Upside-down M solved [maybe]

Yelell

Yelell, I seem to remember reading somewhere that a bird, moving upward especially, can symbolize Fire. I think it might have been in Robert Place's The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination but I could be way off. The dove on the Ace is connected to the solar wafer and cross, so there could theoretically be a connection.

I saw (book T maybe? ) that the aces were the roots of power and the magician was the magus of power. He's got what looks like water, fire, and that dove engraved on his table, and the 4 tools sitting on top. The snake symbol of eternity, infinity above his head, his hands connecting earth and the heavens - I always figured he was the source of, I don't know, allowing or directing these powers for use? I just thought the M was him, but that is based on nothing but my imagination.

Abrac

My view on those three panels on the Magician's table has evolved lately. I've come to see them as three aspects of the human experience that Waite deals with quite a bit. The picture shows their correspondences.

PICTURE

The word "DIN" on the table leg is Hebrew and, according to Strong's: A primitive root; to rule; by implication to judge. In another reference (H113), Strong's makes it the root of Adon and Adonai:- sovereign, that is, controller (human or divine); lord, master, owner.

In Waite's symbolism, Adonai Malkah is the Shekinah in manifestation and corresponds to Malkuth: "They are in correspondence also with the figurative crown of twelve stars on the head of Adonai Malkah, the Most Holy Shekinah, the Bride and Queen in manifestation, ruling in the spiritual Malkuth, which is Sanctum Regnum, the Kingdom of the elect, in sacramental analogy with the Kingdom of this world..." - Fellowship of the Rosy Cross Zelator Initiation Ritual. She is illustrated in the tarot by The Empress.

I think "DIN" is a hidden reference to Adonai Malkah, ruling in Malkuth. It also alludes to the fourth element, Earth. But this is starting to drift off topic.

Abrac

earthair, it's an interesting idea. Do you have any references from Waite that might indicate, or even hint at, a relationship between that symbol and the Ace?

earthair

Can't find any direct Waite text, but this website is thought provoking... http://www.viewzone.com/onstott66.html

Not only is it a pyramid between pillars, those pillars are number 1s! All cleverly disguised in plain sight as a M/W. :cool2:

I like this...

" What 11 is Ultimately About

My personal opinion about what 11 is all about is integrating our bicameral minds into a state of balanced consciousness. Schooling emphasizes the left brain at the expense of the right. Advancement in society is almost entirely a left brained affair. The feminine right side of our consciousness is being systematically suppressed.

Psychic health comes when both hemispheres of the brain are more evenly matched. Artists shouldn't be starving and psychopaths shouldn't be running the world. Extremes flourish because of the imbalance in human consciousness that desperately needs to be healed."

So in relation to Aces, it's the balance between male and female enabling the waters to flow.
And looking through Masonic symbols I can see W and Ms everywhere... http://www.abide-and-endure.org/Masonic Pillars Auto Emblem.JPG

earthair

earthair, it's an interesting idea. Do you have any references from Waite that might indicate, or even hint at, a relationship between that symbol and the Ace?

For that, I think someone will need to wade through his Masonic writings...

lark

Could the reversed M be of Waite's own suggestion at sexual symbolism? If the cup is upright, putting an upside down letter on it to read upright wouldn't make sense. When I look at the Thoth deck, a beam of light enters the cup from above, as if impregnating the female element. The Yod, as it were, descends to unite with Mem.

Waite's dove also descends into the cup rather than rising out of it, so could the reversed M signify the female on her back with her "legs" up and open, ready to receive the sacred power from above?

This is a long thread and some of it I don't understand so forgive me if my interpretation sounds well simplistic...but Aeric this is how I see the upside down M too.

If taking in the whole card the M Mary is on her back W open to accepting the body of Christ the host, carried by a dove that is to be inserted into her.

Because of that upside down M I derive a whole world of meaning from this card.
It for me is unconditional love, sacrifice made out of love.
It is the moment we drop our guard and allow the mating to happen...open up to the possibility of creating new life.
The mystery of it is the act of creation...the mystery is the willingness in a woman to sacrifice her life and allow it to happen.

If you have allowed your body to carry a child you understand this mystery on a deeper level....it transmutes you... nothing is the same again.
So that is my homespun way of seeing the upside down M.
And it serves me well in readings.
When I see it I know I am dealing with a feeling that pushes all self aside.

Abrac

I’ve been going ‘round and ‘round with this for quite awhile now. I do believe I’m closer than ever to understanding where the signs are pointing. Bottom line, I think there’s a good possibility it could stand for Mystery or Mysterium; and by “Mystery” I mean that which is unseen or hidden.

Waite’s comment, “It is an intimation of that [hidden dimension] which may lie behind the Lesser Aracana” comes into play. He describes the imagery as being “an intimation” or “hint.” He’s saying within the imagery there’s a clue to that which lies behind the Lesser Aracana. One way of interpretation could be “Mystery of Faith” in a Roman Catholic sense because of the connection between the Mystery of Faith and the Eucharist. But if you go a step further, Mystery in the sense of “hidden” could be applied more easily to all four suits of the L.A. It’s that unseen and deeper mystery that “may” lie behind L.A. I think he may have qualified it with “may” because it’s a subject he hadn’t really studied or developed very seriously at the time.

Anyway, that’s the latest chapter in my ongoing saga. One I’m sure people have tired of long ago, however, feedback is appreciated, both in agreement or not, and why. :)