Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Jewish Word Meaning Help Needed

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Beyond Tarot > Kabbalah & Alphabets

Citizen

JuniperPress 
Citizen
Jewish Word Meaning Help Needed

Does anyone know the translation of the word or name Yehovit? The only source I can find is ...
When God does speak to Israel, we immediately face a curiosity in the text, for the word God begins with is strange – The introduction of God to the people is with the word: “I am” but using a rare four letter root “Anochi” instead of the more usual word “Ani”. The Talmud has a beautiful explanation for why God is using such a strange word to introduce God to the people:- Rabbi Yochanan explains that this word must be an acronym for Ana Nafshi Ketovit Yehovit – which means “I wrote My very soul and gave it to you” or “I am giving you My soul in writing” (Shabbat 105a).

Is it the word soul? Does anyone have any insight or guesses on this? Thanks
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #1
Citizen

ficbot 
Citizen

-it is a suffix for female names. The first part of that word has the same root as a name of G-d that we don't say out loud. So, the meaning might be something like 'little G-d.'
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #2
Citizen

Nemia 
Citizen

Nefesh is soul - nafshi means "my soul".
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #3
Citizen

JuniperPress 
Citizen

Hi Nemia,

Thanks for you reply. I'm sort of familiar with the various other words for different aspects of the sould - nefesh, ruach and neshamah but was curious about yehovit. I didn't know the possessive for nefesh either so thanks for your post I sort of wish I had learned hebrew when I was younger. And spanish. lol
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #4
Jedi

Zephyros 
Jedi

What section in the Bible is being discussed in the quote? In many places context is key above all else to understand a given word.
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #5
Citizen

JuniperPress 
Citizen

zephyros, this is it in context - Ana Nafshi Ketovit Yehovit
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #6
Resident

copperbird 
Resident

Yehovit is probably from the root YHB - to give. ie. not same spelling as the name of god. It's spelled with a bet, not a vav.

(Does that make sense? There are two different letters in hebrew that can be read as the consonant 'v')/)
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #7
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 
Cat on a cold stone roof

I am in no way knowledgeable here - but google takes me to this, on the subject of the 10 Commandments:
Quote:
Anochi is an acronym for Ana Nafshi Ketovit Yehovit. Simply translated: I Myself wrote [these words and] gave [them to you]. But on closer inspection the actual translation is far more intriguing: I wrote down My very Soul and gave it to you. Or more poetically: My Soul is inscribed in these words that I gave you.
Or on another site:
Quote:
Rabbi Yochanan explains that this word must be an acronym for Ana Nafshi Ketovit Yehovit – which means “I wrote My very soul and gave it to you” or “I am giving you My soul in writing” (Shabbat 105a).
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #8
Citizen

JuniperPress 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
I am in no way knowledgeable here - but google takes me to this, on the subject of the 10 Commandments: Or on another site:
Thanks gregory, yes I came across that too which I was I was wondering about the translation of 'soul' there. I guess there is no clear cut answer (like most of the time)
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #9
Resident

copperbird 
Resident

(mistake)
 Need help? Get your live Tarot Reading now      Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.