Searching for book information

keninmaine

Hello,

I am fairly new to the tarot and have been perusing a lot of books for beginners. A few days ago, I read the back cover of a book that featured a learning outline that I liked. The author's method was to learn the minor arcana first, one suit at a time. When one suit was learned, you practiced reading with just that one suit before moving on to the next suit (I imagine the one-suit readings were with small spreads of two or three cards). After making your way through the minors, you went on to the major arcana. This method seemed to make sense to me, but at the time I did not take down the name of the book or its author. And upon returning to the store I was unable to find it. Does this book sound familiar to anyone? I'd greatly appreciate any help in tracking it down. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Ken

keninmaine

Found it!

The book I was searching for was the Beginner's Guide to Tarot by Juliette Sharman-Burke, which I think is part of a book/deck set. I am not sure that I need another deck right now, so I may skip this. Has anyone used this book as a starting point and found it especially helpful?

rwcarter

Welcome to Aeclectic, keninmaine!

You can likely find the book by itself in used bookstores (which often won't take the decks but will take the books) or through online sources like abebooks or amazon resellers. Just be sure the listing says something like "book only, no cards included".

Rodney

Ruby Jewel

The book I was searching for was the Beginner's Guide to Tarot by Juliette Sharman-Burke, which I think is part of a book/deck set. I am not sure that I need another deck right now, so I may skip this. Has anyone used this book as a starting point and found it especially helpful?

In 1986, Juliet Sharman-Burke published a great tarot deck with Liz Greene, who is highly renowned in the field of astrology. The deck is called "Mythic Tarot" and the story in each suit is based on a famous mythological tale, such as the suit of Cups is based on the legend of Eros and Psyche, Wands is based on Jason and the Argonauts, Swords is based on Orestes and the Curse on the House of Atreus, and Pentacles on Daedalus and King Minos of Crete. It is a truly beautiful deck that is hard to find in the original version...very expensive, but still out there on E Bay. There is a newer version, but the cards are a little different. I don't know if it is still in print or not. The cards on the original deck were illustrated by Tricia Newell...and there is a really great book with it. It was actually the deck my teacher used and the one I learned to read with in New York City in the 80s. My teacher is now the President of NCGR in the United States.

I haven't used the book you are talking about so I don't know about that particular one....I think it came after "The Mythic Tarot."

RavenLuna

That deck and book set are available from The Fool's Dog as an app. It might be easier to download it for a couple of quid, than search or wait for the book alone.
I haven't got this app or book, but I really like the Mythic Tarot book by the same author.

Ruby Jewel

That deck and book set are available from The Fool's Dog as an app. It might be easier to download it for a couple of quid, than search or wait for the book alone.
I haven't got this app or book, but I really like the Mythic Tarot book by the same author.

Seems like I saw the book "Beginner's Guide to the Tarot" by Burke on Amazon not long ago.