occultist seeks clarification

cartarum

i am a scorpio with the moon in gemini. i have been researching the occult for awhile now, but astrology is not one of my strong points. i need some clarification please.

are the planets positions in the zodiac calculated from earths perspective or the suns?

why hasent modern astrology added earth to the celestial bodies?

could the various moons around the planets in our solar system help fine tune our understanding of the ruling planets?

what is the dragons node?

what would be the astrological significance if a supernova occured
on one of the stars in the zodiac? say, the scorpions stinger?

HOLMES

ah i can help a tiny bit

the planets postions energy is calcuated by their influence upon the earth.

they substitued either the moon, or the planet saturn to the equation for since the influences are focused upon the earth.

in theory i would say yes, it could but most likely in a minimal (but sometimes the minimal can mean so much )(in regards to the moons around the planets)

alas i don' t know what the dragon node is,

i do know that if super nova affected one of the main planets there would be a mass change upon earth if astrology is to work,
and it does for we are all one even stars and us.

isthmus nekoi

are the planets positions in the zodiac calculated from earths perspective or the suns?

earth

why hasent modern astrology added earth to the celestial bodies?

I think b/c it is from the earth's perspective.

could the various moons around the planets in our solar system help fine tune our understanding of the ruling planets?

Hm. That's an interesting question, never thought of that.

what is the dragons node?

Are you refering to the north and south node? I'm not sure how these are calculated but they are related to one's calling in life, karma, fate etc.

Another good question - I'm not sure what this would portend on a predictive level. Hopefully someone more knowledgable can answer this!

dadsnook2000

A few more "sort-of-replies"

Well, it may be possible to spread some more shadows on these questions.

IS THE EARTH USED?
In any horoscope, the earth is the center of the chart and all of the astrological bodies are positioned relative to earth. There is, however, a heliocentric view (as if the Sun were at the center of the chart) type of chart that is rarely cast and used -- in these Sun centric charts the earth is shown along with the other planets.

MULTIPLE MOONS IN USE?
Galileo put an early telescope (not actually invented by him) to great use and not only observed for the first time the moons of Jupiter but went on to construct an ephemerides for the primary moons that could be used to roughly calculate longitude without having to rely on a chonometer. While latitude had always been easy to determine, longitude requires (generally) an accurate time in addition to observation. If you need to know the details, just e-mail me or ask here. HOWEVER, with that long-standing knowledge of Jupiter's moons (and other moons on other planets) nobody has ever postulated astrological meanings for any moons other than earth's on moon.

DRAGONS!
The Dragon's Head and Dragon's Tail refer to the north and south points of the Moon's orbit where it crosses the Earth-Sun plane. The moon in its orbital motion moves northward upon crossing the North Node (or Dragon's Head) point -- appearing to gain more elevation in the night sky. The opposite is true when the Moon crosses the South Node (Dragon's Tail) point where it appears to lose height in the sky for the next half of its lunar cycle. Luna and Solar eclipses can occur at/near the Nodes when the Moon aligns with the Sun and Earth as it crosses a node.

BRIGHT LIGHTS IN THE SKY
A terrific Super Nova was viewed and recorded by several cultures around the world about 700 BC. Other than a lot of writing not much was recorded about it having any effects on the people of Earth. A decade or so ago there was another that was hardly noticed in the press and less noted as having any effect of an astrological nature. Although certain stars are claimed to have specific effects upon people who are born with that start rising or culminating, nobody seems to claimed anything different about Super Novas.

Hope this helps. Dave.

Minderwiz

Some good replies above, which I can't really improve on.

The only additional comment I'd make relates to Supernovae. I think one problem with their significance is not only that they are rare but also they are non-repeatable. We have learned a lot about the Astrological significance of, say, Jupiter, because it follows a regular cycle and we can observe it in every sign and every aspect to other planets. If Star A blows up it's a one off.

To add just a little refinement - some fixed stars have been used in Astrology for a long time and do have Astrological meanings - thus Regulus and Spica have traditionally been regarded as benefic stars and Algol has traditionally been regarded as a malefic star. - I think that if, say Spica went supernova this might well be regarded as Astrologically, a catastrophic event.

That being said, supernova could still be regarded as being omens - and read as good or bad - though I think this moves out of Astrology.

cartarum

thankyou

those are great replies. just what i was looking for.

starsongs

I just have one comment to add regarding the Earth. We most often use the geocentric (or Earth) perspective (as dadsnook mentions)

Your initial question, cartarum, is why the Earth has not been added to celestial bodies by Modern Astrologers. It has been added and is used by some astrologers who also are using geocentric coordinates.

Its position is always directly opposite the Sun. The Earth is said (by those that use it in interprtetations) to signify our Dharma, or earthly duties or job of an incarnation; where and how we are to best serve as citizens of the Earth. Its fun to play around with the concept...

You pose some interesting questions. I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts, particularly on supernovas! :D

starsongs