How to handle people who have ignorant views on Tarot

Freyja of V

I know this might stir some emotions, but I am curious what all of you think about this topic.

I have been learning and reading for a couple of years and only my husband and my mother know. Oh, and my hair stylist.

My husband's family is Catholic and can be judgemental (one has nothing to do with the other) and he doesn't want them to know (and I agree) because they will say it's satan's work and they will judge me. Especially because I am not religious at all, nor is my husband, but they don't believe he means it. As far as my family, I don't have much, so N/A. I haven't told my friends so it doesn't ever get back to his family. I can't take the chance. It sucks that I can't share.:mad: Edit: I am not at all concerned or worried about it, just curious if anyone else has similar stories.

Questions:
How have any you handled this if it came up?
Do any of you hide the fact that you read Tarot cards?
Has your reading Tarot caused any problems with friends/family members?

I'd love to hear other stories. I can't take advice because I really cannot tell them. I have known them for 20 years and I know I can't, so thanks anyway in advance. Freyja

Edited: I feel terrible that the word 'ignorant' offended some people or made them uncomfortable and I am sorry. The thread seemed long dead until recently, therefore I thought that I would contact a moderator to change the subject line. BUT, I looked up the word ignorant in a thesaurus and the words that were offered were: Uninformed, uneducated, innocent, naive, obtuse and illiterate. I was disappointed because I didn't feel any of these words convey the same connotation the word ignorant does in a subject line. I thought maybe 'uneducated' would work, but then I thought that word would be confusing in a subject line. So, I'm going to keep the word. I hope I don't offend anyone else. Please know that I am not using that word like it's a curse word or to put someone down; it just is what it is. Please accept my apologies :)

violetdaisy

Except for my husband's mom the reactions I get are curious, confused or dismissive. My dh is tolerant - mostly, except when he thinks it's interfering with "us" time. My mom falls in between dismissive and curious. She believes I spirit guides more along the native American pathway, and is very interested about her totem but doesn't think of tarot as a tool, or crystals etc. The most recent person to find out is another one of my co-workers, curious and a little confused. I appear completely conservative and most know me as keeping to myself about spiritual things or assume I'm mainstream Babtist like pretty much everyone around here because I don't bother correcting them. They're very shocked to find out I drink and that I was a smoker, even when I was smoking. After that shock I think that Tarot is a lesser shock lol.

mrpants

Freyja, your position is really unfortunate, and I'm sorry you have to be so sneaky. My guess is that some of your friends might be interested in sharing your hobby, if you felt that you could open up a bit to them. Or at least, maybe they wouldn't judge you for your interests.

I haven't personally had any problems that I can think of. My circle of friends tend to be pretty liberal, and run the gamut from athiest to polytheist. If the subject comes up, which it does from time to time, religion doesn't enter into any conflict because none of my religious friends consider tarot to have anything to do with religions, pro or con.

I'm not secretive about my interest in the cards, but I don't advertise it, per se. If the subject comes up, I offer my insights or historical knowledge, and continue the conversation if there is enough shared interest. I usually gauge the situation, and let it happen organically. I'm really not one to pull out a deck for no reason. I don't offer readings publicly or for money, just to friends or acquaintances that are perhaps in need.

At any rate, I'm glad you can have community here, and I hope it offers you a sense of camaraderie. I've had so much fun digging through threads for the last 10 years!

ETA: I forgot to add-- if you find yourself in a conversation with folks who are anti-tarot for any reason, don't take the bait. Just move past the topic. It's not worth arguing or feeling insulted. Usually it's just a case of folks not understanding that it's just a deck of cards.

Freyja of V

Except for my husband's mom the reactions I get are curious, confused or dismissive. My dh is tolerant - mostly, except when he thinks it's interfering with "us" time. My mom falls in between dismissive and curious. She believes I spirit guides more along the native American pathway, and is very interested about her totem but doesn't think of tarot as a tool, or crystals etc. The most recent person to find out is another one of my co-workers, curious and a little confused. I appear completely conservative and most know me as keeping to myself about spiritual things or assume I'm mainstream Babtist like pretty much everyone around here because I don't bother correcting them. They're very shocked to find out I drink and that I was a smoker, even when I was smoking. After that shock I think that Tarot is a lesser shock lol.

I am sorry to hear you are going through a little bit of what I am. At least you have more courage to even say you do it. I don't think I would ever tell my co-workers! Good for you. I wish I did have more people to talk about it with, and that is why I joined AT(this July). And, I am so happy I did. Thanks for your story. Freyja

Freyja of V

Freyja, your position is really unfortunate, and I'm sorry you have to be so sneaky. My guess is that some of your friends might be interested in sharing your hobby, if you felt that you could open up a bit to them. Or at least, maybe they wouldn't judge you for your interests.

I haven't personally had any problems that I can think of. My circle of friends tend to be pretty liberal, and run the gamut from athiest to polytheist. If the subject comes up, which it does from time to time, religion doesn't enter into any conflict because none of my religious friends consider tarot to have anything to do with religions, pro or con.

I'm not secretive about my interest in the cards, but I don't advertise it, per se. If the subject comes up, I offer my insights or historical knowledge, and continue the conversation if there is enough shared interest. I usually gauge the situation, and let it happen organically. I'm really not one to pull out a deck for no reason. I don't offer readings publicly or for money, just to friends or acquaintances that are perhaps in need.

At any rate, I'm glad you can have community here, and I hope it offers you a sense of camaraderie. I've had so much fun digging through threads for the last 10 years!

ETA: I forgot to add-- if you find yourself in a conversation with folks who are anti-tarot for any reason, don't take the bait. Just move past the topic. It's not worth arguing or feeling insulted. Usually it's just a case of folks not understanding that it's just a deck of cards.

I've know my friends a long time and unfortunately I don't think they would share an interest in Tarot, but I do know that they would be curious and supportive. They're mostly athiest and agnostic, like me, so I know that wouldn't judge at all. But, like I said I can't take the chance in my in-laws finding out. It would be awful. Not worth it.

It is unfortunate. Although my husband is great, I listen to all he has to tell me about his XBox game NeverWinter and he listens to my Tarot stuff, it's not he same as talking about it with someone who does it themselves and can really comprehend what I am talking about. Luckily my mom read Rune Stones when she was younger and her and her girlfriends has parties with psychics, so she totally gets it. But she is 83 and getting tired, mentally and physically. So I don't bother her with it all that much.

I really did have the need to talk about it and express myself with like-minded peers. I have/had questions and needed support, and that is why I joined. I am SO glad I did and it's nice to know you have been here for 10 years. I am so happy this forum exists. It is so cool to connect with Tarotists from all over the world!!
Thank you, Freyja FYI: I would never take the bait!

cwilkerson883

I am a very private person. My family lives in a rural dominant Christian area. My kids can be harassed for my reading cards. I simply put them away when company comes. It's easily done. I don't try to justify my beliefs to Christians. I am a witch and Christians aren't. I feel uncomfortable when they shove their beliefs down my throat so I try to be discreet about my beliefs so I don't shove them down their throats either. I read in my bedroom so I don't allow people in there if I feel they would be uncomfortable with my beliefs.

I shut my door and my altar and books are no longer public and therefore my beliefs are my own in a secure place where they are not judged

Freyja of V

I am a very private person. My family lives in a rural dominant Christian area. My kids can be harassed for my reading cards. I simply put them away when company comes. It's easily done. I don't try to justify my beliefs to Christians. I am a witch and Christians aren't. I feel uncomfortable when they shove their beliefs down my throat so I try to be discreet about my beliefs so I don't shove them down their throats either. I read in my bedroom so I don't allow people in there if I feel they would be uncomfortable with my beliefs.

I shut my door and my altar and books are no longer public and therefore my beliefs are my own in a secure place where they are not judged

Besides everything I said about the family/friends...I am a private person too.

My books are in my bedroom as well. Although, I do my reading on our dining room table. I have a blue velvet cloth with astrology symbols embroidered in, candles, journals, a Buddha head/oil warmer and of course, my cards. The other day, we had a A/C repairman come and I felt like I had to put it all away, just so I wouldn't be judged.

It's ashame we have to feel this way. The occult, the pentagram, even the swaztika (which is Sanskrit for good fortune and used in Buddhism) have all been distorted through history. I agree with not shoving our beliefs down other people's throats, but they don't hide so why should we have to. But...I still do. I still hide.

SwordOfTruth

Yes I hide it. For a couple of reasons.

1. I often meet people who seem to think that just because I read cards that I should give them a free reading. They just approach me with this attitude of gimme, gimme. I dislike it a lot and I feel it's quite rude of them to expect rather than to just accept it if it's offered but have no expectations.

2. I don't always want to read a particular person. I can just tell their and my energy clashes and any attempt to read them is going to end up in some kind of unpleasantness. I've had this happen in the past when I haven't followed my better judgement. People who come to a reading with the expectation that it's all rubbish or you're some kind of fraudster or purposefully trying to trick you to see if you're psychic etc. Or maybe they just have some issue going on that I don't want to touch for various reasons.

3. Some people will use it to belittle or condemn you. And if that's their attitude towards divination then I see no point in really putting myself in a position to be judged. They're unlikely to change their minds about it, so live and let live I say. Tarot isn't for everyone and I feel it's important to respect that choice as much as it is to respect the idea that I do like it.

That how I sorted it out in my head anyway.

RiverRunsDeep

I'm another one who doesn't hide it, but doesn't advertise it either.
The older I get, the less I feel like explaining myself to people. :laugh:

If someone "finds out" about my tarot interest, I start by telling them I
am a tarot card collector. If they express interest, I will go into more
detail. If not, I will leave the subject alone.

It's not that I feel shamed or embarrassed about reading tarot cards. It's
that the thought of dealing with dumb stereotypes is simply too exhausting.
Why bother explaining to someone who is determined not to "get it" anyway??