Minchiate - Outline

full deck

General Statement of Intent
This is a proposed outline for starting a study group on
the minchiate. This group will cover:

• [*]The discussion pertaining to the modern-day usage of the
    minchiate for divination as well as game playing.
    [*]The historic nature of the minchiate's role as precursor
    to the Marseilles pattern,
    [*]The symbolism of the minchiate, its similarities and differences
    to other decks (most notably those of the Marseilles pattern), and,
    [*]The use of Astrological meanings inheirent in the zodiac
    cards of the minchiate.

Outline of Discussion
I propose the following general plan of discussion:
First, we can start with discussing each card of the deck, especially its symbology and qualities, using the following order:

0: Minchiate - Fool
1: Minchiate - Magician
2: Minchiate - Grand Duke
3: Minchiate - Western Emperor
4: Minchiate - Eastern Emperor
5: Minchiate - Love
6: Minchiate - Temperance
7: Minchiate - Strength
8: Minchiate - Justice
9: Minchiate - Wheel of Fortune
10: Minchiate - The Chariot
11: Minchiate - Time
12: Minchiate - Hanged Man
13: Minchiate - Death
14: Minchiate - The Devil
15: Minchiate - The Tower
16: Minchiate - Hope
17: Minchiate - Prudence
18: Minchiate - Faith
19: Minchiate - Charity
20: Minchiate - Fire
21: Minchiate - Water
22: Minchiate - Earth
23: Minchiate - Air
24: Minchiate - Libra
25: Minchiate - Virgo
26: Minchiate - Scorpio
27: Minchiate - Aries
28: Minchiate - Capricorn
29: Minchiate - Sagittarius
30: Minchiate - Cancer
31: Minchiate - Pisces
32: Minchiate - Aquarius
33: Minchiate - Leo
34: Minchiate - Taurus
35: Minchiate - Gemini
36: Minchiate - The Star
37: Minchiate - The Moon
38: Minchiate - The Sun
39: Minchiate - The World
40: Minchiate - Fame (Judgement)
41-x: Minchiate - The remaining minor arcana (pips), in numerical order.

We should also encourage discussion topics that fall outside of card meanings and symbology, for example:

Minchiate - General history and background
Minchiate - How to read with it
Minchiate - How to play the game
Minchiate - How to use the zodiac cards
Minchiate - Deck discussion and comparison to other decks

These additional topics can be interwoven into the general progression of card topics. That way, things will not get too boring.

As of now, we already have threads posted on the Fool, Magician and the Grand Duke (Papess). I anticipate that we will be mining some of the history section of the forum since there is much therein that directly relates to a historical discussion of the symbols found in the minchiate.

Moonbow

Great idea

Yep, I'm in, with what little I have to offer :) I'm still 'playing' with my deck and trying to sort out in my own mind the card meanings - although I do like alot of what Brian Williams says (I'm open to expanding and changing what I have read though)

Anyone else?

lionette

Hi full deck and Moonbow, I'm with you!

My deck arrived yesterday (the 19th) and am just opening it now! Perfect timing, no?? :)

Full deck -- excellent outline. I think this will make for interesting discussion!

contrascarpe

Oh great, another study group to interest me.

Just when I think I know it all (about Tarot anyway) something like this comes along. I was in a metaphysical shop today and saw the Lo Scarabeo (my weakness, I must admit - worst LWB's, wonderful decks) of the Ancient Minchiate Etruria.

Well, I love European history (deck circa 1725), I love the images on the cover, and I really, really was intrigued by a 97 card deck (more is better? ..... hell yeah!).

So, I bought it! And since this is the second Marseilles style deck I have bought in the last week (the third in my collection being THE Marseilles deck, purchased by me in 1997 on the Right Bank in Paris), I must say ....... I am in. I must learn this deck :)

Dan

full deck

Next . . .

I will shortly post an entry on "V - Love", since we have collectively posted on the II-IIII progression that is the Grand Duke, Western and Eastern Emperor. I still have some outstanding research on the Emperors that I will post.

Let us all use this posting as a floating status keeper for posting information or for announcing any other posting-related information.

Sophie-David

Minchiate Study Group Catalogue

The current thread listings for the Minchiate Study Group are now maintained in the Marseilles & Other Early Decks Forum Table of Contents.