doesn't seem to be that big but there have been lots of posts here about people whose decks were pirated by shady publishers or used in apps without their permission. The best you can do is just make sure that you've got your bases covered if there's any need to take legal action and sue them for copyright infringement.

As to people coming up with "better" decks based on your method, I don't know how possible that is or not (based on copyright laws). However, if it does happen, I think it should be obvious to the general Tarot community that the system came from your writings and hopefully, that would encourage people to get your deck for the same reason that people get the RWS or Thoth decks when they won't read with them. People liking your deck less, in my opinion, isn't a big deal unless your deck is blatantly terrible. Not all decks appeal to everyone the same way, so even if this happens, don't take it personally. You can always take your time crafting your deck, release your book, and note that a companion deck is in the works.