Elemental Opposites

Barleywine

I've been reading Paul Fenton-Smith's Tarot Masterclass and scratching my head over his take on elemental opposites. He's been saying "Wands are opposite to Pentacles" and "Cups are opposite to Swords." In the usual Golden Dawn system of correspondences, Wands are opposite and unfriendly to Cups (Fire and Water can't coexist in their pure forms) and Swords are opposite and unfriendly to Pentacles, while the Wands/Pentacles and Cups/Swords pairings are mutually "neutral and supportive."

Then I realized he seems to be talking about complementary opposites but failed to make that point clear, as in one suit lacking something the other suit can supply (for example, Wands can lack staying power while Pentacles can be too inert); in pursuing the "Wands path," he advises taking on some of the qualities of Pentacles. My usual thinking about opposites in GD terms is that they're antagonistic to one another; it's the neutral pairs that are more complementary. I can only think that it's Fenton-Smith's unspoken resolve to not have any negative connotations in his book because it does seem pretty "vanilla" overall.

If you use elemental dignities, how do you see it?

krisa

For me the cups-swords and wands-pentacles makes PERFECT sense since I associate suits to Jungian typology functions, for me it's
cups=feeling, swords=thinking -> opposite
wands=intuition, pentacles=sensing -> opposite

Barleywine

For me the cups-swords and wands-pentacles makes PERFECT sense since I associate suits to Jungian typology functions, for me it's
cups=feeling, swords=thinking -> opposite
wands=intuition, pentacles=sensing -> opposite

Yes, from the standpoint of complementary opposites it makes perfect sense since they suggest the possibility of a point of equilibrium between the extremes. From the tarot perspective of Elemental Dignities, not so much. I think what's in play there are the classical elemental correspondences of Empedocles.

rwcarter

Pretty sure I have Masterclass but haven't read it yet.

I really like the idea of complimentary opposites, whether or not that's what Fenton-Smith meant! I've always felt that making neutral interactions friendly left EDs unbalanced, so I leave neutral interactions neutral and let the two cards tell me how they want to interact. Complementary opposites very nicely balances EDs!

Rodney

Barleywine

Pretty sure I have Masterclass but haven't read it yet.

I really like the idea of complimentary opposites, whether or not that's what Fenton-Smith meant! I've always felt that making neutral interactions friendly left EDs unbalanced, so I leave neutral interactions neutral and let the two cards tell me how they want to interact. Complementary opposites very nicely balances EDs!

Rodney

I came to the same conclusion a while back. The actual phrase in the GD material I have is "neutral and supportive;" "friendly" was reserved for the pairs Wands and Swords, Cups and Pentacles, and "unfriendly" was applied to Wands and Cups, Swords and Pentacles. I like the idea of complementary opposites for the rest too because I think it neatly summarizes their interaction. Friendly pairs pull (or push) vigorously together in the same direction, unfriendly pairs just as strenuously resist cooperation, and the neutral pairs coexist in a kind of constructive symbiosis.