Signatures, Gimmicks, Shows

dannyboy8406

So to those who read either professional or at fairs or in a party setting. Do you guys have a signature 'style' that you use or maybe a type of gimmick that sets you apart from others...or do you just show up in the clothes you've been in all day and do your thing?

I know I've heard of some people online that have said they just show up as they are and their services get refused because they don't fit that mental image the client has of a "fortune teller"... lol. To me personally as long as you adhere yourself to a set of principles and ethics and keep things reasonably professional, everything else is cake icing.

For me personally, I don't wear anything special...just whatever clothing I happen to put on that morning (unless of course its a more formal affair). As far as the reading itself goes, I don't do anything out of the ordinary shuffling or reading-wise. But being a proud Appalachian and really tapping into that heritage, I guess I do have a few gimmicks that would be considered 'out of the ordinary'.

Instead of a candle I use a small-sized oil lamp with ultra-pure oil infused with a blend of essential oils (so you basically get the effects of incense and a candle combined in 1..lol). and instead of cloth made of silk or printed, my reading cloth is a large 'mini quilt' that has had small squares sewn together, bordered, backed, and then a quilting pattern sewn all the way through it. I usually have a small assortment of crystals along with me and these are kept in a small handmade potter plate that has had the impression of a real local tree leaf permanently baked into it (so pretty!).

So again, nothing too out of the ordinary I suppose....just some tweaks on the traditional to make it tie in more closely with my cultural heritage.

GotH

I bought this outfit a few years ago when I was hired to read cards at a Halloween party. I have kept the costume to wear for other themed parties that require a glammed out "fortune teller." I usually bring one of my crystal balls and of course my cards and cloth setup.

And NO, I don't pose like that in between readings! :joke:

When I read for my 'word of mouth' clients I usually just wear all black and dramatic makeup. :*

When I read online at home, I'm a plain Jane in yoga pants. :D

baconwaffles

Instead of a candle I use a small-sized oil lamp with ultra-pure oil infused with a blend of essential oils (so you basically get the effects of incense and a candle combined in 1..lol). and instead of cloth made of silk or printed, my reading cloth is a large 'mini quilt' that has had small squares sewn together, bordered, back, and then a quilting patter sewn all the way through it. I usually have a small assortment of crystals along with me and these are kept in a small handmade potter plate that has had the impression of a real local tree leaf permanently baked into it (so pretty!).

So again, nothing too out of the ordinary I suppose....just some tweaks on the traditional to make it tie in more closely with my cultural heritage.

The picture you painted in my mind is quite lovely. I think these sorts of things, gimmicks or shows, are in general good. I like to have selenite always near. I don't burn incense but I wouldn't mind doing so if the moment warranted it. My reading cloths change depending on my mood as well. I do like having runes and a particular necklace nearby but not necessarily out on the reading cloth. The layout is pretty basic and it works for me.

Grizabella

I just wear what I always wear most of the time. For Halloween or if a themed party is my reading venue, I might dress the part. I'm a little eccentric anyway, so what I wear vs. what someone else might wear is probably a little different. I'm 70 years old and have waist-length hair, just for starters. And I like bold jewelry---even though a lot of it is fake, but it's gorgeous so I like it.

I enjoy the dressing up part and if it was expected of us fortune teller types, I'd gladly go along with it all the time. Since it doesn't matter to most people just every day, I just wear everyday clothes.

dannyboy8406

I bought this outfit a few years ago when I was hired to read cards at a Halloween party. I have kept the costume to wear for other themed parties that require a glammed out "fortune teller." I usually bring one of my crystal balls and of course my cards and cloth setup.

I have yet to do a costume party lol Usually my friends and I dress up and do our own Halloween thing so I'm never 'available' ....and living in the buckle of the bible belt there aren't many opportunities around for other such activities lol This year for Halloween, I think my friends and I agreed on everyone wearing Kimono and Yukata and sitting outside on my friends brick patio with Asian lanterns and giving out candy to all the kids.

The picture you painted in my mind is quite lovely. I think these sorts of things, gimmicks or shows, are in general good. I like to have selenite always near. I don't burn incense but I wouldn't mind doing so if the moment warranted it. My reading cloths change depending on my mood as well. I do like having runes and a particular necklace nearby but not necessarily out on the reading cloth. The layout is pretty basic and it works for me.

Thanks! I will have to snap a pic of it next time I do the whole setup, it makes for a nice 'homey' presentation. I'll stick a pic of my cloth up for now. I've also found that having such elements in this area can help make people feel more relaxed...lots of people in this area tap into that style of decor for their houses and such, they call it "primitive". I haven't really marketed myself or anything...most of what I have done has been for friends and friends of friends and some family....maybe I should call myself the 'Appalachian Intuitive'.

Attachments

• cloth.jpg
    cloth.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 112

Annabelle

I can only comment anecdotally, as I'm not a professional reader.

But on the occasions when I've read for friends and family, they always seem to want me to put on a shawl or some other accessories that make me look like something that matches their mental image of a fortune-teller.

I'm okay with that; I keep an embellished shawl in my tarot room just for such occasions :).

But when I've been at parties/events where someone had been hired to read tarot, I recall seeing the tarot readers quite normally dressed, in keeping with everyone else at the party.

And on the one occasion when I've paid to have my cards read, the reader was in jeans, I think, and an ordinary shirt. I wasn't looking at her outfit, to be honest -- I was looking at her facial expression and her eyes.

dannyboy8406

I do like having runes and a particular necklace nearby but not necessarily out on the reading cloth. The layout is pretty basic and it works for me.

I tried the necklace thing and I'm just not a necklace type of guy. I usually wear a bracelet, granted its usually just a wrapped piece of leather on my left wrist but I did some research and discovered the wonderful things that are mala bracelets! I've got 3, have 3 more on the way, and can't stop adding them to my 'wishlist' lol. I find that they are a highly effective way to combine different types of gemstones together in an effective way.

My current ones are combinations of:

Smoky Quartz
Garnet
Carnelian
Citrine
Jade
Water Sapphire
Ebony Wood

Black Moonstone
Oranve Aventurine
Mookaite
Malachite
Aquamarine
Sodalite
White Moonstone
Onyx

Hematite
Amber
Tiger Eye
Bloodstone
Turquoise
Lapis
Amethist
Lava Rock

I can only comment anecdotally, as I'm not a professional reader.

But on the occasions when I've read for friends and family, they always seem to want me to put on a shawl or some other accessories that make me look like something that matches their mental image of a fortune-teller.

I'm by no means a pro either but I do find a little comfort in keeping certain "traditions" and "rituals" even though they're not required to do a reading... I can as easily pull out my small cards and do a reading on my lunch break with absolutely nothing as I can with all the little extras, but I do feel more...I guess you could say connected with all the small embellishments.

baconwaffles

I have yet to do a costume party lol Usually my friends and I dress up and do our own Halloween thing so I'm never 'available' ....and living in the buckle of the bible belt there aren't many opportunities around for other such activities lol This year for Halloween, I think my friends and I agreed on everyone wearing Kimono and Yukata and sitting outside on my friends brick patio with Asian lanterns and giving out candy to all the kids.

Thanks! I will have to snap a pic of it next time I do the whole setup, it makes for a nice 'homey' presentation. I'll stick a pic of my cloth up for now. I've also found that having such elements in this area can help make people feel more relaxed...lots of people in this area tap into that style of decor for their houses and such, they call it "primitive". I haven't really marketed myself or anything...most of what I have done has been for friends and friends of friends and some family....maybe I should call myself the 'Appalachian Intuitive'.
That cloth is beautiful! I can imagine the homey feeling this creates, especially now seeing the quilted cloth. Maybe when I move into more professional readings I will create be more proactive in creating a more in depth setup. For now I only read very little for others.

baconwaffles

I tried the necklace thing and I'm just not a necklace type of guy. I usually wear a bracelet, granted its usually just a wrapped piece of leather on my left wrist but I did some research and discovered the wonderful things that are mala bracelets! I've got 3, have 3 more on the way, and can't stop adding them to my 'wishlist' lol. I find that they are a highly effective way to combine different types of gemstones together in an effective way.

My current ones are combinations of:

Smoky Quartz Black Moonstone Hematite
Garnet Oranve Aventurine Amber
Carnelian Mookaite Tiger Eye
Citrine Malachite Bloodstone
Jade Aquamarine Turquoise
Water Sapphire Sodalite Lapis
Ebony Wood White Moonstone Amethist

I'm by no means a pro either but I do find a little comfort in keeping certain "traditions" and "rituals" even though they're not required to do a reading... I can as easily pull out my small cards and do a reading on my lunch break with absolutely nothing as I can with all the little extras, but I do feel more...I guess you could say connected with all the small embellishments.
I love the mala bracelets as well, I love gemstones so anything that has gemstones, bracelets and necklaces I am immediately drawn towards. I don't really wear the necklace, I actually made it out of specific gemstones I picked out. Each gemstone has a meaning to me and it's comforting to always have it near. I don't wear it because it's more of a private thing, if I were to wear I wouldn't show it sort of thing.

Oh gosh, I love all the gemstones you mention. If it were up to me I would wear tons of gemstones bracelets stacked on both arms, although I don't know how comfortable this would be...

Barleywine

I occasionally read at parties (but never did a "themed" party), and I just wear what I came in. In a more planned setting, I like using candles and an essential oil diffuser (personally I prefer incense but it irritates some people), a large quartz crystal for amplifying and harmonizing the energy of the reading, and a small pewter bell that I ring three times for clearing and to focus attention. Does any of this "work?" Maybe, but I mainly see it as part of the "theater" of reading for others. I don't own any "fortune-teller" costumes, since I suspect any of the male ones would make me look like a stage magician. I haven't found quite the right spread cloth yet to complete the setting.