Being enabled by Tarot apps!!

Celtictarot

I am not sure if it should be here or not, but with my android tablet, I have bought 3 decks I wouldn't have been able to afford. I have the Bohemian Gothic app :D

I just look at the lovely decks and go, well, its only £2.59 per app for some tarot goodness and as Bohemian Gothic is out of my price range in the physical deck, the app is a lifeline to this beautiful deck. Bonefire Tarot just is made for my tablet!

Callanish

I am not sure if it should be here or not, but with my android tablet, I have bought 3 decks I wouldn't have been able to afford. I have the Bohemian Gothic app :D

I just look at the lovely decks and go, well, its only £2.59 per app for some tarot goodness and as Bohemian Gothic is out of my price range in the physical deck, the app is a lifeline to this beautiful deck. Bonefire Tarot just is made for my tablet!

A "price sensitive" Aberdonian well, well...
;) :)

I felt the same a few years ago when I purchased Ciro's "Legacy of the Devine Tarot", App.
However...
It was nice to browse the cards for a few days but as an actual Tarot tool that I could use on a daily basis - it just didn't match the quality of the art work.

I downloaded this App and tried it and it's not really one to take much away from as an example of how to do Digital Tarot.

As for the pricing, I think if digital tarot decks are to take off then I don't believe that price reducing digital over printed is doing anyone any favours.
If publishers were to invest more in development of Tarot software that was appealing and compelling to use regularly then I think there's a HUGE new market to be tamped into for them and greater rewards to be had by the artists.

Shame, great art work...

Callanish

avalonian

I have nearly all of the Fools Dog app (plus a few others). I love the way you can zoom in and see a larger image, especially as my eyesight isn't brilliant. I have avoided buying the ones where the actual deck is expensive as I know it will make me want to buy that as well.

The other advantage with the Fools Dog apps is that they often include the book so I have that with me for a quick reference when I am not at home.. I was amazed when I bought the Rosetta and found that I had also been given the book. Also, it's a good way to carry multiple decks around without putting my back out!

I don't see the apps I have as a substitute for actual decks, more as an additional resource. I would say that of all the ones I have, the Fools Dog apps are a shining example of how good a Tarot app can be.

:) :) :)

Callanish

I have nearly all of the Fools Dog app (plus a few others). I love the way you can zoom in and see a larger image, especially as my eyesight isn't brilliant. I have avoided buying the ones where the actual deck is expensive as I know it will make me want to buy that as well.

The other advantage with the Fools Dog apps is that they often include the book so I have that with me for a quick reference when I am not at home.. I was amazed when I bought the Rosetta and found that I had also been given the book. Also, it's a good way to carry multiple decks around without putting my back out!

I don't see the apps I have as a substitute for actual decks, more as an additional resource. I would say that of all the ones I have, the Fools Dog apps are a shining example of how good a Tarot app can be.

:) :) :)

It can be much much much better than what Fools Dog is doing.

Try "Tarot & Numerology" on the iTunes App store.

For example...
It's the only Tarot App that lets you upload your own deck(s) into the App -without- having to purchase the digital version.
A bit like buying a CD and then ripping it onto your computer so you can play it on your MP3 player.
Or be creative and compile your own Tarot Deck(s) using the camera or your own art work.

It's just silly having to buy and download a new App for every deck you use.
There's 1036 Apps on iTunes right now if you search for "Tarot". Fools Dog is cluttering up the store.
T&N has an in-app deck store where you can buy more decks and install them.

32 spreads to choose from, 5 different card guides to help with interpretations plus a full suite of numerology calculators.

Price? $0.00. It's 100% free. :)

App makes it money selling readings from professional readers, no adverts and very discrete.

Callanish

maglit777

app I use & love

What I find most helpful in using an app is how easy it is to find the meanings of specific cards. I always work with a physical deck, but like to find the meanings quickly on my phone or tablet instead of leafing through a book...
I find the Open Minded Tarot Guide is just what I need. Simple to navigate and easy to find the meaning to each card. Well done, authors!

Marie-Bernard

I bought the Tarot of the Hidden Realms app and then I had to have the cards. I'd seen a couple of images here and there, but nothing jumped out at me. For one thing, I'd seen some of the cards that show children. Not a good way to interest me in a deck. ;) I was also willing to dismiss them out of hand because of the fairies, but when I flicked through the deck in it's entirety on the app I had to have it in material form too!

Wendywu

It's the only Tarot App that lets you upload your own deck(s) into the App -without- having to purchase the digital version.
A bit like buying a CD and then ripping it onto your computer so you can play it on your MP3 player.
Or be creative and compile your own Tarot Deck(s) using the camera or your own art work.

At the moment I have about 50 of my own decks (including two packs of rune cards, two minchiates, the Mantegna and one oracle) scanned into UniTarot, which comes with a basic 8 decks. Just sayin', because Tarot & Numerology isn't the only one that lets you do this :)

avalonian

It can be much much much better than what Fools Dog is doing.

Try "Tarot & Numerology" on the iTunes App store.

For example...

It's just silly having to buy and download a new App for every deck you use.
There's 1036 Apps on iTunes right now if you search for "Tarot". Fools Dog is cluttering up the store.
T&N has an in-app deck store where you can buy more decks and install them.

32 spreads to choose from, 5 different card guides to help with interpretations plus a full suite of numerology calculators.

Price? $0.00. It's 100% free. :)

App makes it money selling readings from professional readers, no adverts and very discrete.

Callanish

If there are 1036 Tarot apps on ITunes it seems a bit unfair to accuse Fools Dog of "cluttering up the store", as nearly 1000 of those apps are not by Fools Dog. I don't use ITunes so I can't see how many they have on there.

I can see the attraction of being able to upload your own decks, but then you do have to own the deck in the first place. Celtictarot did point out in the original post that apps can allow you to see/use a deck that you cannot afford to own.

As I said in my other post, one of the things I love with the Fools Dog apps is that you usually get the book as well. I find it really useful to be able to dip into the book that goes with the deck when I am away from home. I may be able to scan in decks that I own, but I can't really scan in the book.

I don't buy apps for every deck I own or use, but I will continue to buy the Fools Dog apps, for the decks that appeal, even if that makes me "silly".

Oh, and I have an Android phone and tablet, and I don't think the app you are talking about is available on Android.

Wendywu

Yeah, I'm android. Wouldn't go iPhone simply because of iTunes. I have 90Gb of my own music in my phone ... (128Gb card). And yeah, Unitarot means I need to own the deck to scan it and upload it but I very seldom buy a deck these days so it doesn't worry me overmuch. Having said that, if you had Orphalese on pc, you can use the old Orphalese decks in Unitarot :)

Aranel

Well this thread is dangerous for my bank account.

Just had a look at the fool's dog on the apple store and downloaded the four free tarot samplers (each one shows cards from a different selection of decks).

From that I've found out that I can download The Fairy Tale Tarot as an app for £2.50. So as that includes the guidebook, I can buy the Spanish edition of the physical deck (which is about £18) and just use the app for the guide.