Question about Robin Wood editions?

EricVolk

Hello,
I received a Robin Wood Deck and saw that it was printed in China. Then when I was on ebay I saw there was an edition printed in USA, i really enjoy the deck and was wondering if there was any difference between the two editions?
Thanks!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Hedera

Bumping this, because I'm curious about the current printing / cardstock on the Robin Wood!

It's probably my most used workhorse deck, one I come back to time and time again.
So much so, that the surface of the cards is beginning to wear off.

My current copy (which I traded for with LeFanu, after my dog in her puppy days ate parts of the cards of my first one.... which makes it around 12 years ago, yikes!) is nice and matte.
I don't have the box anymore, so I have no idea where it was printed.

But I've heard about the cardstock having been changed to one of those horribly slick and plasticky ones, which I absolutely cannot stand!

Does anyone know what the current cardstock is like?
Have they gone back to matte, or is it still plasticky?
Is the cardstock different in the different language editions, like Spanish?

If anyone has an older, matte copy to trade, that would be wonderful. :)

Morwenna

I don't know about current cardstock; I have one of the first ones. The printing is lovely. I saw one of the ones printed somewhere else, China maybe, I don't remember, but the printing isn't as clear. That was some years ago though.

cynthea

Robin Wood editions-Llewellyn pre 2007

I bought mine used. It is made by Llewellyn. LWB states 1995, but box states 1991 copyright, Printed in USA. The LWB does not have any numbers listed for edition. ISBN: 0-87542-874-0. Ten numbers indicate before 2007,when ISBN changed to 13 numbers. The cards are thick, very low gloss, some might state matte, but not like my vintage Rider decks.This has a subtle finish,very nice. I am not fond of most new glossy decks. I just checked my Wizards Tarot because I love it, and just realized it is not glossy! It is also Llewellyn Printed in USA but the cardstock is thinner than the Robin Wood... also a newer deck. The finish is similar. Amazon new edition
is made by Llewellyn, Printed in USA. Mine opens on side, not sure about new boxes.

Morwenna

Added info: my Robin Wood box was a typical tuck box (long since disintegrated). The next printings, the ones not so clear, were chest-type boxes.

Le Fanu

Hedera, the box from that one was one of the chest-type boxes. I got that copy from Grizabella almost 10 years ago. I always assumed it was an earlier printing. I didn't bond with the deck but I remember being struck by the lovely, smooth, tactile cardstock.

Hedera

Thank you everyone!

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a nice, older copy in a trade then; plenty of people seem to dislike it immensely, so it shouldn't be that hard to find... ;)

staticfuzz

I love my Robin Wood Tarot, it was the first one I ever picked out, when I was 13, and one of the very few (maybe even the only?) I bought from a store rather than from the internet.

I just checked mine, it's a chest-style box, and the booklet said it is the 11th printing, from 2002, made in USA. Does anyone know if I ordered a new one off Book Depository or Amazon right now if it would be different cardstock? Or of the brand new ones selling now, can anyone make comparisons between the cardstock and other decks' cardstocks? The deck I have now is so easy to shuffle, I love it.