Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Legacy of the Divine Study Group - Strength

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Tarot Study Groups

Citizen

NatKat 
Citizen

Legacy of the Divine Study Group - Strength

In the classical RWS symbolism we see a woman with an infinity sign above her head subduing a lion. This classical interpretation is of the divine subduing, through love, the bestial nature. Hinduism gives us the symbolism of a woman riding a lion (or tiger) as the goddess Durga who has the power to defeat demons. Thoth deck touches upon this symbolism in the Lust card.

In Legacy of the Divine, a woman appears with three big cats, a lion, a leopard, and a tiger. She neither rides them nor subdues them. Rather she appears to be bestowing consciousness upon them.

The imagery in Legacy of the Divine adds an interesting twist to the classical interpretations. In this case, the animal passions are not subdued or ridden ... rather they are brought to consciousness.

Why 3 cats?

I have no idea. Anyone?
Top   #1
Citizen

Practicing Human 
Citizen

I'm not sure why there are three cats...

I didn't interpret her as bestowing consciousness on the cats. When I first saw this card it appeared to me as if she was entrancing the cats, like putting an hypnotic spell on them or something. They seem checked out and mesmerized to me.

I do love this deck but I wouldn't say this is one of my favorite portrayals of the Strength card. I don't hate it, but I like seeing the lion submissive through its own will rather than some hypnotic force being at play.
Top   #2
Citizen

ana luisa 
Citizen

I see this card as meaning: you may remain the same (lady) but the way you show your strength can/should/will take on different shapes. Like being strong while helping a sick son X being strong at defending your points during a heated debate. You may change your skin and shape but NEVER the essence.
Top   #3
Citizen

NatKat 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana luisa View Post
I see this card as meaning: you may remain the same (lady) but the way you show your strength can/should/will take on different shapes. Like being strong while helping a sick son X being strong at defending your points during a heated debate. You may change your skin and shape but NEVER the essence.
Interesting. So the 3 cats are different types of strength ... if I understand your meaning?
Top   #4
Citizen

ana luisa 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post
Interesting. So the 3 cats are different types of strength ... if I understand your meaning?
Yes. three different types of strength, approaches AND sometimes, "skin" as in the way you show yourself to others.
Top   #5

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.