Macron vs. Le Pen

Barleywine

In looking for a new target for my "conflict and vulnerability" spread, I hit upon the upcoming French election, which is shaping up as a contest between Marine Le Pen and Emmanuel Macron. I know very little about it beyond the impression that Le Pen is a conservative, anti-EU, nationalist candidate and Macron is on the other side of the fence (more amenable to the globalist agenda). Hopefully, some of our French members will correct me on anything I say here.

Given the state of immigration in Europe, I chose the World Spirit Tarot, which has a strong multi-racial, multi-cultural and multi-national flavor to it. I used reversals, and picked the Judgement card as Significator, indicative of "seeking a mandate for the future."

The positions for each candidate are: Strengths; Weaknesses; "Edge" (as in something the other doesn't have, perhaps a "smoking gun"); Allies' Power; and Chances for Success (sub-quint cards). The Decision is shown by calculating a Grand Quintessence from the two "subs." Macron got the top line and Le Pen the bottom one (see attached photo).

Strengths: Macron's strength is . . . well, Strength. If the May election were held today, he would be favored to win, 58% to 42%, according to US news sources, but Le Pen is closing the gap fast. The WS Strength card shows the Lion cozying up to a brown-skinned woman, suggesting that Macron has a liberal stance on immigration that garners him a lot of support.

Le Pen's strength is shown by the Emperor, which suggests championing a strong, independent French state that can "go it alone." Score: null

Weaknesses: Macron's weakness is shown by Justice rx, implying that he is seen as weak in upholding the existing laws of the land. Le Pen's weakness is Ace of Cups rx, which indicates she may be seen as unsympathetic or unemotional. Score: Macron +1

The next two cards create a fascinating picture.

"Edge": Macron's "edge" is shown by the Empress rx. The Empress corresponds to the Hebrew letter Daleth, meaning "Door," and the reversal makes me think "the door is ajar." The implication is that Macron may support an "open door" immigration policy, which finds a sympathetic response among many French voters. Le Pen's "edge" is shown by the 5 of Pentacles, and it couldn't be clearer that she most likely wants to slam that door shut, mainly on economic grounds. Score: Macron +1

Allies' Power: Macron's allies are shown by the Ace of Swords rx, which looks like internal bickering and in-fighting, which could weaken his position. Le Pen's allies appear as the Ace of Wands, suggesting a strongly-unified sense of purpose and passion. Score: Le Pen +1

Chances of Success: The sub-quint for Macron was the Chariot rx, which carries the idea that "the wheels will fall off" his campaign, suggesting that he will stall in the late going. Le Pen's sub-quint is the Hermit, which looks like her isolationist stance will remain firm and effective. Score: Le Pen +1

Grand Quint: the High Priestess. Just on the face of it, it suggests feminine ascendancy and leadership. But I use additional factors to see which line is supported most by the Decision card.

Macron's line has four trumps in it, suggesting dominance and superiority, but three of them are weakened by reversal, implying that he is vulnerable to being outmaneuvered or undermined. He has one Fire card, two Air, one Earth and one Water. The High Priestess, as Water, is friendly to the Chariot sub-quint and the Empress, unfriendly to Strength, and neutral to Justice and the Ace of Swords.

Le Pen's line has two trump cards, both upright. Only the Ace of Cups is reversed, suggesting a certain "dryness." She has two Fire cards, two Earth, and one Water. The High Priestess is friendly with the Ace of Cups, the 5 of Pentacles and the Hermit, and unfriendly with the Emperor and the Ace of Wands. Score: Le Pen +2

It looks like neither candidate will be able to play effectively to their strengths in the final analysis. Both are Fire cards unfriendly to the High Priestess, the difference being that Strength corresponds to Leo, fixed Fire and therefore more middle-of-the-road, while the Emperor is Aries, cardinal Fire and more of a "firebrand." Macron may be seen as too accommodating and Le Pen as too volatile.

The scoring came out +4 for Le Pen mainly for a stronger showing in the quints, and +2 for Macron (I gave reversed trumps favor over the minor cards in all cases), with one "null" result (the Strength positions are essentially equal). The High Priestess seems more aligned to Le Pen, three friendly dignities to Macron's two, and Le Pen is less bedeviled by reversals. There is also the "feminine factor" imparted by the High Priestess. If I were a betting man, I might well bet that she pulls it off.

Attachments

• Macron vs LePen.JPG
    Macron vs LePen.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 102

decan

Great and detailed analysis Barleywine! Thanks!
Plus I find that it is relevant with regard to the present situation!

So yesterday evening, indeed, Macron and Le Pen were classified for the final election. Therefore one of them will be the next French President.
Macron's score: 23,7%
Le Pen's score: 21,5%
This is in line with polls, but the surprise was the participation (more important than expected, actually about 78%). Well our democratic system is working!

-Macron is young for a candidate that is in the second round of the presidential election. He was in the last government but we can probably say that he is at "the center" on the political scene currently (it is difficult to say because his "politic identity" isn't too strong). I think that he benefited from the failures of the other canditates and has a lot of supports.
-Le Pen is on the political scene for a long time and french people know her name because her father did "the same job". She represents the ultra-right wing and she is probably the equivalent of Trump in the US (I'm not certain). She has a lot of supports as well, but her impact in public opinion is less predictable.

ETA:
It's difficult for me to add something relevant because Barleywine interpretation is very detailed!
But concerning the first card in each row:
*Macron strength: Strength card
We don't know very much Macron personality because he is a new political figure (3 years ago, we didn't know him at all!). I will say he is confident in his strength and in himself, and possibly too confident!
*Le Pen strength: the Emperor
For me the Emperor could refer to her personality; she is said very authoritative and direct, at times "agressive" i.e. she could have harsh words towards her adversaries.

Barleywine

What I find especially interesting is that neither of the more established parties obtained a foothold in the second round. It suggests that, whichever way the election goes, there will be repercussions of some kind. I wasn't fully aware of their political affiliations when I did the reading, but suspected that the other candidates were running behind Macron and Le Pen.

Blackneko

(Sorry for my bad english, it's a long message and I used traductor for write haha)

I do not defend anybody but I go on to say why macron is not a good choice (personal opinion, obviously) and wherein Le Pen is not "just a racist" but she have to a program like the others.

Personally I do not think Macron is a good choice.
He is the basis of the "Loi Travail" subsequently referred to as the El Khomri law which gives enormous power to corporate bosses and withdraws many powers and rights from employees.
Moreover, this famous law passed in force with the aid of the 49/3 and thus against the majority opinion of the French people but also of the senate.
This means that the French vote for a candidate using a liberticidal policy.
The French have already forgotten what they have protested because of media manipulation.
[New : With the card of Judgment we can already see the desire to be reborn of the French people, the desire to get out of the current situation, conflicts and tensions of all kinds.
As for Macron, we can see in the first place that the majority of the cards are overturned, this speaks to us of the certain problems that will have to face.
With the Strength card the tarot tells us that he knows how to use his intelligence to control the situation.
Reversed justice tells us about the difficulty of remaining fair and balanced.
Indeed this one has a tendency to change sides, it does not keep a definitive position, it must therefore that it happens to choose clearly a position because here it is more or less unbalanced with sometimes speech incoherent because of this.
The Ace of sword can point to the fact that it is not yet up to date on its ideas and its program and as a result it may lose control of future events.]

Le Pen wants the French to make their choices on future laws through referenda and may ask to review certain texts.
She wants to repeal the "Loi Travail", wants to put animal protection in the foreground and to send back from France the terrorists and "fichés S" that threaten our country.
She is compared to Hitler or Trump because of the mediates that demonize her, but none of those who spit on her without further argument that "FN = NAZI" has bothered to read her program.
The French are shouting that she is racist while it does not touch the laicity but wants to put an end to the radical Islamist terrorism!
She also wants to put in place a policy of co-development with the countries of Africa.
And she does not want to make france a country closed on itself but to ensure that our country is no longer a sieve that welcomes anyone in a mass.
[New : At first we can see that, in reverse on Macron, there is here only one card reversed.
The strength of MLP is the emperor, so one sees his ability to lead and be a leader for the French.
But the Ace of cups indicates a problem for the emotional.
Is she too severe? Or is it the fact that his political party has a bad reputation?
With the last three cards we can see that France is going through a bad pass especially in terms of finances, so we must put forward the energy of the Ace of wands to try to straighten the country but It will also be necessary to review and work with past mistakes because they are terribly important.
With the high priestess the French will surely end up reading the book of truth or in any case seeking the truth.
It is possible that it is a woman with a certain authority who will show the truth to the French.]

The French are not satisfied with Hollande but voted in favor of his heir, here we do not have the courage to vote for change, to vote macron it is as if we kept Hollande.
We'll have to vote smart!
Either we keep the policy of Hollande which does not satisfy us or we change.

Have a nice day !

DDwarks

Macron's line has four trumps in it, suggesting dominance and superiority, but three of them are weakened by reversal, implying that he is vulnerable to being outmaneuvered or undermined. He has one Fire card, two Air, one Earth and one Water. The High Priestess, as Water, is friendly to the Chariot sub-quint and the Empress, unfriendly to Strength, and neutral to Justice and the Ace of Swords.

Where's the score for this one? Le Pen's line has one but not Macron?
Le Pen's line has two trump cards, both upright. Only the Ace of Cups is reversed, suggesting a certain "dryness." She has two Fire cards, two Earth, and one Water. The High Priestess is friendly with the Ace of Cups, the 5 of Pentacles and the Hermit, and unfriendly with the Emperor and the Ace of Wands. Score: Le Pen +2

Barleywine

Where's the score for this one? Le Pen's line has one but not Macron?

That one is covered by this statement:

"But I use additional factors to see which line is supported most by the Decision card."

It is one consideration for the comparison of both lines, not two, and I gave Le Pen all the points, none to Macron. It would have been better if I had said "Macron: 0 points."

prudence

Moderator Note

Hi Folks,

Just a friendly reminder from our posting rules

You must interpret some of the cards, don't post just to comment on the situation or offer advice.

I'm obligated to remove posts that don't address any cards. Could everyone please keep the cards as the main focus when replying?

Thank you,

Prudence

DDwarks

That one is covered by this statement:

"But I use additional factors to see which line is supported most by the Decision card."

It is one consideration for the comparison of both lines, not two, and I gave Le Pen all the points, none to Macron. It would have been better if I had said "Macron: 0 points."

Gotcha! We Europeans need it Eurovision style ;)

I'll come back to chime in later when kiddo's in bed.

decan

Hi Prudence,
Oh, I'm sorry for that. Thank you for this reminder!

I edited to add to my previous post some short comments concerning two cards.

Barleywine

It's difficult for me to add something relevant because Barleywine interpretation is very detailed!
But concerning the first card in each row:
*Macron strength: Strength card
We don't know very much Macron personality because he is a new political figure (3 years ago, we didn't know him at all!). I will say he is confident in his strength and in himself, and possibly too confident!
*Le Pen strength: the Emperor
For me the Emperor could refer to her personality; she is said very authoritative and direct, at times "agressive" i.e. she could have harsh words towards her adversaries.

I think it's Macron's self-confidence that came across most clearly. I did a little digging on his background back in February and came away with kind of a "golden boy" image, which squares well with the Leo association for the Strength card (but it looks like he was born very near the Winter Solstice, so either a very late Sagittarius or a very early Capricorn depending on birth time). Strength and its fixed-sign correspondence underscores the "centrist" approach Macron is trying to sell to the voters.

With Le Pen, I was thinking of the Emperor as a "law-and-order" type, clearly pointed at the immigration dilemma. That she may be autocratic is certainly a possibility, but I don't get the impression of a demagogue-in-the-making.