Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Live Tarot Readings Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive

Tripod of Self-Discovery Spread

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Spreads

Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Tripod of Self-Discovery Spread

Here's something new I created after reading Cherry Gilchrist's TdM book. It's loosely based on the Celtic triquetra, showing the union of Mind, Body and Spirit, a kind of Venn diagram also related to the broader "Tripod of Life" concept. I suggest that, if you decide to try it out, you use only a single rank of cards - all Trumps, all Courts or all Pips (although "Courts + Pips" may be more useful) - and focus on a single area of life, perhaps spiritual, psychological, inspirational or practical, displayed in seven qualities. I haven't tried it out yet, but will probably aim for self-understanding with it rather than prediction. Note that the cards can be laid out in any order, there is no fixed sequence to this one.

https://docelticjewelry.com/celtic-symbols-meanings/
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Tripod of Self-Discovery Spread.pdf (196.5 KB, 103 views)
Top   #1
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Update Spread with Instructions

I updated the spread to include detailed guidance for interpretation, mainly an expansion of my preliminary notes above.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Tripod of Self-Discovery Spread Updated.pdf (208.3 KB, 87 views)
Top   #2
Citizen

Nemia 
Citizen

Thank you, that's a very substantial spread. The shape looks as though the Pythagorean Tetractys and the Tree of Life had contributed a share - one brought the triangular shape, the other Daath :-) and it looks three-dimensional.

I will try this spread, and I think it will work very well with permutations. The connection between elemental and psychological categories always looks so right to me, and how clever to use a Celtic element. (I teach insular art and the meeting between Celtic and Mediterranean traditions fascinates me.)
Top   #3
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemia View Post
Thank you, that's a very substantial spread. The shape looks as though the Pythagorean Tetractys and the Tree of Life had contributed a share - one brought the triangular shape, the other Daath :-) and it looks three-dimensional.

I will try this spread, and I think it will work very well with permutations. The connection between elemental and psychological categories always looks so right to me, and how clever to use a Celtic element. (I teach insular art and the meeting between Celtic and Mediterranean traditions fascinates me.)
Thanks! I owe the inspiration to Cherry Gilchrist (in Tarot Triumphs) for suggesting that the three-ring emblem might be a jumping-off place for further exploration. And I also thank Lee for pointing me at the book.
Top   #4
Citizen

Hemera 
Citizen

Thank you Barleywine. I added this one to the Tarot Spreads Index (post #5).
Top   #5
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

A Sample Layout

Here's a visual example of one way to lay out this spread, using the Tabula Mundi Colores Arcus deck. I'm not providing this for interpretation and comment since how I interpret these cards for the purpose of my own self-discovery is a private matter.

The stones you see on the spread cloth are painted "planetary" stones from my geomancy set - Sun and Moon demarcating the twin vectors of Higher Purpose (Spirit), Mercury as the "funnel" for Spirit into Mind, Mars and Saturn bounding the vector of Ambition (Desire), Venus and Jupiter delimiting the vector of Inspiration (Feeling).

I will say that the Devil as Capricorn is a good fit for the Mars-Saturn vector of Ambition and the Empress as Venus is a good fit for the Venus-Jupiter vector of Inspiration. The four cards above are all Fire cards, and the Emperor links the Fire quaternary of "Spirit + Mind" to the "Body" triplet through the central Fire card Aeon/Judgement, bracketed by two "friendly" Earth cards. This is a well-balanced picture that is almost perfectly integrated elementally.
Attached Images

Top   #6
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Elder Jabberwock

I updated the spread again to add planetary associations.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Tripod of Self-Discovery Spread New Astro Update.pdf (218.4 KB, 43 views)
Top   #7

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Forum Archive
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

The Aeclectic Tarot Forum closed permanently on July 14th, 2017. The public threads remain online as a read-only archive and resource. More information on our decision can be found here. Thank you for being a part of our active community over the past seventeen years.

Copyright © 1996 - 2017 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.