Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

BeyondtheVeil

I ordered it! :)

I've started a thread to get some info on the Sun and Moon Tarot.
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=275856

What can you guys tell me about it? I would like to be enabled, but if it has some cons.. I should know that before order also. lol

Thanks loves! :heart:
BeyondtheVeil

Thanks guys for coming to my thread and helping me out! :thumbsup: I've decided to buy it and give it a try!

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil

FLizarraga

For the first time in quite a while, I find myself stumped regarding a deck I'm interested in.

Has anyone here worked with the Lost Tarot of Nostradamus deck and book set? How was it?

*cough* gimmick *cough*

Sorry, something got stuck in my throat... :)

EmpyreanKnight

*cough* gimmick *cough*

Sorry, something got stuck in my throat... :)

Hey FLiz, are you OK? Do you need some water? Here ya go. . . 🍶🍸🍷

Now why do I suddenly feel unsure about this deck. ;)

C_McQueen

Can anyone talk me into or out of the Bonefire tarot? I LOVE the colors and how bold they are, and I like the art style, but I'm not sure how much I like the actual images? Does anyone have this one? How does it read for you?

cosita

I'm sorry, cosita, I'm here to do some enabling. I never looked at the Mystical borders before buying it, because I figured that they were going under the scissors anyway. I'm a big borderphobe, and I mean BIG.

Yet, when the cards arrived, I found that the borders work for me. They are minimal, they include astrological information for the majors, and they do attractive things when you fan or shuffle the cards.

Now, I'm not 100% happy with the art. Some of the faces are rather odd, like that fellow in the 2 of Cups, or the one in the 9 of Cups (who does not look too pleased. And sometimes the Siqueiros or Rivera-ish proportions of the figures do not work so well. But when it works (for me), as it does most of the time, it is rather wonderful. There are a lot of nods to classic Italian decks like the Soprafino, and even the Sola Busca.

Odd? Absolutely. But, for me at least, compellingly odd --to riff on barefootlife's rather felicitous turn of phrase.

I missed this, FLizarraga! Thank you for chiming in! I'll probably eventually get it because I'm intrigued in spite of the borders. It's not an expensive deck so if it turns out to be a dud for me, I won't feel too bad.

cosita

I have had my opinion in a couple of threads. (maybe even here). So I have positive and negative feelings about this deck but I'm not ready to get rid of it. Well I don't really get rid of anything but I have this strange feeling I will pull it out one day and enjoy it very much. And for some reason the borders work for me in this deck. I'm in the middle on this one. I can't enable or de-enable. It's sort of the actual make up of this deck as well. Most of the cards are absolutely beautiful! Other's come out of nowhere. I have this feeling the strangeness of it will become appealing. Sorry if I didn't de-enable you very much.

Thanks, magicjack! I feel like I'll eventually get the deck. There's something about it that calls out to me. Thanks for putting in your 2 cents!

BeyondtheVeil

BoneFire Tarot

Can anyone talk me into or out of the Bonefire tarot? I LOVE the colors and how bold they are, and I like the art style, but I'm not sure how much I like the actual images? Does anyone have this one? How does it read for you?

I have this deck. I bought it about a month or so ago. I really like how different the images are, but once I received it.. I feel like I can't read with it.

The truth is that it is still brand new in it's box. I like looking at this deck and I may take some time to try to read with it at some point. Right now, I am enjoying other decks. I find it interesting though that I still like it and haven't added it to my 'sell/trade" pile.

I would look up the cards to see what you think. You can find a deck walk through on Youtube.

I probably would have tried it before now, but I also purchased Everyday Witch Tarot at the same time. I absolutely love that deck and started reading with it immediately. Now I have a lot of new decks, so I still haven't made it to the Bonefire Tarot yet.

I'm honestly not sure if I will try or sale/trade it away. I haven't had a lot of time for readings or looking through my decks to 'bond".

Let us know what you decide. :)

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil

P.S. I have the mass market one sold online.

FLizarraga

Hey FLiz, are you OK? Do you need some water? Here ya go. . . 🍶🍸🍷

Now why do I suddenly feel unsure about this deck. ;)

Thanks for the water, EK! :)

Well, it is a pretty deck (though, like the Enchanted, it has borders upon borders upon borders), and at least some of the imagery seems to come from alchemy books, or at least from Medieval ones. The creators of this deck are people with brains, so I guess it cannot be a dud.

Now, as for it being sourced from some recently found Nostradamus manuscript, as well as for believing that Nostradamus had anything unique to contribute of Tarot, um...

FLizarraga

Ha ha, you asked for it, Georges Dandin ;-)

I LOVE the Silhouettes tarot. I ordered it because I was fascinated by it; I love silhouettes as an art form of the 18th, 19th century, Jewish folklore papercuts and silhouette animations of the early 20th century. So it was obvious I had to get that deck.

I was not sure I'd like the many cute critters though. I was afraid that this was just a gimmick deck, a bit twee, a bit naff, I really felt mixed about it.

And then it arrived. And I started reading with it. And I felt WOW.

This deck reads like a dream. I have the second borderless edition. You need no complex spread. Just put the cards next to each other and voila, you have a storyboard. The cards melt into each other. I swear those critters wander from card to card!

You just see before your eyes the expressive, beautifully coloured and designed backgrounds with their strong atmosphere - and those silhouette actors - they enact a drama that you understand. The run, jump, fall down, look at each other, I sound crazy and certainly am, but this deck is the most alive I have. Others try to do what this one does - storytelling decks.

I love my esoteric-symbolic-abstract-erudite decks, I do. But I can't say that I love my narrative-intuitive-expressive decks any less. And this one just works for me.

I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, I'm strictly speaking about myself. The cuteness overload doesn't disturb me at all - it draws me in and the deck sends those cute little things into heat and cold, danger and thorns, it doesn't shy back from pain and loneliness and quiet despair.

I did readings for teenagers with it who actually just wanted to see that this tarot tic is nothing at all. And the cards were just wonderful with them. Told them what they needed to know, in a language they understood. They were quite astonished.

There is no reason not to recommend this deck. Oh, it's so kind and honest in readings that I do my shadow work with it. And my shadows are horrible things.

Sorry for the anthropomorphisms, but this deck really comes alive at night. Oh and also by day.

Dang! This thread is a minefield. I'm so enabled now, and Masa September is still not selling a new edition... 😍

I'd like to add that it reminds me the most of Chinese shadow puppetry, which I grew up watching --long story.

Carojulie

I really like the images on that deck. I am very taken by the style of art, the colors... I also like that this deck tends to be a tad more inclusive than many other decks (for example it shows two women on the four of wands)
But as much as I really like the pictures, I cannot bring myself to bond with this deck, though I would really love to.
The fault lies with the cardstock unfortunately. The cards are too large for my hands (but I could have lived with that), and the cardstock is thick and shiny. It is the shiny part that I really do not like. It is the sort of shiny lamination that means the cards stick to one another.... it makes shuffling really hard.
Shuffling is difficult first because the deck is so large, but even worse because the cards stick in clumps. And they are so rigid !

I am not averse to thick cardstock when it is thick and sleek and FINE (like the Wild Unknown or the Fountain, some of my prefered decks cardstockwise). But I do not like thick unyelding cardstock that hurt your palms. And, even worse, rigid shiny cardstock that makes shuffling so difficult.

Too bad, because I would really love to love this deck.... and I do love the images.... but the feel a deck makes in my hands is very important to me, I suppose I am a tactile person.
I am pretty sure I would have loved this deck to pieces if I had had the first edition (wich was smaller and matter apparently), but I only have the Schiffer edition and the cardstock is just not my cup of tea, to the point that I rarely use the deck :(