42-card spread for World Tarot/Towel Day

nisaba

It's that time of year again, the time for celebrating both Tarot and Douglas Adams, his fantastic books, and the unique charge he gave to the number forty-two. So here is my forty-two-card-spread for the day, a day late because I quite literally did not have a moment by myself yesterday until very late at night.

The spread looks like this, and fits nicely on a Towel (I tend to use a large beach towel!)

I decided to use a mini-deck for convenience, and put my hand into the bag in which I keep my mini-decks. I pulled out the Fournier Marseille, which excluding oddities like the Tiny Tarot and the Tarot Nova (earring size), is the smallest deck I have, making it doubly convenient for such a large spread.

And now we begin ...

Row One, the bottom row is the Big Bang Burger Bar, briefly referred to in the volume called "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe". The Big Bang Burger Bar is a tourist-trap at the very instant of creation. These seven cards, when viewed and interpreted together, will give you an overview or "story" of the fundamentals of the place, person (or even the celebratory day) that you are reading for.

I pulled XIII (untitled in this deck), L'Etoile, Le Mat, the Nine Coins, the Six Cups, the Five Cups and the Seven Swords.

Death was how I felt last night, with a wave of nausea after eating nothing but food prepared by a friend yesterday. L'Etoile was the moment, overnight, when I felt I might just survive. Le Mat was me just picking up and getting on with today, walking away from Towel and Tarot Day with a blitheness entirely unwarranted by the circumstances of a bad night. The Nine Coins, Six Cups and Five Cups illustrate, possibly, an increasing sense of being unwell today as time passes (we'll see), and the Seven Swords scolds me for deceiving myself that I can function normally today. Too bad - I have to. I'm going to a seminar tonight that I have no intention of missing.

So that's where we stand.

Row Two symbolise "Slartibartfast's Favourite Fijords". Slartibartfast was an elderly man whom promotion had passed by, whom in the scale of planet-creation was a menial - he only ever got to do the Crinkly Bits around the edges of continents. These seven cards, read together, tell you what has been firm and reliable forever in the situation, but what may one day start to crumble.

The Six Coins, le Roy de Baton, le Roy de deniers, Le Monde, the Seven Wands, Le Bateleur, the Eight Coins.

The first card reminds me of that classic Tennissee Williams line "I have always relied on the kindness of strangers". Is it the generosity I have received from others in the past that I no longer need - or am I going to lose my new-found capacity to be generous to others? The two Kings tell me that short-lived, also, will be my arrogance, my air of assurance, my certainty about - well - everything. I look forward to its loss with some trepidation. Le Monde - dance. Well, I'm not best equipped to dance, right at this moment. :) The Seven Wands - barriers will also fall, and the Magician again tells me that some of the "tricks" I use to get by will stop serving me. Lastly the Eight Coins: will I stop seeing myself as an apprentice?

Row Three symbolises Deep Thought. Long ago, a computer of this name was devised by a bunch of confused toga-wearing philosophers to arrive at the answer to Question, the Great Question, the Question of the Meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything. The answer, of course, was 42. This row, read together, symbolises whatever needs your deep and profound thought, now and in the future.

The Five Swords, the Chariot, the Eight Wands, the Cavalier de Baton, the Four Coins, the Ten Coins, and the Reyne d'Epee.

Hmmm. I shall have to think deeply about these.

Row Four is Marvin the Paranoid Android. Marvin is a man-shaped robot with a "brain the size of a planet" and sharp pains through all the diodes down his left side. Humans treat him badly, in one case actually leaving him in the basement of an office block to park cars for six trillion years. Marvin's Row illustrates those issues about which you feel powerless, and which make you actually feel worse than you need to, despite any evident positivity in the cards.

The Two Swords, the Ace Wands, the Two Wands, the Valet de Baton, the valet de Coupe, the Eight Cups, the Two Coins. It's made a nice slide of colours from blue, to green to peach to yellow.

The Twos of Wands and Swords seem to be about my own inner saboteur, that dark little voice preaching failure and futility at me. They back themselves up with the Two Coins, my fairly low income and inability to provide for myself the treats I would really like. The Ace Wands .... well, I've always had problems with ambition - I just haven't ever had any. I blame my genes, myself. The two Valets ... well, I shudder to think that any immaturity could be a part of MY bag o'tricks! And the Seven Cups is never good - Making choices is all fine and good in THEORY, but it's a mighty risky business when you don't really know what the Cups really hold.

Row Five is the Improbability Drive. These cards show you what is supremely unlikely, and therefore almost certain to happen. If I can segue from one great master to another, Terry Pratchett described the force powering the spaceship with the Improbability Drive very well when he said "research wizards have ascertained that one in a million chances pay off nine times out of ten." These cards express that which is most incredible and improbable in the situation which will therefore come to pass.

The Roy d'Epee. My huge intellect. I will be recognised as a genius and a mentor by the whole of the world. The Seven Coins. I won't actually have to work very hard. I can just hang around, and the fruits of everybody else's labour will just drop into my lap <grin>. Seven Wands. I'll -er- break through all the land-speed records and knock over all barriers in my way? The Ace Cups. It's a BIG cup. Everybody loves me. The Ten Swords. Ten's a positive number, yes? The Four Swords. FINALLY everyone will leave me alone and stop hassling me! It's the Greta Garbo or Matchbox Twenty card. And lastly, the Five Wands. It's all an elaborate dance, isn't it? I will dance fiercely, and people will fall beneath my baton.

Row Six, the top row, is the Dolphin's Row. Man feels he is smarter than dolphins because he discovered fire, the internal combustion engine, guns, pollution, and digital watches. Dolphins feel they are smarter than man for *exactly* the same reasons. They are about play, and when the earth was about to detonate, they all left, leaving behind a message which read "So long, and thanks for all the fish". Dolphins, and the Dolphin row, are all about having fun and avoiding catastrophe. These cards tell you what to enjoy and what to run like hell from, depending on whether they are "positives" or "negatives".

So the Four Wands enjoy your home. The Valet Deniers. Be playful with money (oh goody, eBay, here I come!). The Six Wands, Hold your head up high, and strut. Easy - I do that now. The Ten Wands - it's a drag. Dolphins don't like drags. I'll take this as permission not to do any laundry today. Six Swords - travel by water. In fact, I live by water, and I had planned to leave the house later. Spooky, how accurate these Tarot cards are! Five Coins. Ignore my poverty, have fun in life anyway. And the Four Cups: thank the Gods you have a nice stable, comfortable emotional life! Gone are all the dramas! Others may thing this is boring, but I really, really treasure it.

So there it is for another year. A spread with room for the serious stuff and for plenty of humour.