A lunch hour daydream of Major and Minor indices.

Etene

Reading a concomitant thread in which nuttyprofessor asked about comparing the Kings and 4-Emperor, we learn that...
The Emperor embodies all of the characteristics of the Kings while the Kings focus on a specific subset of those characteristics based on their suit.
Reading this and remembering proponents of a theory that the ten pips are associated with the first ten Major, connecting Emperor with King, also, creates a doubled association as follows.
Magician: Aces and Pages.
Priestess: Twos and Knights.
Empress: Threes and Queens.
Emperor: Fours and Kings.
Pope: Fives, alone.
Etc.
Is it reasonable to double book the first four Major in this way? We could displace and move the first four (to make PKnQK5678910A234), which would see Fortitude over Aces, Hanged Man over Twos, Death over Threes, and Temperance over Fours.

Associating 1-Magician with the Aces would be reducing the Aces from being instigations to simply having the capacity to instigate. Under 11-Fortitude, the Aces have the endurance needed to see their activity through to fulfillment.

Associating 2-Priestess with the Twos speaks more of finding means to resolve the oppositions that the Twos indicate, while 12-Hanged Man indicates the resolution itself, be it a new perspective or a compromise of one thing to harmonize another.

Associating 3-Empress with the Threes works really well with Three Cups' connotations, but Three Swords is a complete opposite. Putting the Threes under 13-Death, however surprisingly, works quite well to capture these five cards' two essential indications, that, one, something comes to an end, and two, those touched by the event have a strong emotional reaction to it. (Coins: The apprentice becomes a professional and the clients bring rewards. Cups: A task is completed and celebrated. Wands: A minor goal is achieved and offers a daunting new goal. Swords: A relationship ends leaving the parties distraught.)

Associating 4-Emperor with the Fours implies a sense of leadership and authority, while 14-Temperance would imply instead a sense of measure and restraint. Considering the Fours' significations (Coins: Financial restraint. Cups: Emotional restraint. Wands: A defining of home/family. Swords: Exit from conflict and gained experience.) these cards seem to me to be more reflective of Temperance than Emperor.

Numerical order aside, I'm more comfortable with PKnQK5-10A234 than either doubling the first four or trying to fit the courts beneath Majors 11-14. But with enough imagination, any index could probably be talked into fitting beneath any Major.

But what if we don't stop with 14/Fours? Continuing with that pattern instead we would find:
15-Devil over the Fives, which always bring a dire conflict.
16-Tower over the Sixes, which indicate sacrifical decisions. (Coins: Reactionary decisions and giving of wealth. Cups: The passed past. Wands: Reaction to victory or defeat. Swords: Abandoning troubles and embarrassing admissions.)
17-Star over the Sevens, which require planning now to achieve a later goal.
18-Moon over the Eights, which share a theme of future uncertainty. The eclipsing moon is featured on PCS's Eight Cups.
19-Sun over the Nines, which embody "too much" of their suits (Coins: Too much wealth. Cups: Too much pleasure. Wands: Too much initiative. Swords: Too much animosity.)
20-Judgment over the Tens, which embody what their suits result in when unrestrained.
Imperfect I'm sure (and I hope to hear arguments against these associations) but I think they fit better than the first ten Majors, which is useful to me because I see in the first ten a pattern of reflection between practical/emperical and figurative/spiritual indications.
Emperor and Pope: Secular leadership versus religious authority.
Empress and Lovers: Creativity with tangible results versus creation of intangible connections.
Priestess and Chariot: Investigation and analysis of obstacles to deal with them versus avoidance and acceptance of obstacles aiming to rush beyond them.
Magician and Justice: Craftiness to impose one's will on others versus craftiness to balance the wills of many.
Fool and Hermit: Ignorant and exploring versus wise and retreating.
Combining all of this, I find Majors 0-9 as a set of reflecting archetypes and significators of the courts, 10-Wheel being a universal sign of change, Majors 11-20 as significators of the pips, and 21-World being a universal sign of stability.

That almost sounds like a complete system behind all this card stuff. ;)

rwcarter

I have to reread all that when I'm not at work and can focus on each word....