Stuffed and loved!

Padma

I had a teddy, and eventually he had no fur left! He fell apart from being so loved. I think he was blue, if I recall. I also had a corduroy from that my mom made - and I still have him. I have a few bunnies, since I collected them for a while. My fave is Matilda, because she feels just like holding a real baby (right size and a big butt, haha!)

Loved the pics and the stories shared here :heart:

Mi-Shell

What a nice topic :)

I do remember when and where Foxy came from. I was eight when I saw him in a toy store, and I immediately started saving my allowance and chore money. I was obsessed for months (he was rather expensive) and was always asking to visit him at the toy store. Then I got him for my birthday :party: Since I was older when I got him, he escaped the worst ravages of childhood love, but he was definitely loved, carried around, and slept with for many years. He's the one animal from my childhood that regularly appears in my dreams.

Oooh! Laura, I know, why your Foxy is so special!
He is a Steiff Animal!!!!
He is even in my collectors catalogue from 1995 and listed as being from 1963 and in good condition now worth at least 200 Euro$
I have several of his Steiff brothers and sisters in my Steiff Animal collection.
They all are saying "Hello!!!!" to Foxy :)

gregory

Here are Chutney and the frogs (and Stubby the pig (Chutney's friend).

I'll upload Izzy tomorrow.

Padma

Here are Chutney and the frogs (and Stubby the pig (Chutney's friend).

I'll upload Izzy tomorrow.

Chutney looks like a JellyCat plushy :) They make lovely plushies - so soft! And so sweet!

I think I have a Steiff tiger. I am not sure. Any tags or ear button or whatever he may have had is long gone. He'd have been from 1963 or so. He is very threadbare...and I still love him! He sits on my altar these days. I will try to post a pic tomorrow. He is made of some stiff, coarse fake fur hair, and feels like he has rough sawdust inside. He was soft when his plush was longer!

@Laura, that is pretty cool that your fox is Steiff! I thought so when I saw his pic. They made very realistic toys, for the times!

Padma

I've just read that the Steiff from that era may have been made from mohair. Tiger definitely has the Steiff face (eyes/nose). He was given to me by a shop keeper when I was a young child, as apparently I loved him, and mom wouldn't buy him for me. The shop keeper thought I was sweet, and so let me have Tiger :heart:

Poor thing - his wire armature is poking out of his toes, and his whiskers have shriveled away...

Attachments

• Tiger.jpg
    Tiger.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 150

Mi-Shell

I had quite a few - upwards of 40 different Steiff Animals when I was little.
They all had names and they all had to have a bow, because they were citizens of "Schleiflerland" (Bow Country) and were presided over by a mighty Queen:
Hupferlesia Egspoon, A Rabbit, who's story I will tell.

Sadly I lost almost all my Animal confidants and friends, when I was taken away from my Father, who refused to have me christianized. I was 9 years old.
I ended up n that horrrrrible orphanage where I had no personal belongings and my name was changed; but anyway, we children were never called by our names, just by a number.
I have at other threads posted about the horror and abuse there, so I will not go into too much of that here now.

After several of my infected welts (from the beatings) ended up giving me a severe bout of endocarditis I was released out of the hospital back to my mother.
She still had my Rabbit and there were 4 others, but Petzy and all my other Bears were not there any more :(
Well, by that time I was 13 and I had other things in mind.....
But I kept having dreams.
Dreams of finding them all again! And then, loosing them all over.:(
I sometimes woke up with tears in my eyes.
The years went by. I found a few Steiff Animals in the garbage on garbage day and I cleaned them up and kept them.
Then, at 26, I bought myself a small Steiff Monkey at the Flea Market as the last item of my outfit for my VW Camper and, shipping that, my home on wheels to Wilmington, USA, I left Europe for good......

That Monkey became the mascot for our archaeological excavation at the Maya ruins of Kabah in Yukatan, Mexico, where I worked as a nurse and field health care officer.

Forward 10 years and a few VW busses and Peter and me settled in Canada.........
But still, occasionally I had "the dream"
So, when we had our brand spanking new, crooked but self- build log home, I decided to put the dream to rest by starting to collect Steiff Animals again.
Peter's mom was an enthusiastic assistant in that endeavor and for Solstices and anniversaries there always was a little treasure rescued from a charity sale or Flea market for me, nicely wrapped up with a sticker stating:"is freshly washed"
Now they all reside in 3 glass fronted cupboards and somehow there are others that always escape from there and sit on the table or in the flower pot or at my desk......

gregory

Chutney looks like a JellyCat plushy :) They make lovely plushies - so soft! And so sweet!
He is. A gift from a dear friend here, after my actual cat had to be put down. According to his tag, he is called Pickle. I don't think so. Chutney is much more HIM.

Izzy is very old, and might be valuable, I suppose - but I won't be finding out any time soon !

Padma

Mi-Shell, I am so sorry that those terrible things happened to you :heart:

But I am really happy that little Steiff friends find their way to your cabin, to bring you joy again :love:

Padma

He is. A gift from a dear friend here, after my actual cat had to be put down. According to his tag, he is called Pickle. I don't think so. Chutney is much more HIM.

Izzy is very old, and might be valuable, I suppose - but I won't be finding out any time soon !

They (JellyCats) do look very distinctive. He must be a treasure to cuddle, were you ever so inclined. So soft! And what a nice gift from your friend!

I agree - Chutney is a far better name!

Mi-Shell

Sex Change????

Padma, we may neeeeed a few more pictures from Tiger, because here in my
"all soooo very wise and smart catalogue"
Tiger loooooks like the baby Lion from the Steiff Lion family :bugeyed: