Modern Spellcaster's Tarot Delayed Until September 18th

Telspepper

I agree with Theta Choir

I do wish the book had gone into more detail with the symbolism.
An expanded book would be ideal. You can, of course, look up all the meanings but Id rather have an expanded book. Okay, I admit it, I'm a little lazy. In my defense it would be a lot to look up.
Maybe the author wanted us to give our own meaning to the symbols instead of telling us what to think. As a tarot reader I like to do that anyway and appreciate the authors ideas for a deeper understanding or a disagreement.
I did like the other info included in the book. The spreads were good and some nice and simple, lets you jump right in with the new deck.
What is your take of the lotus in The Chariot?

Tanga

I do wish the book had gone into more detail with the symbolism.
An expanded book would be ideal. You can, of course, look up all the meanings but Id rather have an expanded book. Okay, I admit it, I'm a little lazy. In my defense it would be a lot to look up.
Maybe the author wanted us to give our own meaning to the symbols instead of telling us what to think. As a tarot reader I like to do that anyway and appreciate the authors ideas for a deeper understanding or a disagreement.
I did like the other info included in the book. The spreads were good and some nice and simple, lets you jump right in with the new deck.
What is your take of the lotus in The Chariot?

Maybe the artist - couldn't quite manage an expanded version. It is a huge amount of work to cough that
all up.
I also would prefer all the information presented bang with the deck to start with. :)
I can't comment on The Chariot... haven't seen that card and don't have the deck yet. :)
You could post a photo here?

A lotus "traditionally" represents a persons growth from the base to the sublime (even up the Chakras - if you like)... as the roots are in muddy murky water, and the wonderful flower is on the waters surface on top.

"In Buddhist symbolism the lotus is symbolic of purity of the body, speech, and mind as while rooted in the mud, its flowers blossom on long stalks as if floating above the muddy waters of attachment and desire. It is also symbolic of detachment as drops of water easily slide off its petals."

CharlotteK

"In Buddhist symbolism the lotus is symbolic of purity of the body, speech, and mind as while rooted in the mud, its flowers blossom on long stalks as if floating above the muddy waters of attachment and desire. It is also symbolic of detachment as drops of water easily slide off its petals."

I like Thich Nhat Hanh's take on this in "No Mud, No Lotus" - he says the lotus flower is a symbol of happiness, but the mud is like our suffering - and without suffering, there's no happiness. So no mud = no lotus :)

Barleywine

I like Thich Nhat Hanh's take on this in "No Mud, No Lotus" - he says the lotus flower is a symbol of happiness, but the mud is like our suffering - and without suffering, there's no happiness. So no mud = no lotus :)

This is an interesting confirmation of Cancer as the sign associated with the Chariot. In astrology, Cancer occupies the bottom of the "natural" (Aries-rising) chart, giving it an association with the "deepest" part of the personality, or the "root of the Self." It sits at the lower terminus of the "Power Axis" (4th House/10th House polarity), an expression of "where one is coming from" (the nurturing "mud") as opposed to "where one is going" (the ultimate "flowering"). The Golden Dawn said of the Chariot: "Great success after struggle."

Barleywine

Apropos to nothing, does the green Empress make anyone else think of a "female Hulk," counterpart to the old Marvel comics super-hero? (I know the esoteric connection of the color green to the Empress, of course, I'm just getting a bit "juiced" on my morning caffeine :)). But in truth, it's the very first thing I thought when I saw the box yesterday.

Tanga

"The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials" - Chinese proverb.

Apropos to nothing, does the green Empress make anyone else think of a "female Hulk," counterpart to the old Marvel comics super-hero? (I know the esoteric connection of the color green to the Empress, of course, I'm just getting a bit "juiced" on my morning caffeine :)). But in truth, it's the very first thing I thought when I saw the box yesterday.

Yes. And there is a She-Hulk in Marvel :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She-Hulk

Le Fanu

For those who already have this, are the cards borderless (apart from a strip for the title at the bottom) like in the pictures?

MoonGypsy

For those who already have this, are the cards borderless (apart from a strip for the title at the bottom) like in the pictures?

Hi LF! :) Barleywine mentioned in Post 45 that the deck is borderless. :)

i am still on the fence...not sure if i am won over by this deck...

Here is an unboxing youtube video by RavenSong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_krLH0dqEo

Disa

I finally had a chance to look at every card. I quite like this deck. While some cards do seem like fantasy, some remind me so much of the Druidcraft. The artwork is beautiful. The cards seem to flow together. I like the people in the deck and their faces, except the High Priestess doesn't really have a face, her face more resembles an obsidian scrying mirror to me? I'm so happy they are borderless, and the little titles are not obtrusive to me.

Le Fanu

Hi LF! :) Barleywine mentioned in Post 45 that the deck is borderless. :)

i am still on the fence...not sure if i am won over by this deck...

Here is an unboxing youtube video by RavenSong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_krLH0dqEo
Thanks for that. I agree with RavenSong on the World card, but overall, I like the look of it. I like the colours and borderless and unintrusive titles. As it's in stock at the Book Depository, I bought it.. Some interesting takes on the cards there.