Sun, Mercury in Taurus (6th)
Moon in Aquarius (3d)
Venus, Mars in Cancer (8th)
Jupiter in Virgo (10th)
Saturn in Leo (9th)
Lot of Fortune: Pisces
Lot of Spirit (roughly): Virgo
Lot of Exaltation: Pisces

Sect Lord: Moon (Sun below Horizon),so night time.
Moon in Aquarius: Trigon Lords in Order: Mercury,Saturn, Jupiter.

first part of life: ruled by Mercury.In Tarus, Not in its own triangle In natal 6th, Not good at all.

Second Part of Life: ruled by Saturn. In natal 9th (good house) Leo (so in detriment). Opposed by sect Lord Moon.

Supporting Lord: Jupiter in Virgo (10th). Not in its own trigon. But angular.

I would imagine the second part of life would be better for this native.

Lot of Fortune in the natal 4th. Very good. Lord in natal 10th and 7th from Fortune. Excellent placing. His cup brimmeth over.

Likewise Lord of Exaltation. A truly royal chart.

Place of prosperity == 11th from Fortune = Cancer, natal 8th.Not great, But this has Venus in it, sextile Mars,.

Overall, I'd say the strong angular Fortune and Lord of Fortune would overpower anything else.

Valens says
"
Since this was a night birth, the rulers, Saturn and Mercury, of the triangle [Gemini Libra Aquarius] just preceded angles [MC Ascendant]. Therefore he had many ups and downs in his early years and lived in debt, although the basis [of the nativity] was good with respect to parents. Later he got an inheritance and improved his means by profitable enterprises, and he became ambitious, dominant, and munificent. He was popular with the masses and a friend of kings and governors. He supplied temples and public works and gained perpetual remembrance.

The Lot of Fortune and the exaltation were found in Pisces, and its ruler,Jupiter, was at MC"

Minderwiz

As The Lot is in Pisces, it's ruled by Jupiter (Zeus) , who not only is placed in the MC but also rules the Ascendant. It could have been slightly better, it could have been a day chart, but this is still exceptional. Zeus is with the Lot of Spirit in the tenth and both are ruled by Mercury (Hermes).

Although Venus (Aphrodite) is placed in the eight that does have connections with inheritiance and Aphrodite is the benefic of Sect and trines the Lot from Cancer and sextiles Daimon and Zeus, so it's not as averse as might initially seem to be the case.

The eighth also pairs with the second, which in this case is the place of acquisition. Saturn (Kronos) is the out of sect malefic, so expect trouble at some point in the future.

RohanMenon

Thanks Minderwiz

for the extended analysis.
Lesson: I need to consider aspects more. As you point out, this can overcome cadency etc.

Minderwiz

I've not forgotten your earlier questions. Yes, Valens does profect the Lot of Fortune and the Lot of Spirit; most notably in the nativity of the dancer. Profecting these can give yous some idea of the context of the coming year. You should also look at the profections for twelve years ago; when the same chart would have been in effect. Thinking back to what happened then can give a guide to the forthcoming year.

But, as Valens' analysis of the dancer shows, chance and directed mind don't have to work out in exactly the same way. Whilst there is a significant level of determinism, Valens, like most of his contempories, recognises that the gods might react differently. in the same circumstances - things are never exactly the same. The native (with the Astrologer's advice and his own personal daimon) must learn from experience and use that to address familiar circumstances with a new perspective.

RohanMenon

. Profecting these can give yous some idea of the context of the coming year. You should also look at the profections for twelve years ago; when the same chart would have been in effect. Thinking back to what happened then can give a guide to the forthcoming year.

This is good advice. I'll have a go at profecting the Ascendant, Sect Lord, and the two lots (fortune and spirit).
Thanks!

RohanMenon

Valens Horoscope # 10

(wow 10 examples for one technique! Modern writers should learn from Valens)

Ascendant: Sagittarius
Sun, Mercury: Scorpio (12th)
Moon: Aries (5th)
Venus in Sagittarius(1st)
Mars in Leo (9th)
Jupiter in Pisces (4th)
Saturn in Virgo (10th)

Lot of Fortune: Taurus (6th)
Lot of Sprit: Cancer (8th), roughly by calculation
Lot of Exaltation: Leo (9th), roughly , by calculation

Sect Lord: Sun. Since day chart. The Sun is in the East, in Scorpio, with Sagittarius rising. So morning. Interestingly the Moon is also in the sky and hasn't set.

Therefore trigon lords of Sun in Scorpio, in order: Venus, Mars Moon

First part of life: Ruled by Venus. In the First Place, Not in its own triangle. Angular.
Second part of life: Ruled by Mars in Leo (detriment, 9th place) in his own triangle, cadent
Third triplicity lord: Moon. in Aries. natal 5th. Succedent. Not in its own triangle.

i think the first part of life is better for this person, though the 2nd part isn't bad either

Lot of Fortune is in the 6th, which isn't very good. But it is in Taurus, with Venus in Sagittarius, the ascendant, and sextiled by Jupiter, though squared by Mars, and trined by Saturn.

The 11th from Fortune is Pisces with Jupiter in its own domicile, and Jupiter is also the ascendant lord. Very very good.

Valens says

"Even when he was a child, the nativity inherited great property. The Place of Accomplishment was in Pisces, with Jupiter in its own house. Venus, the co-ruler of the triangle, the Lot of Fortune, and the exaltation, was exactly in the Ascendant"

How is the Lord of the Exaltation in the Ascendant? Sun is in Scorpio and Aries 19 is far away. The only way this can happen is if Valens is calculating the Exaltation from the Moon. That doesn't make any sense, since he is looking at the triangle of the Sun!

Must have something to do with both Moon and Sun being in the sky. Still, he doesn't explain why he chose the Moon to calculate exaltation from. (or if he did, I missed it)

Minderwiz

There seems to be some doubt about this chart, according to Greek Horoscopes, so I'll do some checking. According to Rob Hand in his introduction to Valens Book III, there are several sections where the copying and editing of the work is haphazard, with some bits put in in inappropriate places and bits either missing or clearly miscopied (in that impossible positions are sometimes given). So this might be due to several possible reasons.

RohanMenon

Thanks Minderwiz

Added "Greek Horoscopes" to my "to acquire" book list!

RohanMenon

Valens Horoscope # 11

ASC = Libra
Sun, Mercury in Capricorn (4th)
Moon, Saturn in Sagittarius (3d)
Jupiter in Cancer (10th)
Mars in Virgo (12th)
Venus in Aquarius (5th)
Lot of Fortune in Scorpio (2nd)
Lot of Spirit (by rough calculation) in the 12th Virgo
Lot of Exaltation (by rough calculation) the 6th, Pisces.

Night birth since Sun is in the 4th.
So Sect Lord is the Moon.
Moon in Sagittarius,so in order, the Trigon Lords are Jupiter, Sun, Saturn
First part of Life ruled by Jupiter. Exalted in Cancer. in 10th (angular). In his own trigon.
Aspects:
Opposed by Sun and Mercury (from Capricorn)
Sextiled by Mars in Virgo.
very good.

Second Part of Life ruled by Sun. Not in his own triangle. Angular. Aspects: Opposition by Jupiter. Trined by Mars from Virgo.

"Supporting" Trigon Lord is Saturn: in Sagittiarus (3d). In his own trigon. cadent. Squared by Mars.

The first part of life is better than the second.

Lot of Fortune in Scorpio (2nd) with Lord Mars in Virgo (natal 12th), so sextiled by Lord. Not *very* good, but decent.

Lot of Spirit is in the 12th natally (not good!), 11th from Fortune (very good)
Lot of Exaltation is in the 6th natally (not good!) but 5th from Fortune (good)

Place of Prosperity = 11th from Fortune = natal 12th = Virgo. Has Mars (Lord of Fortune) in it. Trined by Lord Mercury in Capricorn. Squared by Mars. Hmm Mars *and* Saturn. But otoh, Mars *is* the Lord of Fortune.

Overall, I'd judge the horoscope to be reasonably eminent, with some kind of 'fall' in the 2nd part of life. But Place of Prosperity is quite strong, so I imagine he'll survive it.

Valens says

"The rulers [Jupiter Sun] of the triangle [of the Sun] were found at angles, but in opposition [MC IC]. Therefore the nativity, though well provided for and prosperous at first, was later found to be exiled and needy because of burning and plunder. The ruler of the Lot of Fortune, Mars, was found in the Place of Accomplishment, but preceding an angle [Ascendant] and in aspect with Saturn [square]"

Hmm so I got the 'fall in second part of life' right, but this seems to be one of those horoscopes where the cadency in the 12th overcomes Mars being Lord of Fortune and in the place of prosperity.

Not sure I *could* have caught that aspect with my present knowledge. That said,

Lesson Learned = When Mars *and* Saturn occupy/aspect a sign, expect harsh circumstances with respect to the corresponding house.

RohanMenon

Valens Horoscope #12

ASC Taurus
Sun, Venus in Taurus (1st)
Moon in Aquarius (10th)
Mercury, Mars in Gemini (2nd)
Jupiter in Libra (6th)
Saturn in Cancer

It is hard to tell from the chart whether the Sun is above the horizon or not - since the Ascendant and Sun degrees are not given, only the sign - whether it is a day chart or night chart. Valens seems to be using the Sun as sect lord, so

Sect Lord: Sun in the 1st (angular), not in its own trigon. Aspects. Square Moon. Sextile Jupiter
Trigon Lords: Venus, Moon, Mars in that order.
1st part of life: Ruled by Venus in Taurus 1st house. So in domicile, in its own triangle, *and* angular. Conjunct Sun (the sect lord), squared by the Moon,Sextile saturn Very good.
2nd part of life: Ruled by the Moon. In the 10th, angular. Aspects: Opposed by Saturn, Squared by Venus and Sun, Trined by Mercury and Mars.
Supporting Lord Mars in 2nd, Gemini, not in its own trigon, succedent.
1st part of life seems better.

Lot of Fortune in Aquarius(10th) with the Moon.
Lot of Spirit not given, but by sign based calculation should be in the 4th (Leo), opposite Fortune.
Place of prosperity = 11th from 10th = natal 8th Sagittarius (not so good), Lord Jupiter in natal 6th, 9th from the Lot

ok i can't get a feel for this chart. If Valens hadn't placed this in a list of eminent nativities, I wouldn't think this is an eminent nativity at all. Except for Venus and Sun in Taurus and the 1st, there is nothing that I see hat inclines this nativity to eminence.

Valens says
"In his first years, the native had great political prestige, affairs, and positions of trust. The rulers [Venus Moon] of the triangle [Taurus Virgo Capricorn] happened to be at angles [Ascendant, MC]. Later his livelihood was ruined and he became a vagabond. Mars and Mercury were in opposition to the Place of Accomplishment and the rulers [Saturn Jupiter] of the Lot and of the lace of Accomplishment preceded angles [IC Descendant]"