Cards as locations

greenseer

Hi all :)

This may be a bit of an unpopular topic, as I read cards in quite a literal way. It works very well for me but I know a lot of readers prefer to look at the cards from a spiritual/psychological angle. But I recently did a spread where the Moon card seemed to be indicating a body of water, which would make a lot of sense as I can personally verify that as correct. But I had wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience with cards being a nod toward specific locations/events? And if so what were your results?

(also apologies if this is meant to go in the Talking Tarot topic, I'm so bad at know where to properly post :( )

Barleywine

This is an interesting question that kind of falls into the same bin as "tarot timing." I've found tarot to be effective for "who, what, why and how" questions, but less so for "where" and "when." Sometimes the visual cues on the card will reveal location in a general way: a river or mountain are obvious examples. The element could also have something to say; Cups as a "wet place," Pentacles as a "dry place," and so forth. Suit could also be useful: Pentacles as a "work-place," Swords as a "place of learning," and such. I've never found it to get much closer than that, but then I haven't had many occasions to try since I'm usually in "who, what, why and how" space in my readings.

Tanga

I'll agree with Barleywine, that the "when" and "where" are more elusive for me in readings.
But - that doesn't stop me taking a stab at it sometimes if intuition sways me :joke:

I can't cite any specific things right now...
I vaguely remember one reading where I said "Well from the card it may be a place with a large statue and water...does that ring any bells for you?..." - and the sitter said yes.
*shrugs* fingers crossed and all. :) (no - I don't even remember what card).

And with events - for myself - I sometimes read majors as particular times of year of celebration in the Pagan calendar (as I am pagan) - so events such as Halloween/Samhain or Midsummer/Litha (The Wheel and The Sun) may pop up as a "when" and then I may think of a "where" that makes sense for me.

Grizabella

Tarot timing is a variable skill for me, too, but I'm of Native American descent, so the "many moons ago" little phrase is familiar to me. If I were to get the Moon as referring to timing, I'd say it was a month. Also, if the Star card were to be drawn, I'd be inclined to consider it at the new moon, where the moon isn't visible in the sky. Other than that, though, nisaba's timing method is good, it seems to me. You can find it in the Spreads sub-forum, I think. Also, there's a Lo Scarabeo deck called the Wheel of The Year (I think---I just woke up and you'd be amazed how stupid I am till I get fully awake.) Anyway in the LWB to that deck there's a section on how to use it for timing.

Posted too soon. :bugeyed:

Anyway, the "place" of a question would be easier for me because I take into consideration the kind of location pictured in the card I've drawn for "where" or from another suitable card within the spread.

AraLuck

That is a cool topic and I have also wondered whether it was possible to define locations with Tarot.. we should perpahs do a practice run on one of the game threads!

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

Sibylline

I generally don't read locations w. tarot (I'm in the spiritual/psychological camp). But, I have a funny anecdote that turned me into a believer.

Last year, I had a friend who desperately needed to find a lost item, and my Rider Waite deck was quite literal about its location and the timing involved.

Two cards from the reading were the 6 of cups rx and the Knight of Cups. The item was found right next to a row of empty flower vases that were upside down (6 of cups rx). It was found when a plumber came to replace the toilet in one of the bathrooms (Kn of Cups). The knight's cup, in that case, was the new toilet bowl. :laugh:

That reading really makes me want to practice reading locations!

Barleywine

I generally don't read locations w. tarot (I'm in the spiritual/psychological camp). But, I have a funny anecdote that turned me into a believer.

Last year, I had a friend who desperately needed to find a lost item, and my Rider Waite deck was quite literal about its location and the timing involved.

Two cards from the reading were the 6 of cups rx and the Knight of Cups. The item was found right next to a row of empty flower vases that were upside down (6 of cups rx). It was found when a plumber came to replace the toilet in one of the bathrooms (Kn of Cups). The knight's cup, in that case, was the new toilet bowl. :laugh:

That reading really makes me want to practice reading locations!

I once created a spread that ties in the locational cues of horary astrology with tarot reading. So far I've used it once successfully to find a missing item. I'm pretty sure I posted it in the Spreads sub-forum a couple of years ago (or maybe I just used it to help someone in the Divination sub-forum who had lost something).

ETA: Here it is.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=233388&highlight=Lost

hplizzy

Hi, could anyone post a detailed understanding of how to read locations or post a link to a good source?

thank you :)

Trogon

Never had a specific, literal location come out in a reading that I can recall. Though, a few years ago I was using my Deviant Moon Tarot for a self-reading and got The Hermit for some position ... it shows a person holding their hands over the right side of their face ... next day I woke up with shingles ... on the right side of my face. :eek: