astrological corrospondences

Ravenswing

hi guys--

You may have noticed the astrological corrospondences on the cards of the Thoth deck. Each of the minor arcana from the 2's to the 10's have a planet in a sign designated. For example, the six of cup has the sun in scorpio. This gives us a partial interpretation of the card.

As a stand alone factor, not necessarily connected to a chart, how would you interprete the influnece of a planet in a sign?

Would you consider a 'keyword'-type system? If so, what would it be?

fly well
raven

Macavity

Ravenswing said:
Would you consider a 'keyword'-type system? If so, what would it be?
Well, I have this notion perennially in mind! :D

As a non-astrologer, I found Banzhaf and Haeblers book "Keywords for Astrology" does something rather like this. They produce e.g. a couple of page of attributes, firstly for each planet, then a couple of pages for each sign, and finally a single page (less for the outer planets) of every possible combination of "planet in sign" upto Pluto! That's about half the book, the rest is (even more!) tables of "planet in house" etc. interspersed with a basic guide to chart interpretation...

From my limited perspective, I rather LIKE the book! I think we know what some Taroists feel about "keyword books", but I wouldn't know about astrologers? <G> Thus, whether the keywords are useful (consistant with most astrologers?), I cannot really say - But it all looked not unreasonable to me! That said, I wasn't convinced e.g. that planet in sign attributes *I* looked at were particularly consistent with Crowley's Astrological ideas for the Thoth minors. But then Mr.C. did seem to "cherry pick" (any?) correspondance ideas that supported his general intent for the cards, so maybe this isn't such a big surprise... ;)

Macavity

Rusty Neon

"The Only Way to ... Learn Astrology: Volume 1" by Joan McEvers and Marion D. March gives keywords for

- planets
- signs
- houses
- planets in signs
- planets in houses

Rusty Neon

Re: Re: astrological corrospondences

Macavity said:
That said, I wasn't convinced e.g. that planet in sign attributes *I* looked at were particularly consistent with Crowley's Astrological ideas for the Thoth minors. But then Mr.C. did seem to "cherry pick" (any?) correspondance ideas that supported his general intent for the cards, so maybe this isn't such a big surprise... ;)

It seems that the Golden Dawn astrological correspondences cherry-picked by Mathers for the small cards (Two to Ten of each suit) were influenced by the Qabalistic situation of the given card. One feature that I especially like about Wang's book _The Qabalistic Tarot_ is that, for nearly every small card, Wang gives a planet explanation and a sign explanation that fit the Golden Dawn meaning of that card, thus pointing out a possible, astrologically-valid cherry-picked planet-in-sign meaning for that card. This is really helpful for non-astrologers like me.