Faulty deck from eBay...Would you keep it?

earthair

I bought a deck on eBay which it turns out, is missing 1 card (2 of wands in a Marseilles style deck so at least I can use one of the 'cover' cards instead right?) seller will take it back for a refund if I want. The deck is 1970s, rare, OOP, well used and some cards are bent, and one card even has teeth marks :confused: so it really has character! But if I keep it, I realise it's worth nada to anyone else for resale.
I've noticed there is a newer one on the internet which I could order for twice the price.

Would you-
1. Keep the bitten deck...
or
2. Return it and get the newer one (there's always the risk this too could be faulty).

(Can't say what the deck is 'cos someone will swipe it from under my nose if I do :joke: )

DaughterOfDanu

Personally, I'd return it. I like my decks whole and the whole teeth marks thing is just a bit too "Personal" for me :p Of course you run the risk of getting another faulty deck but you still have a better chance of getting a complete one. If you're buying a used deck you could also ask the seller ahead of time to double check and make sure all the cards are there before they ship it to you :)

earthair

Funnily enough the seller swears he counted 80 cards...but he didn't put them in order, and that's how counting mistakes get missed.

I'm torn...the deck feels really comfy and reads well already...argh.

DaughterOfDanu

If you like it and you can overlook its issues, you should keep it. I know I'm probably not helping waffling like I am :p A comfortable deck that makes you happy is priceless imo.

earthair

Maybe I should treat myself to both...you know, just in case I need a set of spares ever... :angel:

(I have no restraint)

gregory

Which one ? Makes a difference to me....

Le Fanu

yes, which one!

If it was a Grimaud Marseilles; something similar happened to me; deck from flea market and it was so cheap I didn't even count. It looked about the right thickness - and Bertrand had an incomplete deck with spares, so now it's complete.

I personally would keep it and put out feelers for spares.

Depends on the teethmarks. too. Weirdly,I could live with dog/cat teethmarks more than human ones. Why is that I wonder?

earthair

I'll say if I decide to get the replacement...not before ;) I don't want the choice to be taken away before I've thought things through properly.

Re teeth marks- quite a small mouth so probably a toddler was having a nibble and that explains the folds and other damage too :joke: There was also a long grey hair. CSI would have a lot to work with.

Doing a bit of research and another factor to consider is that the bitten one came with an additional book which I can't see with the newer one. Curious. Must be 2 editions.

rwcarter

You can always post in the Lost & Found thread here to see if someone can replace the missing card.

I'd vote to get the deck cause one way or another you'll probably be able to replace the missing card. And since it already feels comfy to you....

Rodney

LindaMechele

Can you ask the seller if they'd give you part of your money back? You know, since they only sent you part of a deck. And did they mention the teeth marks and other damage in the listing? (And it was priced accordingly, yes?) If not, I'd ask for more money for that.

Maybe you can find out how much it's worth as-is and ask for enough back so that you end up paying that "partial damaged deck" price. Then keep it! Le Fanu's comment makes me think you very well may be able to find replacements for the missing/damaged cards, and in the meantime it sounds like you have a method worked out to use it already.

And of course get the other one, too. ;)